Celebrity Summit

nubble88

kitkat9438, as many have already said..thanks very much for your insight!

Just curious, you mention...

"There's also a sit down casual dining area with a suggested tip of $2, with waiters that are in training."

In regards to the $2 tip - would this be like leaving a tip for room service?

I think I'm a little confused with the pre-paid gratuities that they have now.

Do you mind give us the run-down? (I've read other posts but still don't get the whole thing:confused:...used to the 'envelope at the end' type of gratuity...)

kitkat9438, as many have already said..thanks very much for your insight!

Just curious, you mention...

"There's also a sit down casual dining area with a suggested tip of $2, with waiters that are in training."

In regards to the $2 tip - would this be like leaving a tip for room service?

I think I'm a little confused with the pre-paid gratuities that they have now.

Do you mind give us the run-down? (I've read other posts but still don't get the whole thing:confused:...used to the 'envelope at the end' type of gratuity...)

This is a separate restaurant area. It's quite nice with it's own kitchen and menu and nightly specials not on the menu. The waitstaff is in training so they don't participate in the pre paid gratuities. You can put the tip on your card or leave $2. each. On the Infinity, on a longer cruise, we enjoyed our table for two looking out the window. It was one of our best dining experiences. We did not go to the specialty restaurant. One formal night we just didn't feel like dressing up so we thoroughly enjoyed this venue. We tipped more than $2. each because the service was superb.

Tips are prepaid if you choose or if you have select dining. They are added to your account each day. A couple of days before the end of the cruise those who participate in your tips are notified that you used pre paid tips. No envelopes are necessary unless you want to leave extra or write a little note.

We usually tip the room service person a dollar or 2 or 3 depending on our order. Don't know if it's necessary but we do it. We take $50. in ones so we have tips and also can shop from vendors on shore in the Caribbean. They give change in the local currency.

Hope this helps!

Just a superior level of thoughtfulness in my opinion.

2) Cold towels, water, and fruit punch on returning to your ship after being in port. Very classy.

Really? That's awesome! We go on our first Summit cruise in 2 weeks.

Thanks Dianne,

That cleared any questions I had with that too. BUt one more question, do you have to call ahead like the specialty restaurants, or can you just walk in? I am so used to Royal Caribbean's Windjammer Cafe in the evening because my husband prefers to not go to the MDR every evening. I just want to make sure we have some place to eat in the evening besides burgers and pizza. I wish to avoid that all together if I possibly can.

We will probably go to this kind of dining because we certainly don't mind tipping...especially these people who are just learning. I just don't want to starve every evening!

Thanks,

Kathy

Thanks Dianne,

That cleared any questions I had with that too. BUt one more question, do you have to call ahead like the specialty restaurants, or can you just walk in? I am so used to Royal Caribbean's Windjammer Cafe in the evening because my husband prefers to not go to the MDR every evening. I just want to make sure we have some place to eat in the evening besides burgers and pizza. I wish to avoid that all together if I possibly can.

We will probably go to this kind of dining because we certainly don't mind tipping...especially these people who are just learning. I just don't want to starve every evening!

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi Kathy:)....they take walk-ups if space is available but to be sure,

you can call and make a reservation. You can call the same day

as the evening you want to eat there.

Thanks Dianne,

Thanks,

Kathy

We enjoyed that . I also saw a little more on the buffet in the evening than was advertised on the Infinity in Oct. There seemed to be a bit of an offering around 6 pm. Check it out. One night there was chicken, another ribs and another Indian food. It doesn't hurt to walk up to the buffet and check both sides to see what is available.

We made reservations for our the dining area in the buffet the same day because we knew we were not going to formal night. We gave them a general time rather than specific like one would give in the specialty restaurant.

The main dining room is not as dressy on smart casual nights as one might think. People look nice and follow the guidelines but very few wear elegant smart casual. For men a golf shirt and a pair of dockers is fine.

nubble88

Maam,

There is as well another wonderful way..

I think it does depend upon your cabin type..but ordering off the MDR for/from your cabin is allowed.

Your cabin attendant(s) will provide , once asked, you a menu to order from and once ordered it will be brought between the seating(s) in the MDR times.

Have you joined your Roll call too?

;)

Thank you once again for the additional dining information Dianne.

Four weeks tomorrow and counting! We cannot wait to set sail once again.

Kathy

Hi AAAAmerican,

If that holds true, then yes, we may do that for an evening or two. I found that on Royal Caribbean, once in a great while we would do dinner by room service and our selection was not at all the same as what was being served in the MDR. If cabin has anything to do with it, we did it while in a balcony status.

On our next cruise on Celebrity, we do have a veranda, so, hopefully if we choose to dine this way, we will have the same selection as the MDR.

Thanks again.

Kathy

Hi AAAAmerican,

If that holds true, then yes, we may do that for an evening or two. I found that on Royal Caribbean, once in a great while we would do dinner by room service and our selection was not at all the same as what was being served in the MDR. If cabin has anything to do with it, we did it while in a balcony status.

On our next cruise on Celebrity, we do have a veranda, so, hopefully if we choose to dine this way, we will have the same selection as the MDR.

Thanks again.

Kathy

Kathy, Ask your room steward to get you the MDR menu. I believe we gave the order to him and our MDR dinner was delivered to our room. I'm not sure you can just call room service to use the MDR menu.

Thank you Dianne, I will keep that in mind.

I am very much looking forward to this cruise. I felt a little guilty about not doing a cruise with Royal Caribbean, but from what my husband says, and the people here on Cruise Critic, I think this is going to be a vacation to remember for a very long time.

Kathy

nubble88,

Your welcome Maam.

What is your date of embarking?;)

dzcruisers was correct. Sorry i usually say cabin attendants not stewards. Old meaning are retained and yet some are gained.. ;)

What you may also want to do is make a list of what you want as well need in your cabin. when you first meet the cabin staff.. your able to show them at the start those of yours listed..

It does save a lot of time as well explanations.

On the Evening in cabin dining it usually is your cabin staff which delivers it.

Your selection from the MDR Menu will be the same if it is in stock.

We have had in the MDR many things listed but S O L .. ( Sorry Outof Luck.. as the items were not available and/or depleted from inventories. So yes sometimes have Item 1 2 3 as you may have to choose again..

Bring a Legal pad as it helps you to make lists and request sheets, notes... too..etc..

Hi AAAAmerican,

Thanks again.

Kathy

We usually eat in the dining room, it has only been the past couple of cruises that we have been on that my husband has preferred to not eat in the dining room. I don't usually enjoy eating dinner in my cabin because I love to be out, enjoying everything that is available to us, but, one or maybe two nights I will not mind doing.

Archived