Researching Princess - Balcony Question

stampinrobin

Hi,

I'm researching Princess for our next cruise and thought I had read once a long time ago that there is a deck on Princess ships that do not have covered balconies.

Is that true, what deck would that be, is it the same on all ships?

Looking at Caribbean Princess and definately want a covered balcony.

Thanks!

Robin

Hi,

I'm researching Princess for our next cruise and thought I had read once a long time ago that there is a deck on Princess ships that do not have covered balconies.

Is that true, what deck would that be, is it the same on all ships?

Looking at Caribbean Princess and definately want a covered balcony.

Thanks!

Robin

We were on the Dolphin Deck (deck 9) on the Crown Princess in a mini-suite and our balcony was completely uncovered. I liked it as you got more sun on the balcony and could look up and see what was going on above you. :)

Carribean Princess:

Rivera Deck - pretty sure they are totally covered standard size

Aloha Deck - totally covered standard size

Baja Deck - totally covered standard size

Caribe Deck - half covered, half uncovered. Larger deck than standard

Dolphin Deck - totally UNcovered - possibly larger thank standard, but not sure?

Emerald - totally covered I belive but not sure of size and this is a lower deck so unsure of how nice it is down there.

We always go with Baja deck as it is totally covered and it's not below the pool area and not above any common areas either. Although Caribe has half covered/half uncovered and is a larger balcony we prefer ours and don't like having others looking down on us, which they can not from Baja deck.

I hope you don't mind me coming in here to ask an additional balcony question - do the regular balcony cabins really only have a chair in the stateroom? No loveseat or sofa? That doesn't seem really comfortable for a lengthy stay. Thanks.

I hope you don't mind me coming in here to ask an additional balcony question - do the regular balcony cabins really only have a chair in the stateroom? No loveseat or sofa? That doesn't seem really comfortable for a lengthy stay. Thanks.

It is true that the balcony cabins have a chair. The mini-suites have the coach and a second tv. We have loved our mini-suites since we have traveled with friends and family. They come to visit and do not have to sit on my bed.:)

It's true - no couch/loveseat just a chair. I find it enough room for me and hubby but i'm sure a mini suite would be even better!! Here's the deck plan for balcony room:

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/cb/deck_plans/index.html

It is true that the balcony cabins have a chair. The mini-suites have the coach and a second tv. We have loved our mini-suites since we have traveled with friends and family. They come to visit and do not have to sit on my bed.:)

Oh, I know about the mini-suites! I love them! I knew it would be tough for us, since a mini-suite was our very first cruise stateroom, to try anything smaller. We just did HAL in a balcony room, and even with the uncomfortable little slanted loveseat, it didn't give us much room for storage or comfort.

We have had balconies on the Diamond (mini suite exposed balcony), caribe deck balconies (half covered half exposed) and those on the Sea Princess which are built into the hull of the ship and are narrow and covered. We have enjoyed them all, but especially the caribe deck ones. Some have said that they don't like being overlooked on the dolphin exposed open balconies (and some with caribe balconies have also said a similar thing), but we have never found that people stand looking down on us at all! In fact, most of time when I have looked up, the balconies have been empty. If we are on the balcony, we don't spend our time looking down on the balconies below anyway, so why should anyone else? We are on our balcony to enjoy the sun or shade, or to look at the scenery or approaching port, and I expect that most others are too when on their balconies.

Dolphin minis have the extra room with the sofa and this is really nice if you spend a lot of time in the cabin, but if you spend a lot of time on the balcony, a caribe one may be the way to go. Depends on the price difference between the mini and the balcony cabin too.

It depends on the ship. On the small ships (Ocean, Pacific and Royal) there is a love seat in the balcony cabins.

Emerald - totally covered I belive but not sure of size and this is a lower deck so unsure of how nice it is down there.
These are mini-suites only, not standard balcony cabins, and they are, IMHO, the best location on the ship. Very quiet and private.

It's true - no couch/loveseat just a chair. I find it enough room for me and hubby but i'm sure a mini suite would be even better!!
Instead of a small couch, you get a lot more storage room, a closed closet with shelves from top to bottom, a big open closet and dressing area that's separate from the "living" area in the cabin. The cabins are probably approximately the same size; just a different layout.

Also, be sure that your intinery is really conusive to spending time on your balcony.......we went to Alaska [7 days], spent a lot on our Balcony suite and could only use it on two occasions.......all other days were so cold and windy, "forget about it!"

We spent a lot of the rest of our journey in the Horizon Court, with hot chocolate and peering our the window!

No matter what cabin you choose have a super, wonderful time!

Also, be sure that your intinery is really conusive to spending time on your balcony.......we went to Alaska [7 days], spent a lot on our Balcony suite and could only use it on two occasions.......all other days were so cold and windy, "forget about it!"

We spent a lot of the rest of our journey in the Horizon Court, with hot chocolate and peering our the window!

No matter what cabin you choose have a super, wonderful time!

Sorry about all the grammatical errors.......NEVER type and try to work at the same time......I think you all got my point though!

Thank goodness we're not being graded on our posts!

Archived