Volcano stops flights.

I was thinking about today's changeover on Celebration.....all flights stopped because of the volcanic ash cloud. Our Thomson's rep in Sharm told us that they meet 17 planes from virtually every UK airport on Thursdays, and of course, all the pax will be waiting on board for flights home.

At least they won't be turned off the ship at 9.30 am, like so many ships.

Jo.

Hi Jo,

Not good, there's a big gap Over us, Scandinavia, Denmark, and parts of Germany and Belgium shown on the BBC news now.

As you say at least they won't chuck passengers off the ship.

We had to be off the Royal caribbean ship in June at 6.30 a.m. And it was so early even the check in in Rome did not open for an hour after we got there.

It's the people flying out you feel for, at least the ones stuck in Sharm will have enjoyed their holiday even if they can't get back.

Berwyn

I see there is a news flash on the Thomson Holiday website advising that there will be no flights allowed in UK airspace from 12 noon today till at least 6pm.

People flying out of Glasgow, Newcastle, Doncaster, East Mid, Birmingham are advised to go back home! If this isn't possible they will be put up overnight.A 24 hour delay is anticipated.

The volcanic ash cloud is expected to make it's way south - possibly affecting more & more filghts.

Better safe than sorry.

Flopsy

They are having a lot of bad luck with red sea magic this year. This weeks departure is the last one before the repositioning cruise? Any extended delay and its curtains to the Petra excursion which, for me, was the highlight of the cruise.

The cloud of volcanic ash is now spread across the UK and continuing to travel south. In line with international civil aviation policy, no flights other than agreed emergencies are currently permitted in UK controlled airspace. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that these restrictions will remain in place in UK controlled airspace until 0700 (UK time) tomorrow, Friday 16 April, at the earliest. We will review further Met Office information and at 2000 today (UK time) we will advise the arrangements that will be in place through to 1300 (UK time) tomorrow.

We continue to work closely with airports, airlines, and the rest of Europe to understand and mitigate the implications of the volcanic eruption.

One cheerful comment was that this eruption could seriously disrupt air transport over northern europe for months. Apparently the last time this volcano erupted it lasted over a year! The worse case scenario would see serious economic disruption and the virtual destruction of the overseas holiday business.:eek:

Hopefully the wind will change direction soon.

One cheerful comment was that this eruption could seriously disrupt air transport over northern europe for months. Apparently the last time this volcano erupted it lasted over a year! The worse case scenario would see serious economic disruption and the virtual destruction of the overseas holiday business.:eek:

Hopefully the wind will change direction soon.

Fingers crossed that it 'blows over' quickly.

Extra glad I did my cruise over Easter holidays.

I have reached that stage in my life where I try to grab every opportunity when it happens - 'cos you never know what is around the corner.

Only booked my cruise a week before I went, and I never thought a Volcano would scupper other peoples holiday plans.

Airport delays are dreadful anyway, but not even knowing if you will ever get there must be unbearable

My parents are in a party of 4 and are the lucky ones - they flew from Bristol Airport this morning and have arrived in Sharm for the Red Sea Cruise- it must have been one of the last flights to leave the UK, I guess. I will be interested to hear from them how many flights got out and whether the cruise departs or if they are still "holding" all passengers who were on the previous weeks cruise? If nothing else, at least they are on the ship and will enjoy the facilities.

I feel so sorry for everyone not knowing whether they will be able to get there from the UK or not....

My parents are in a party of 4 and are the lucky ones - they flew from Bristol Airport this morning and have arrived in Sharm for the Red Sea Cruise- it must have been one of the last flights to leave the UK, I guess. I will be interested to hear from them how many flights got out and whether the cruise departs or if they are still "holding" all passengers who were on the previous weeks cruise? If nothing else, at least they are on the ship and will enjoy the facilities.

I feel so sorry for everyone not knowing whether they will be able to get there from the UK or not....

