Camera advise??

We are leaving for our cruise 2 weeks from today and I would like to check into getting a new camera before then. I currently have a Kodak EasyShare 2710 and there is nothing wrong with it. But it is a bit bulky to carry all the time and I would like to have something a bit more slimlined. I mostly take pictures of my family - grandkids and vacations. I also have a Flip that I just love.

I am looking for somthing that has a good sized LCD screen, easy to operate, but takes a good picture. And I was hoping to stay under $200. I see some really good photos on CC and thought there might be some who have some expertise and could give me some good recommendations.

Thanks

CruiseBell in Georgia

We are leaving for our cruise 2 weeks from today and I would like to check into getting a new camera before then. I currently have a Kodak EasyShare 2710 and there is nothing wrong with it. But it is a bit bulky to carry all the time and I would like to have something a bit more slimlined. I mostly take pictures of my family - grandkids and vacations. I also have a Flip that I just love.

I am looking for somthing that has a good sized LCD screen, easy to operate, but takes a good picture. And I was hoping to stay under $200. I see some really good photos on CC and thought there might be some who have some expertise and could give me some good recommendations.

Thanks

CruiseBell in Georgia

I've had very good luck with the Canon PowerShot series. I have an SD 780 IS that's a great pocket camera. It retails around $229. One thing that's nice about it is the battery charger plugs directly into the wall, so there's no cord to carry.

The similar priced Nikons or Fujis are probably fine, but my experience has been with Canon.

There are many really fine slim pocket sized point and shoot cameras out there. My advice is to go to a store that carries multiple brands and just pick them up and hold them and see which feels best in your hand. The most important advice I have for you though is do not get fooled by digital zoom! The cameras will often be advertised with say 10X zoom but when you look closer it is 3X optical zoom and 7X digital. Digital zoom is useless as it makes your pics very grainy and nasty looking. Look for a camera with a high optical zoom. I have always used Nikon or Kodak for my point and shoots and they are fine. Canon, Fuji, Panasonic etc all make great ones as well. Enjoy your cruise and hope you get a lot of great pics! Take care,,,, Jim

I prefer the Canon Powershot series cameras to anything else right now. I have a Powershot SD-630 from a few years ago... 2007-ish? Still a great camera.

I've had some bad experiences with the Olympus ultra-compact cameras.

My wife and sister have Olympus ultra-compact cameras... and the pictures don't come out that great... I don't know what it is... usually under-exposed and out of focus... on an automatic camera. It's crazy.

Most new models of ultra-compact cameras will have an image stabilizer (which helps for moving and low light photos: technically saves you an F-stop or two) and a lot of them now have face recognition software which helps the thing focus on a subject (like a person)... you know how sometimes you take a picture of someone, and they come out blurry, but the tree behind them looks GREAT!

My mom has a Sony compact camera... it's good, no complaints... but I'm a Canon fan.

I have a DSLR, but that one's a Nikon (because I can use all my old Nikon lenses), commercially, I've heard a lot of professional photographers use Canon DSLRs. They use Nikon DSLRs on most cruise ships.

We bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1G because it's waterproof up to 9.5 ft and shockproof. It's nice not to worry about ruining your camera if you drop it or get it wet. It takes video too (I believe it's hi def video). We paid around $220 for it and we're very happy with ti.

If you want to talk about how companies are selling these things?

Megapixels doesn't mean anything to me.

There are new cameras that will make photos using 14+ megapixels... but I'm not making poster-sized prints... so 14 megapixels is overkill...

People see 14+ megapixels! Must mean the shots are so CLEAR!

No... that's not the case.

You can have 14 megapixels of a blurry photo because there was a smudge on the lens... it's still a blurry picture.

What sells me is the lens. 14 megapixels on a lens from one of those old camera toys you got out of the Cracker Jack box is still going to net you photos that look like it's from the Cracker Jack box... but 14 megapixels from one of the lenses they have on the Hubble Telescope? That would be an amazing shot (and you could probably find amazing detail in the tiniest little spec)!

So, the lens is important, megapixels is not that important (stay above 6, and you'll have great cropped 8x10s). Everything else is bells and whistles. Some bells and whistles are cool.. like the face recognition, or the image stabilizer, or even the pre-programmed photo settings (Portrait, Snow, Indoor, Beach, etc)... but some don't really excite me (touch screen)

Get an extra battery

Comparatively, you can't tell the differences between anything.

