Ultimate retirement trip

romnan

We are close to the situation that you describe and have considered the same issue.

Our conclusion: There is no "ultimate" trip. There are several trips.

Northern Europe (again)

Black Sea

Eastern Med (again)

Western Med

Australia/New Zealand

Tahiti

Hawaii

Alaska (again)

Cape Horn/Antarctica

Final issue: Will money or health give out first? Stay tuned.... :)

You may be right with your train of thought. In reviewing some of the places you have been,These are places that I would like to be. Hopefully neither the money nor health will give out as I experience living my life the way I want,not the way I am currently forced to. Thank You for your insight

My retirement cruise I am planning in two years is boring compare to what I have been reading here. My idea of "my ultimate" cruise is leaving Florida, going through the Panama Canal to San Diego and then staying on the ship and head back to Florida. I guess when you are like us and have two cockatiels to worry about a round-the-world trip is out of the question. And no way, no how will we give up our babies just so we can cruise. Giving them up for a month so we can do a Panama Canal cruise will be bad enough.

Anyway Romnan I think that a transatlantic cruise to the Europe might be just what you are looking for. And since it sounds like you are finanical secured maybe you can take a cruise, get a flat in Italy for a month and then take another cruise back home.

I like some of your ideas and we too have dogs that we consider"our babies" so a world cruise no matter how appealing would be a stretch for us.I do like the Canal/San Diego trip idea how about renting a convertable after getting off the ship in California a drive up the coast???

My retirement cruise I am planning in two years is boring compare to what I have been reading here. My idea of "my ultimate" cruise is leaving Florida, going through the Panama Canal to San Diego and then staying on the ship and head back to Florida. I guess when you are like us and have two cockatiels to worry about a round-the-world trip is out of the question. And no way, no how will we give up our babies just so we can cruise. Giving them up for a month so we can do a Panama Canal cruise will be bad enough.

Anyway Romnan I think that a transatlantic cruise to the Europe might be just what you are looking for. And since it sounds like you are finanical secured maybe you can take a cruise, get a flat in Italy for a month and then take another cruise back home.

They are just birds. I always find it amazing the way some people are owned by their pets.

DON

They are just birds. I always find it amazing the way some people are owned by their pets.

DON

I don't really think anyone is "owned" by their pets.We are emotionally attached to ours,they give us joy and comfort unlike some human counterparts.We kennel our dogs when it is time to cruise and the expense is factored in when we plan a cruise.

I don't really think anyone is "owned" by their pets.We are emotionally attached to ours,they give us joy and comfort unlike some human counterparts.We kennel our dogs when it is time to cruise and the expense is factored in when we plan a cruise.

We have a cockatiel and 2 Persian cats. We are emotionally attached, and I love my cats more than most people love their kids (LOL). When we cruise we leave the bird with my parents, and I have a wonderful pet-sitter for the cats, who was actually their first owner. She takes care of them with the same love I do. While I do miss my cats, it will not keep me from cruising.

I would go for a Trans-Atlantic immediately followed by a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest.

O.K., I'll bite. How can one do a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest? Isn't Budapest on the Danube, which empties into the Black Sea, far from Amsterdam on the North Sea?

Archived