Hi Jules , yes they were very lucky, thats whats good about an early morning flight ,shame about the others of course

mrs.c

Hi Jules , yes they were very lucky, thats whats good about an early morning flight ,shame about the others of course

mrs.c

I have looked at the brochure & it looks like a lot of the flights were morning flights - their's didn't leave until 1030 but I think a lot of flights from Scotland & "Up north" were cancelled so maybe those just didn't get there. All the Bristol flights after their's was cancelled though.

There was a reporter in Glasgow, in front of the destinations board, and 2 flights were for Sharm- not going, of course.

Problems for Thomson, if several of this morning's flights got thru', because they wouldn't be able to fly returns home on the same flights, so would have extra pax on board. I suppose they'll be put up in the hotels.

I see that OV's cruise was leaving today, and had the same problem.

Just love nature! :eek:

Jo.

we are stranded at the erskine hotel for another night as we come from the north of scotland so not worth the journey back home to come back again. it doesnt look good for the morn so its like its going to be cancelled:mad:,never mind we went upto loch lomond and went on the ferry:D

There was a reporter in Glasgow, in front of the destinations board, and 2 flights were for Sharm- not going, of course.

Problems for Thomson, if several of this morning's flights got thru', because they wouldn't be able to fly returns home on the same flights, so would have extra pax on board. I suppose they'll be put up in the hotels.

I see that OV's cruise was leaving today, and had the same problem.

Just love nature! :eek:

Jo.

When we were delayed in november and didn't arrive back into Sharm until the Thursday evening, we were all taken off the ship and put up in hotels overnight. I would guess that if only some flights arrived the passengers due back on those could leave the ship and be moved to hotels.

Of course it's not that simple though is it, Thomsons wil have to do the sums and see how many can be accomodated on the ship. We stayed overnight in a 5 star A/I hotel so didn't do too badly. I hope there aren't loads of people stranded at Sharm airport though.

And don't forget the worst weather that Sharm's had in living memory, in Jan, which brought down the roof of terminal 2, and created a bigger chaos than usual with the incoming flights! It took hours for everyone to claim their luggage- all over the place!

We had a week in a hotel first, and there was a storm which came right over the reef and onto the prom- the beach was shut for hours. The roof over reception and top floor rooms came down.

Jo.

Before the storms and the costa crash we were delayed in Safaga.

On what should have been the last day of our cruise when we should have woken and looked out of the porthole to see we had arrived back in Sharm........we looked out of the porthole and we were still in Safaga.

we are stranded at the erskine hotel for another night as we come from the north of scotland so not worth the journey back home to come back again. it doesnt look good for the morn so its like its going to be cancelled:mad:,never mind we went upto loch lomond and went on the ferry:D

Sorry to hear of your troubles and hope you get off soon - as the dust settles so to speak. Have a good trip and safe journey home. Fellow Scot :)

they are saying there might be no flights for another 48 hours.

This cruise is jinxed,

First the costa crash

Then the b a strike threats

Then the ticket delays

Now an ash cloud

Help...........

Don't despair, things will work out. You can't legislate for nature.

We were on he red sea magic last week - fab. Just had a week at sonesta beach nt so good. Couldn't fly yesterday of course. People from Thomson celebration sat at airport for nearly four hours before being sent to hotels. We are currently at the AI Maritim Royal Peninsular - lovely - waiting for news from the rep at 1pm... Weather is still great here and if I was back in the UK now I'd be doing the shopping at Tesco :)

when will flights be back on? I'm starting to get worried now .

Hi Kev,

There was an Icelandic Meteorologist on BBC Breakfast this a.m. an he sais there is only so much ice to melt on top of the volcano crater. Once that clears even if the volcano still erupts there won't be any ice to mix with the lava and blast the dust so high into the atmosphere.

There has been a clear window over lunch and Manchester got 3 empty planes off to fetch people and 2 planes of passengers landed.

Looks like we'll be OK, it's just the poor holidaymakers this week losing out.

Berwyn

P.S

I've been working the past 2 nights and here on the N. Wales coast we're right under the flight paths for Liverpool and Manchester.And normally as dawn breaks

the sky is full of vapour trails as they're passing overhead to land at 6 a.m

There's been nothing the past 2 mornings just a clear sky.

I've never seen that before in 30 years of working nights.

Berwyn

Archived