Steak lovers: what do you think of Chops?

If they're not advertising that it is USDA Prime, I would gather it is not. Any place that serves the best, proudly advertises and shouts about it.

The answers I have gotten about grades amazes me ("Oh, it's Angus." "Oh, it's CERTIFIED Angus". HUH????)

I agree. They should be advertising it. If they weren't truthful with me, and it's not Prime, I'd be surprised. Most of the filets I've had in Chops could be cut with a fork. Add the red wine reduction sauce....hmmmmm....my mouth is watering!

I agree. They should be advertising it. If they weren't truthful with me, and it's not Prime, I'd be surprised. Most of the filets I've had in Chops could be cut with a fork. Add the red wine reduction sauce....hmmmmm....my mouth is watering!

I may have to rethink my choice of Hamburger Helper this evening. :)

I was on the Independence over spring break and the MDR was so disappointing I ate in Chops 4 of the 6 nights. I thought the petite filet was very good. They cooked it blue which was great and the service IMO only was very very good. One of the nights the Captain came in with a full table and I thought our service would suffer but because there are only maybe 20 tables or so I don't think anyone noticed a difference in service. I think it is well worth the $25 per person. But that's just my opinion.

So you weren't in the dining room 4 of the 6 nights and you think you have an informed opinion?

I find Chops to be absolutely worth it. However, we are wanting to save time (meals in Chops are typically 2+ hours) and money so we'll be getting the Chops filet in the dining room once or twice on our next cruise. It's $14.95 instead of $25.

. . . I only wish they would add some more desserts...a nice warm apple pie would be great, but thats a minor complaint. . . .

Actually, that was major to me. I don't care for chocolate or cheesecake which meant I had no dessert the night we ate at Chops -- they only had two choices that night. Because our Chops reservation was earlier than our regular dinner sitting, we considered going back to the MDR for dessert. Enjoyed Portofino much more -- even thought the steak was better there.

If they're not advertising that it is USDA Prime, I would gather it is not. Any place that serves the best, proudly advertises and shouts about it.

The answers I have gotten about grades amazes me ("Oh, it's Angus." "Oh, it's CERTIFIED Angus". HUH????)

Just FYI Certified Angus Beef, along with several other requirements, does have a grade. It must be at least upper 2/3 choice. It is possible that they do not advertise it as CAB is a marketing company companies have to pay a premium for the beef as well licensing for the logo. Not saying it is the case but it is possible

OK, I'm slightly confused here. I can understand that the steak in the MDR

is not of the same quality as the specialty restaurants.

But various posters state that the steak in Portofino is better than Chops and vice versa.

This would assume that the two specialty restaurants use different supplies, quality and cuts of meats.

Has anyone ever found proof that this is the case or is this just another example of different people applying their subjective judgements?

OK, I'm slightly confused here. I can understand that the steak in the MDR

is not of the same quality as the specialty restaurants.

But various posters state that the steak in Portofino is better than Chops and vice versa.

This would assume that the two specialty restaurants use different supplies, quality and cuts of meats.

Has anyone ever found proof that this is the case or is this just another example of different people applying their subjective judgements?

I think it's more realistic to assume this is due to the people preparing it. A better experience in Portofino vice Chops could have everything to do with the Chef. A good cut of meat still requires proper preparation.

Actually, that was major to me. I don't care for chocolate or cheesecake which meant I had no dessert the night we ate at Chops -- they only had two choices that night. Because our Chops reservation was earlier than our regular dinner sitting, we considered going back to the MDR for dessert. Enjoyed Portofino much more -- even thought the steak was better there.

They can bring you any dessert they have and can make with what they have on hand.

My dinner companion asked for vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

and the cheescake was too rich for me so I ordered and got a fruit plate

with absolutely no problem. Easily they could bring you strawberries with

cream etc.

So the worst they can say is no.

I think it's more realistic to assume this is due to the people preparing it. A better experience in Portofino vice Chops could have everything to do with the Chef. A good cut of meat still requires proper preparation.

I can make a steak. You can make a steak. Are you telling me a specialty quality chef cannot properly make a steak?

Chops and Portofino both have wonderful steaks. We usually do one each week, and are excited to be doing both on our B2B. I was one who thought it would not be worth the extra money, but on my Birthday DH splurged and we are now hooked. It is definitely worth the extra money, and the steaks are very very good.

I can make a steak. You can make a steak. Are you telling me a specialty quality chef cannot properly make a steak?

Well, you never know. There are many factors. How clean is the grill? What's the grill temp? How fresh are the toppings and sauces? How fresh is the meat? What's the final temp of the meat?

All I'm saying is if someone thought their steak in Portofino was better than their steak in Chops (assuming it's the same cut), it likely had to do with preparation. I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption.

We ate there on our last cruise on IOTS.

