Deciding between RCI and HAL

Okay, we are planning a cruise with our 4 kiddos this Oct. and can't decide between RCI and HAL. The things that are important to us are:

Food,

family friendly entertainment (no g-string clad dancers),

Things for the kids to do!

I have not heard good things about the food on RCI, but have heard rave reviews about HAL.

Haven't heard anything too much about the entertainment on either ship.

I imagine that there are probably more things for the kids to do on RCI.

OH, I forgot about price. HAL is doing a thing where the 3rd and 4th person in your room are free right now, so they are cheaper by about $300. Would RCI be worth $300 more than HAL? Has anyone sailed both of these with kids? We have kids that range from 5-15 yrs old.

The kids will enjoy RCCL more. Johnny Rockets, rock climbing, flow-rider, ice-skating, mini-golf, etc. RCCL offers an adult show (usually a comedian) at a different time than the family show(s). There is a variety of food available w/o going to the specialty restaurants and neither line offers the same food as a 5-Star restaurant. We've always found RCCL to be a family cruise line. If just you and wife, HAL might be okay but I definetely feel the kids will enjoy RCCL more.

I'd say RCI..though HAL is more family friendly these days I would say that RCI had the edge for their rock climbing wall..basketball court..mini golf..etc.

True the food on HAL is much better than RCI but you can get good meals on the latter by paying a bit extra and going to the specialty restaurants. The service on HAL is usually stellar. Their Indonesian crew is exceptional.

I have done both and believe RCCL would be worth the extra for the kids.I am in my fifty's and believe I was one of the youngest on my Hal cruise.Dead is how I found Hal. Would definitely not even consider it for my grandchildren.

I've done both. I give the edge on food to HAL especially the Lido buffet. Lots of variety. In terms of kids programming, Royal has the edge. More space dedicated to the kids/teens. My son liked both programs, but was in different age groups for the different lines. In terms of entertainment, both are good, but HAL dies down after the evening shows. I can entertain myself, so I call this a draw.

I would probably go with the better price/itinerary, if I considered the price difference substantial.

Archived