Angry Capuchin over here was taken in the rain with the Canon SD630 point and shoot... actually a very lucky shot with this amount of detail

11434_1246173763621_1507726387_30674482_1189039_n.jpg

The hummingbird shot I have here was with the Nikon DSLR I have... I have the 18-200 multi-zoom lens on it with the image stabilizer. The shot was from the tour van, and it was a far from the bird... but the closest I got to a hummingbird without getting out of the van.

11434_1246165123405_1507726387_30674358_620648_n.jpg

I originally bought a Kodak camera with a large viewing screen to take pictures at my grandaughter's beach wedding. Could not see a thing in the viewer because of the glare. Needless to say, I did not get any decent shots. Was able to return camera and bought a Canon SD1100. This camera is the only one I could find in my price range (less then$200) that had a good size video viewer and the old fashion optical viewew. If there is too much glare outside just use other viewer. Takes excellent pics.

I originally bought a Kodak camera with a large viewing screen to take pictures at my grandaughter's beach wedding. Could not see a thing in the viewer because of the glare. Needless to say, I did not get any decent shots. Was able to return camera and bought a Canon SD1100. This camera is the only one I could find in my price range (less then$200) that had a good size video viewer and the old fashion optical viewew. If there is too much glare outside just use other viewer. Takes excellent pics.

Just purchased a Canon Powershot 1100 as they were discontinuing it for the 1200 and 1300. They change so quickly. I have had alot of success with Canon but there are many nice cameras at an inexpensive price. I still have my 2 megapixel A40 and it still works fine--I have 8 X 10's from that camera that are fine.

I also choose Canon for the optical viewfinder when there is a glare. Recently saw the camera for $119 at Walmart.

There's a lot of good recommendations here. Most cameras from well-known brands are all pretty good nowadays. Best bet is to go to the store and try some of them out. Find one that feels well-built, the layout makes sense to you, you can take decent pictures with it in the store. See if it responds quickly when you press the shutter button. Lastly, try to get at least one of these two features on it, better both:

- Optical image stabilization -- kind of like "steady shot" on a video camera, it moves a small part in the lens to counteract your hand movement while taking the picture. The result is less blur. Without a flash you can take pictures in lower light than which would be usable otherwise. With a flash you'll reduce the amount of "trails" that bright things in the background make. Canon cameras note this feature with a model number ending in "IS" -- other brands, make sure it specifically says.

- Waterproof -- Could be especially important on a cruise. I normally shoot with a Nikon D300 but bought an Olympus waterproof / shockproof camera just for fun stuff. They really are completely waterproof -- you can take photos underwater without any type of case on it. It looks like a normal camera otherwise.

There's a lot of good recommendations here. Most cameras from well-known brands are all pretty good nowadays. Best bet is to go to the store and try some of them out. Find one that feels well-built, the layout makes sense to you, you can take decent pictures with it in the store. See if it responds quickly when you press the shutter button. Lastly, try to get at least one of these two features on it, better both:

- Optical image stabilization -- kind of like "steady shot" on a video camera, it moves a small part in the lens to counteract your hand movement while taking the picture. The result is less blur. Without a flash you can take pictures in lower light than which would be usable otherwise. With a flash you'll reduce the amount of "trails" that bright things in the background make. Canon cameras note this feature with a model number ending in "IS" -- other brands, make sure it specifically says.

- Waterproof -- Could be especially important on a cruise. I normally shoot with a Nikon D300 but bought an Olympus waterproof / shockproof camera just for fun stuff. They really are completely waterproof -- you can take photos underwater without any type of case on it. It looks like a normal camera otherwise.

I also have a D300 but for times where you don't want a big camera I highly recommend the Cannon Powershot line however I have never bought one less than $200, usually stick to the higher end. As for waterproof the Cannon D10 which I just bought seems to work pretty well. I have had the Pentex one or should I say ones before and I believe the Cannon is superior. A lot of friends love the P&S Panasonics as well so there are many good ones out there.

I also have a D300 but for times where you don't want a big camera I highly recommend the Cannon Powershot line however I have never bought one less than $200, usually stick to the higher end. As for waterproof the Cannon D10 which I just bought seems to work pretty well. I have had the Pentex one or should I say ones before and I believe the Cannon is superior. A lot of friends love the P&S Panasonics as well so there are many good ones out there.

