Non-Smoking Cabins

suncruising

As a non-smoker who absolutely cannot stand any kind of smoke I'm wondering about the cabins since I see that is one of the places people are allowed to smoke. Are there specific smoking and non-smoking cabins? I'm concerned we could get a room where there is a lingering smell and wonder how fixable the situation would be once we're underway. Please advise. Thanks!

If you do a search for any smoking thread, you'll see this addressed. multiple times. However, that being said, smoking is allowed in the cabins, there are no smoking/non-smoking cabins, however, you will see many people say that you can't smell it in the cabin as they use some kind of air ionizers that get rid of it efficiently. If you do smell anything in your cabin you can notify the cabin steward who will organize a thorough cleaning. some people will tell you they still smell it, some say you can't tell anything at all. we have not been able to tell if someone smoked or not in our cabin.

I wonder why they allow you to request a "non-smoking" cabin (in special requests section of cruise personalizer) on the princess website...since they don't exist. :confused:

I believe the cruise personalizer option is for land portions of cruise tours, not on the ship. this is what I've been told anyhow. Someone said they can't offer S vs NS cabins b/c it would be too difficult to organize. For instance, if the ship had more smokers than non, they would be stuck in NS cabins or if they had more Non-smokers, well, you get the drift. Also, someone mentioned that people like their certain cabins and locations and would be put off if they could not book it due to it being reserved for smokers and vice versa. The smoking threads get heated but can also be entertaining. It does not bother me either way, I don't smoke but have a lot of friends that do. But I do enjoy the read which is where I picked up most of this stuff.

either way, I hope the OP goes on the cruise, I don't think they'll be bothered in the cabin and will have a blast!

Happy Cruising! :-)

I wonder why they allow you to request a "non-smoking" cabin (in special requests section of cruise personalizer) on the princess website...since they don't exist. :confused:

IIRC, it does not allow you to request a nonsmoking cabin, only a nonsmoking room, which is a giveaway that it is for land tours or pre- or post-cruise packages in hotels.

If smoking is such an important issue. wouldn't you be better off booking on a ship that is completely non-smoking rather than expect a ship that allows smoking to ruin your vacation or ruin the vacation of someone who is smoking where they are allowed but you can't handle it. Posting on this issue lately has been constant and I certainly understand someone not wanting to be around smoking. I am a non-smoker as well, but have friends or associates that smoke and fortunately it does not bother me. They go out of their way not to offend me with it and I tolerate it because their friendship is valuable to me. It's kind of like someone moving out the country and then complaining of the smell of manure. Just my two cents. I hope you have a great vacation.

If smoking is such an important issue. wouldn't you be better off booking on a ship that is completely non-smoking rather than expect a ship that allows smoking to ruin your vacation or ruin the vacation of someone who is smoking where they are allowed but you can't handle it. Posting on this issue lately has been constant and I certainly understand someone not wanting to be around smoking. I am a non-smoker as well, but have friends or associates that smoke and fortunately it does not bother me. They go out of their way not to offend me with it and I tolerate it because their friendship is valuable to me. It's kind of like someone moving out the country and then complaining of the smell of manure. Just my two cents. I hope you have a great vacation.

Are you saying other countries smell like manure??

I don't think we should be run off of Princess ships because we don't like the smell of smoke in our personal space. I think we should be vocal about change. They have already made some changes with the times, it's just time for them to make more. I have never advocated for a non-smoking ship. The last thing I want to do is spend my vacation with 20% of the population in the throes of nicotine withdrawal. I just say it's time to limit it more to the point it doesn't interfere with those of us wanting to breath! Every ship should have a "smoking room". If they want to smoke and breath in second hand, third hand and fourth hand smoke, et cetera, it's certainly within their rights!!!

Princess does not have non-smoking cabins
Right. Smoking is allowed in most cabins. I have never had the residual smell of smoke in any cabin I've had and I'm very sensitive to the odor. Princess does a very good job of air exchange in cabins. I believe I read once (or twice) that the air is exchanged every 7 minutes.

It doesn't say non-smoking cabin; it says "non-smoking hotel room" ( Non-smoking hotel room) which refers to any pre- or post-cruise package you may have purchased. On land, it's a "room"; on a ship, it's a "cabin." That's your biggest clue.

I don't think we should be run off of Princess ships because we don't like the smell of smoke in our personal space. I think we should be vocal about change. They have already made some changes with the times, it's just time for them to make more. I have never advocated for a non-smoking ship. The last thing I want to do is spend my vacation with 20% of the population in the throes of nicotine withdrawal. I just say it's time to limit it more to the point it doesn't interfere with those of us wanting to breath! Every ship should have a "smoking room". If they want to smoke and breath in second hand, third hand and fourth hand smoke, et cetera, it's certainly within their rights!!!

You are so right in being vocal, it has really made changes in the world we live in today...however it works two ways but the smokers aren't using their rights in being vocal which in turn is helping the non smokers and their rights.

But to get back on topic, the crew does a great job in clearing the cabin of all smoke odors, my wife hates smoke sooo much but has never had an issue in any of our cabins.

OP should be aware that cabins typically don't smell of smoke but if (s)he has a balcony, (s)he may be bothered on their balcony. Something to keep in mind since smoking is allowed on the balconies including cigar smoking on some (all?) ships. It was allowed on the Crown but not on the Grand in January.

So true. There are reasons we're not booking with lines such as Oceania. So when people suggest those of us who don't care for being around smokers, I just think about how even 30 years ago, there were smoking an dnon-smoking sections in California restaurants...now, there aren't. The percentage of smokers to non-smokers is constantly changing due to many people giving up the habit (as well as another reason we could think of).

That said, I have never entered a cabin on the first day of a cruise and been assaulted with the smell of tobacco. The cabin stewards have a spray they use. Wish hotels would use it as I have gagged while entering some hotel rooms.

And I think us smokers should be vocal about not further limiting our smoking areas. I write that on every comment card or survey I get.

OP should be aware that cabins typically don't smell of smoke but if (s)he has a balcony, (s)he may be bothered on their balcony. Something to keep in mind since smoking is allowed on the balconies including cigar smoking on some (all?) ships. It was allowed on the Crown but not on the Grand in January.

Maybe that's why my cabin stunk on the Grand in Jan. This was the first time it's ever happened on Princess and took a few days to clean up the stale smoke smell. They're forcing cigar smokers inside the cabins which makes things much worse for people on the next cruise.

And I think us smokers should be vocal about not further limiting our smoking areas. I write that on every comment card or survey I get.

Good luck with that....there are 7 people in favor of limiting for every 3 against.

Good luck with that....there are 7 people in favor of limiting for every 3 against.

Your point is a good one. The numbers are actually even more lopsided than this. Just recently the number of adults in the US who smoke dipped under 20%. So it is slightly more than 8 people in favor of limiting for every 2 against. And this doesn't count children. I assume children who cruise would rather not be subjected to the dangers of second and third hand smoke. Children can and should fill out comment cards as well indicating their desire to avoid being subjected to the dangers of second and third hand smoke while on a cruise.

Which line would that be??? I really enjoyed so many lines before my cancer came up - now I have to take care.

Archived