Galveston

With all the itineraries released this week, are we at the point where we know that Galveston will not have a ship for the 2011/1012 season? I've been waiting to book a late December 2011 cruise and I'm getting very sad.

With all the itineraries released this week, are we at the point where we know that Galveston will not have a ship for the 2011/1012 season? I've been waiting to book a late December 2011 cruise and I'm getting very sad.

RCCL's CrusiingPower website HAS a transatlantic itinerary for the Voyager leaving Barcelona and coming back to Galveston in Nov 2011. I dont know why we cant book it but it is their TA system, just not released yet.

Keep the faith!

Come over to Carnival boards

Look for thread titled Crazies Sept 26, 2010 by Host Mach

There is a couple known as Pirate and Princess who live in Cedar Park, TX Also there is a gal Lambie who lives in Leander, TX

I'm just looking to book my first RCI cruise for next year, and I have a question about Galveston. Do you like it simply because you live in the area, or is there some other reason you like Galveston as a departure port?

For me it's because we live here. We save on airfare and hotel sailing from Galveston. Although the itineraries aren't the greatest (IMHO) I go for the vacation of it...

I'm just looking to book my first RCI cruise for next year, and I have a question about Galveston. Do you like it simply because you live in the area, or is there some other reason you like Galveston as a departure port?

Another one that enjoys leaving from Galveston due to the fact that it close by and driveable. We do not have to fool with airline rules + the extra costs.

We do live on the island and the 15 blocks to the pier is quite an incentive.

However, there is so much to do every weekend that we must pick and choose our agenda.

Example: Tonight is Asleep at the Wheel at the 1894 Grand Opera House, tomorrow: Farmers market in the morning, wine and food festival in the afternoon and Art Walk tomorrow night, Greek festival Saturday and Sunday.

Check out Galveston.com for activities

X3, we live just west of Houston and only drive a little over an hour to the terminal, that is the only reason we go to Galveston. We may not even cruise if we had to fly somewhere...lazy I know :)

Galveston is a bit difficult for people who have to fly because the airport is not all that close to the port. It's nearly an hour drive from the airports in Houston to the port in Galveston.

That said, being from the northeast, I've done that same length drive multiple times in order to fly into Fort Lauderdale and sail out of Miami. Flights to FLL are generally enough of a cost savings to make up for the additional travel cost.

We're looking at booking a cruise on Voyager next week and here's why we're considering it.

• It's a better western Caribbean itinerary. The cruise is for my son's graduation. He loves Cozumel. However, having done a number of western Caribbean cruises, I'm pretty tired of Grand Cayman and I'm not interested in Falmouth, Jamaica. The week we're traveling, Voyager includes Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. This offers a pretty wide variety of ports, from flat to mountainous and from touristy to undeveloped. For my son, it's all about THREE sea days!
  • We're traveling during a week when the northeast schools are on break, but Texas schools are not. (Different parts of the country have different school vacation schedules.) Galveston cruises are not adding the school-break premium to the cost of our sailing, making it a more reasonable price.
  • Air fare is not significantly more to Texas than to Florida. I was surprised.
  • None of us have been to Texas. We've all been to Florida multiple times. We used to LIVE in Florida. We'll get to see another part of the country before we cruise - even if it's just for one day.
  • I hear Texans are REALLY fun to cruise with. I hope they prove to be as great as folks from Minnesota. I always seem to meet fun people from Minnesota on my cruises!!;)

As a port itself, Galveston could use some improving. It's not bad, and some of it was refurbished because of hurricane Ike (Fall 2008), so it is better than it was. I use it because we can drive. I especially was glad we had our car and not a flight when we returned from the Voyager of the Seas Easter Sunday -- we were fogged in and could not dock until 2pm. In fact, Galveston seems to have had several fog delays this season.

That said, I know lots of people do fly in and really enjoy seeing Houston and Galveston.

Galveston is a bit difficult for people who have to fly because the airport is not all that close to the port. It's nearly an hour drive from the airports in Houston to the port in Galveston.

That said, being from the northeast, I've done that same length drive multiple times in order to fly into Fort Lauderdale and sail out of Miami. Flights to FLL are generally enough of a cost savings to make up for the additional travel cost.

We're looking at booking a cruise on Voyager next week and here's why we're considering it.

• It's a better western Caribbean itinerary. The cruise is for my son's graduation. He loves Cozumel. However, having done a number of western Caribbean cruises, I'm pretty tired of Grand Cayman and I'm not interested in Falmouth, Jamaica. The week we're traveling, Voyager includes Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. This offers a pretty wide variety of ports, from flat to mountainous and from touristy to undeveloped. For my son, it's all about THREE sea days!
  • We're traveling during a week when the northeast schools are on break, but Texas schools are not. (Different parts of the country have different school vacation schedules.) Galveston cruises are not adding the school-break premium to the cost of our sailing, making it a more reasonable price.
  • Air fare is not significantly more to Texas than to Florida. I was surprised.
  • None of us have been to Texas. We've all been to Florida multiple times. We used to LIVE in Florida. We'll get to see another part of the country before we cruise - even if it's just for one day.
  • I hear Texans are REALLY fun to cruise with. I hope they prove to be as great as folks from Minnesota. I always seem to meet fun people from Minnesota on my cruises!!;)

This is a good post and, you have your facts "nailed". We really enjoy cruising with the Texans....they are good people.