I agree - the Canon P&S line has always been excellent, starting back when the first "ELPH" came out it was one of the smallest on the market at the time, had a metal body, and significantly lower shutter lag than other similar cameras of the time. My DG is using an SD900IS (I think? Give or take a model...) I bought her.

I would expect the D10 to perform great but can't get over how much it looks like a pressurized pop-tart bag with a lens. I like my boxy cameras...

I have a Canon Rebel SLR

Canon 870si

Olympus Stylus Tough.

I love all of my cameras equally. I really like the Olympus for cruises because it is waterproof. I got some great pics with it on our last cruise.

If you like to overanalyze like I do, then check out this site:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Great (and extremely detailed) reviews of cameras in all categories. Another site that I've used and like is:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Finally, CNET typically does good reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/

Thanks

CruiseBell in Georgia

I would do a Google search for camera reviews - you will probably get a lot better info.

If you are planning to get a new camera, you should get it ASAP.

Buying any new piece of equipment right before the cruise is a bad idea as you do not have the time to play with it and get comfortable with it except on the cruise. Also, in general, electronic equipment dies shortly after you buy it or not at all. What happens if the death occurs while you are on your cruise?

DON

OP was looking for a camera around 200-220. When I priced ithe D10 in Dec-Jan 09 D10 was 299-329 plus you would pay 100 extra for the cool lanyards to attach to a life vest.

If you tell me where I could get this for under $275 I will be your best friend forever. In the meanwhile I will just use the disposable Fuji

waterproof cameras ($15.99) which give 27 shots, very good results and you can get developed onto a digital photo CD. Plus if you lose them or victim of a pick-pocket you're only out 16 bucks.

Unless of course you plan going on multiple cruises every year, in which case you can probably afford to buy any camera you want.

I did a little shopping today and looked online at comparisons, way too much to consider - I will keep shopping, but may take my Kodak (which I am familar with)

Cameras that I have looked at are Nikon Coolpix S570; Nikon Coolpix S230; or Canon PS SD780-IS.

Will keep shopping, my birthday is this week and my hubby would like for me to make up my mind. (not easy!!)

OP was looking for a camera around 200-220. When I priced ithe D10 in Dec-Jan 09 D10 was 299-329 plus you would pay 100 extra for the cool lanyards to attach to a life vest.

If you tell me where I could get this for under $275 I will be your best friend forever. In the meanwhile I will just use the disposable Fuji

waterproof cameras ($15.99) which give 27 shots, very good results and you can get developed onto a digital photo CD. Plus if you lose them or victim of a pick-pocket you're only out 16 bucks.

Unless of course you plan going on multiple cruises every year, in which case you can probably afford to buy any camera you want.

I can do that but it will involve a cruise for you. I got mine in St. Thomas for less then that and I bet you St. Maarten is even less. However, right now you can get it here in the US from Buydig dot com for $275 so best of luck to you. You may want to buy it here before a trip so you know how to use it but it works very similar to your Elph Cannons.

Oh one important thing, if you do buy one or any water camera make sure you soak it in Fresh water after any salt water use.

I have a Canon Rebel SLR

Canon 870si

Olympus Stylus Tough.

I love all of my cameras equally. I really like the Olympus for cruises because it is waterproof. I got some great pics with it on our last cruise.

Hi Angela! ( I just had to throw this in :o)

Gina

check out the following: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 or DMC ZR1 both have over 10 MP and 8X optical zoom. (more optical zoom the better...GET ONE WITH AT LEAST 5x). These are compact cameras but are a little bigger than pocket size. They also produce very good videos (but not HD). Also includes image stabilization. Easy to use.

For a great pocket size camera :

Nikon coopix s570.....5X optical zoom, 12MP, image stabilization, movies, easy to use, very compact, 2.7 inch (diagonal) monitor.

Fuji Finepix F200EXR 12MP, 5 X optical zoom, 3 inch monitor

For the professional reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-coolpix-s570-red/4505-6501_7-33765816.html?tag=also

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/fujifilm-finepix-f200exr/4505-6500_7-33560251.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zr1/4505-6501_7-33736875.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Again, my personal favorite, having owned one for a couple of years, is the Panasonic. Its very easy to use, great zoom, and does good movies. I've had the Nikon since December and like its compactness. Whatever you get , get a couple of (at least) 4GB cards for them and backup batteries. I would stay away from Canons and Sonys...you can google all the "issues" they have had .....and I can tell you from personal experience.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

Archived