Group Rate vs Early Saver

mistory

You will need to check with the TA that you booked with. It may cost you more in fees than the price drop would be. Read the small print in your contract with them.

OK thanks everyone!!! We got a good rate but I was sooo hoping for a onboard credit. The prices for my cruise have dropped for the 1st two people but we have 4 in our room. The kids rate went up.

Groups can't get the Early Saver rate, so that would be a "no" after final payment, for sure. Not sure about before final payment, you'd probably have to have your TA look into it, depending on what their deal with Carnival was.

I don't believe that is what the poster was asking. When you are a group, there is a "group rate" which I guess is different from other rates. I think what she was asking was, does her group rates also get price drops on occasion?

I was wondering the same thing as I am on a group rate and I just went in and checked out my cruise which is on 4/24 and the senior rate for our cabin,if we were to book today would be $182 less than the group rate we were charged.

OK thanks everyone!!! We got a good rate but I was sooo hoping for a onboard credit. The prices for my cruise have dropped for the 1st two people but we have 4 in our room. The kids rate went up.

You have to go by the entire booking $$$, not pick and choose, 2 went down so you only want them to count those.

If your booking $$$ went down, contact your TA, they often can do price drops. Iv gotten them once before.

I don't believe that is what the poster was asking. When you are a group, there is a "group rate" which I guess is different from other rates. I think what she was asking was, does her group rates also get price drops on occasion?

I was wondering the same thing as I am on a group rate and I just went in and checked out my cruise which is on 4/24 and the senior rate for our cabin,if we were to book today would be $182 less than the group rate we were charged.

Group Rates are an entirely different animal and as such are treated differently.

You can't even look at what "normal" rates are on line and/or compare to specific discounts available.

Group rates qualify for specific amenities that these other "normal" rates don't qualify for such as possible private party, free group photos, berth rebates, OBC, and other amenities. All depending on what your TA or Group Leader negotiated for your "Group".

You MUST compare Apples to Apples.

We had a group last year and the price went down before final payment and we did receive the price drop!:)

Thats why I said, contact your TA, might or might not. Sometimes it affects the perks, so only the TA can answer this question.

Thats why I said, contact your TA, might or might not. Sometimes it affects the perks, so only the TA can answer this question.

Well, I did contact my TA today and did get a resolution. Turns out that the new Resident rate was lower than our group rate. They offered to upgrade us from a 4B to a 6B for $50 total. We did do it as I am really not crazy about an inside. We did book 4 rooms but only changed ours to the oceanview. Our adults kids will have to suffer with the insides!!

Groups can't get the Early Saver rate, so that would be a "no" after final payment, for sure. Not sure about before final payment, you'd probably have to have your TA look into it, depending on what their deal with Carnival was.

Oh yes they can get ES. I have a group booked at the fare right now. Please know the facts before you post.

Oh yes they can get ES. I have a group booked at the fare right now. Please know the facts before you post.

That is true; I was with a group and did ES for my cabin (I was the only one in the group who did it; most of the group went for a guarantee cabin, which did work out well for them as they got upgraded from the 4th floor to the 7th floor). I'm also doing it again for next year (just booked my ES cabin yesterday - a $300 or so difference from the regular pick-your-cabin price, so it is already worth it without price drops, but it'll be great if there are some price drops, too).

Groups do have extra amenity fees to pay, which is why group prices are more than what you see on the Carnival Web site. At least in some cases, you can opt not to pay those and get none of the amenities the group will be getting (IMO, the amenities aren't worth the price - around $200 or so for a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries, a bottle of hard cider, and $25 OBC?!).

Which makes me wonder why CC, as large as the groups are, cant book you at ES rates for their cruises. Why are rates higher for CC cruises lately? .. the only perk on one cruise was the OBC and I would have given that up. You cant always book at the ES rate. .. rates are marked up. ... but on the other hand if you get no perks, then there is no advantage to booking with a group?

Which makes me wonder why CC, as large as the groups are, cant book you at ES rates for their cruises. Why are rates higher for CC cruises lately? .. the only perk on one cruise was the OBC and I would have given that up. You cant always book at the ES rate. .. rates are marked up. ... but on the other hand if you get no perks, then there is no advantage to booking with a group?

Actually you can book the ES rate with the group but you do lose all of the extras that go along with it. In my case I opted to book directly with my PVP using the early saver rate instead of booking the ES rate with the group TA. I am sooooo not a fan of getting the same price by booking with the designated group TA and not having control of my own booking for the SAME price I can book with my PVP myself. The only advantage I could see by using the group TA for ES (since you lose all group perks) would be to have your bookings all linked. This can easily be accomplished between friends by having your PVP and the TA link your bookings together.

I have participated in a group booking in the past and received great perks but now with ES I really weigh my options completely before deciding as you said Fire wether or not it's really financially sound to pay more for the extras.