Big difference cruising with locals from

"other ports".

The big majority of cruisers out of Galveston

come from the Texas area.

From where we live in Colorado, we could go to most any port out of Denver, but, Galveston

is our preference..although, I like San Diego

alot too...

I LOVE Galveston, and I don't live in Texas, I live in Los Angeles, and I love the Caribbean, and a 3.5 hour flight from LAX to Hobby is a lot shorter and a lot cheaper than a 5.5 hour flight to Miami, Ft. Lauderdale or Orlando!

I just booked my 4th cruise out of Galveston, the Voyager on 3/27/11. I will be sad if she leaves and doesn't come back!:(

And I also love cruising with Texans, they hooked me over New Years back in 2003 (back in the Rhapsody days), and I've been coming back ever since.

Gee thanks you guys...us Texicans ARE a right friendly bunch! Another reason beside no plane problems is you get to meet and cruise with your CC friends over and over!! Right Linda!?!

You'll love cruising out of Galveston. The only bothersome thing is the chance of fog. But make it an adventure if it happens and it will be no big deal. The December Fog cruise WAS a bad deal, but we cruised in Feb. with one of the voucher folks and alas...we had fog again, but made it out early in the a.m. and got to Roatan on time. Roatan being my absolutely favorite port on the Galveston itins. Coz second. Go to Mayan Princess in Roatan and get the day pass for $10. Lovely. Go to Nachi Cocom (you can google both these) and spend the day at an uncrowded All Inclusive resort on the beach in Coz. Bon Voyage!

I just booked my 4th cruise out of Galveston, the Voyager on 3/27/11. I will be sad if she leaves and doesn't come back!:(

Latest rumor is that the Voyager of the Seas will be back in Galveston for the 2011-2012 season, but no Freedom class ship.

This thread reminds me...I wonder what is happening with the new Houston Bayport terminal? Still vacant, I suppose.

Gee thanks you guys...us Texicans ARE a right friendly bunch! Another reason beside no plane problems is you get to meet and cruise with your CC friends over and over!! Right Linda!?!

You'll love cruising out of Galveston. The only bothersome thing is the chance of fog. But make it an adventure if it happens and it will be no big deal. The December Fog cruise WAS a bad deal, but we cruised in Feb. with one of the voucher folks and alas...we had fog again, but made it out early in the a.m. and got to Roatan on time. Roatan being my absolutely favorite port on the Galveston itins. Coz second. Go to Mayan Princess in Roatan and get the day pass for $10. Lovely. Go to Nachi Cocom (you can google both these) and spend the day at an uncrowded All Inclusive resort on the beach in Coz. Bon Voyage!

Ditto Becci. Another on the Feb. Voyager cruise that was fogged in but we still had a great time. I love Galveston cruises since it is only 30 minutes for me to drive there. I've only gone on one outside of Galveston & have one booked for Miami. Texas is the friendly state & we never meet a stranger. We try to make everyone feel welcomed!

We were on Voyager in March/April 2008 and enjoyed the ship and Galveston. Lots to see and do in the area. And yes, the Texans we met were freindly and enjoyable to be around. The only downside I can recall was the cost of ground transportation options from Hobby to Galveston, and the length of time it took to self-disembark (about 1 1/2 hours from getting in line on the ship through customs). We did not have any fog issues the two weekends we were in Galveston, but apparently can be a problem during winter and early spring.

Latest rumor is that the Voyager of the Seas will be back in Galveston for the 2011-2012 season, but no Freedom class ship.

This thread reminds me...I wonder what is happening with the new Houston Bayport terminal? Still vacant, I suppose.

Ya, still empty at Bayport. "If you build a $80 mil terminal. . . .they will come." That is what Houston told the people when they taxed them. We went out of HBT in Sept 08 on Carnival Conquest after IKE. Don't think it has been used since. To far in land.

We were on Voyager in March/April 2008 and enjoyed the ship and Galveston. Lots to see and do in the area. And yes, the Texans we met were freindly and enjoyable to be around. The only downside I can recall was the cost of ground transportation options from Hobby to Galveston, and the length of time it took to self-disembark (about 1 1/2 hours from getting in line on the ship through customs). We did not have any fog issues the two weekends we were in Galveston, but apparently can be a problem during winter and early spring.

Mike, we were on Voyager 01/10/10 and no fog. Noticed you said it took 1 1/2 hours to self -disembark. . .same with us. Longest we have ever encountered. Come down the ramp. . .get in a line to get a porter. That took one hour. We got off ship about 10:30am and it still took that long.

I am thinking about surprising my wife with a cruise over Thanksgiving 2011 to celebrate our 15th anniversary. She saw me looking at an RCI brochure today, and she mentioned that she wants to go elsewhere on our next cruise besides Baja (our two most recent cruises). We both are interested in the Western Caribbean.

I am thinking about surprising my wife with a cruise over Thanksgiving 2011 to celebrate our 15th anniversary. She saw me looking at an RCI brochure today, and she mentioned that she wants to go elsewhere on our next cruise besides Baja (our two most recent cruises). We both are interested in the Western Caribbean.

If you decide on RCL Voyager Of The Seas you will not be disappointed if this is in the date range you are considering.

Going out of Galveston is a very convent.

Archived