Actually you can book the ES rate with the group but you do lose all of the extras that go along with it. In my case I opted to book directly with my PVP using the early saver rate instead of booking the ES rate with the group TA. I am sooooo not a fan of getting the same price by booking with the designated group TA and not having control of my own booking for the SAME price I can book with my PVP myself. The only advantage I could see by using the group TA for ES (since you lose all group perks) would be to have your bookings all linked. This can easily be accomplished between friends by having your PVP and the TA link your bookings together.

I have participated in a group booking in the past and received great perks but now with ES I really weigh my options completely before deciding as you said Fire wether or not it's really financially sound to pay more for the extras.

This is another incorrect statement. There are two options when booking a group using ES pricing. One you can book the ES with the amenity points for a higher price and two you can book ES with no amenity points for a lower price.

This is another incorrect statement. There are two options when booking a group using ES pricing. One you can book the ES with the amenity points for a higher price and two you can book ES with no amenity points for a lower price.

So, in other words, if you choose to book and get the amenity points, the rate is higher, and technically NOT the same "Early Saver" rate as a group of individuals would get just by booking and linking their reservations. OR you can book as a "group" but get the same price as individuals booking and just link the ressie numbers?

All these price drops make me really mad. We booked a group rate too and our TA says he can't make any adjustments or upgrades - nor are we getting anything 'extra' that I know of for being part of this group. He said we were getting a better rate going w/ the group rate. BUT of course at that time I didn't know what I've learned now, from this site. :(

So, in other words, if you choose to book and get the amenity points, the rate is higher, and technically NOT the same "Early Saver" rate as a group of individuals would get just by booking and linking their reservations. OR you can book as a "group" but get the same price as individuals booking and just link the ressie numbers?

Individuals booking and linking their bookings together is not a group. A group is booked as such through the group department with a minimum of 8 cabins.

We are in the process of arranging a "group" for our wedding cruise. I called and got the "group" rates with and without the amenity points added and compared them to the ES rates. Guess what? The ES rates were so much better that we have decided to just take some money and make gift baskets for each of the cabins in our "group" and save all of my guests ALOT of money. We figured that everyone was spending alot of money to come to our wedding/cruise that the least we could do was get them the cheapest rate and then spend some of our money as a thank you for each of our guests. We know we will prepay for a copy of a group photo for each of our guests but we were also thinking of doing some certificates for drinks in with a goodie basket that we will deliver to each of their cabins on embarkation day. We will just provide each guest with our booking number so they can link their dining to ours so that we will all be together...well actually at 2 or 3 tables nearby. I think each person needs to do a little research and find the best deal. While we will not get the free berth, we are fine with that. We are doing the short 4 day cruise for the wedding and the savings to each of our guests would be WAY more than that.

MalibuBarbie

Individuals booking and linking their bookings together is not a group. A group is booked as such through the group department with a minimum of 8 cabins.

I realize that. What I'm saying is, what is the advantage of booking as a group under "groups ES", if you don't get the amenity points and are paying more than an individual booking ES?

From all the research I have done, I couldn't find one reason to book thru Groups using their ES rate. It is exactly the same thing as an individual booking ES rate but at a higher rate! :eek:. My main concern was finding the cheapest rate for my guests and should there be any price drops, they can get them until 2 days prior to leaving.

MalibuBarbie

All these price drops make me really mad. We booked a group rate too and our TA says he can't make any adjustments or upgrades - nor are we getting anything 'extra' that I know of for being part of this group. He said we were getting a better rate going w/ the group rate. BUT of course at that time I didn't know what I've learned now, from this site. :(

If its any consolation ... that's how I got started. A group on the new Caribbean Princess, at a mere $1300 for our obstructed cabin on Lido (that's what I paid per person)... did get a rate drop of some kind, but I realized I could have booked two people for what the group rate was and that I paid for our so called group leaders to cruise for a lot less.

Been leery of groups ever since. Sometimes you just have to learn by doing and making mistakes.

Why do the prices suck lately? Probably kickbacks and who knows perhaps fatman gets a cut as well.

A group rate is not published - how would you know if other groups got a better deal for the same cabin type?

If you are comparing the published non-group rates with your group rate, I don't think that is apples to apples.

Group rates are usually less than individual rates. If you noticed individual rates for less than the group rate, you could ask for a reduction from the TA. I have had success with getting reductions on non-ES rates, but have never asked with a group rate. The group leader and the TA would need to handle that.

My response was to Fire's comments about CC group cruises and the ES program and was correct as to what has been offered for CC group cruises by the TA this website uses for those cruises. The information I provided was in reference to that and has nothing to do with what other groups outside of CC may or may not be entitled to.

Have you been able to book with a CC group and get the ES rate and get the perks? Perhaps things have changed which would be good to know.

Archived