I thought the steak was one of the best I have eaten outside of Buenos Aires. A tableful of side dishes. Nice location and great service. Well worth $25.

Having eaten there once we booked it again for later in the week. I have also booked it for the next cruise in 2 weeks time.

Great steak, well worth the extra money and a calmer environment.:)

We also have enjoyed Chops (on Radiance and Serenade) and it was excellent- the relaxing ambiance, outstanding service and wonderful dinner. Our steaks were some of the best we've had, and with sides and dessert...you can't go wrong for a special evening.

And the price of tickets are similar or less now than we were paying 1-2 years ago. I am booked on 8 night Feb 2011 LOS for $300 less per person than 7 night Feb 2009 FOS. Same category/Same class ship for both cruises.

With the savings one could pay to eat at chops or protifino every night with the $300 savings and still be ahead.

Not the point.

Why should service suffer? Why should some of the meals be inedible?

If cruiselines are going to offer substandard meals and service in the MDR then make that part of their advertising.

Yes we paid more for cruise tickets years ago..cruising wasn't as popular back then...it is sad that people don't expect much anymore..maybe they don't know any different?

Trying to decide whether to book a reservation for Chops or not. I love a good steak, but with an endless supply of other (free!) food to try in the MDR & buffet, I'm not particularly inclined to drop $50 on dinner for two unless it's something special. Honestly, I can't imagine how a cruise ship could produce a really good steak while cranking out food at this speed and quantity. I guess I have it in my mind that this is probably more like a "Sizzler" steak that just tastes better to most people because of the unique environment and presentation.

So, any reviews from steak lovers? Is this as good, worse, or better than a middle-of-the road $25 steak at home?

It's not just a $25 steak, it's a $25 steak dinner, and I think it's completely worth the surcharge. Every meal is cooked to order, you have a very attentive waitstaff that isn't scrambling to service a bunch of other tables, and the overall ambiance is very nice.

I will say that the NY steak is disappointing to me - it's a thin cut, unlike the lucious thick steaks we get from our butcher at home, so anything cooked under medium is kind of grey on the outside. But the filet, veal chop and halibut on Mariner were terrific in January. There's another cut with the bone in that I'm forgetting the name of. It, too, was good, but not as good as the others.

What is the grade of their specialty steaks? Are they certified beef, CAB/Black Angus or anything like that?

When they used to bring by the cuts of meat (we've seen enough of them that we wave it off), they always described them as "prime."

Only two choices?? I like the passionberry duo for dessert - it's a very light and refreshing mousse.

I think the difference between the Portofino and Chops filets is that the Chops filet is seasoned, while the Portofino one is marinated, so it's even more tender than the average filet. They're both excellent IMHO.:)

What is the grade of their specialty steaks? Are they certified beef, CAB/Black Angus or anything like that?

RCL advertises, "Our own Angus" which is a meaningless statement. The ONLY steak grading that is official is the USDA grading.

And there the top grade is USDA PRIME.

After that comes USDA CHOICE and then USDA SELECT.

And the statement must be complete with USDA PRIME. Words like, "Our specially selected Prime beef," mean that it is NOT USDA PRIME quality. Could be Choice beef, which is quite good and you get that at good butcher shops. But a USDA PRIME steak cannot be bought raw for $20, $25.

So, any reviews from steak lovers? Is this as good, worse, or better than a middle-of-the road $25 steak at home?

LOVE IT! Excellent apps, salads, nicely displayed, the filet is delicious, I've also had the rib eye but was a bit disappointed (not fatty like a rib eye should be), nice desserts, great service. The dining room was extremely quiet for 8pm reservations, not really sure why. I gladly pay the extra for a quiet, full service dinner, once at each restaurant, as I don't do a lot of excursions anymore. So try it and remember, food is very subjective - I did not care for the rib eye but someone else may love it.

One other thing to think of - it may not just be the $25 fee - you may wish to tip on top of it, although it is noted that gratuties are included in the initial fee. So depending on your service, the cost may be more is all I'm saying...

RCL advertises, "Our own Angus" which is a meaningless statement. The ONLY steak grading that is official is the USDA grading.

And the statement must be complete with USDA PRIME. Words like, "Our specially selected Prime beef," mean that it is NOT USDA PRIME quality. Could be Choice beef, which is quite good and you get that at good butcher shops. But a USDA PRIME steak cannot be bought raw for $20, $25.

I have asked this question to more than one person in Chops, and have been told each time it is USDA Prime.

Chops is EXCELLENT! It is more than worth the $25 per person. In fact, that is cheaper than what other cruise lines charge and Chops is better. They even wheel out a cart and you pick the cut of meat you like.

At home, a meal of that quality would cost over $100 for two.

They can bring you any dessert they have and can make with what they have on hand.

My dinner companion asked for vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

and the cheescake was too rich for me so I ordered and got a fruit plate

with absolutely no problem. Easily they could bring you strawberries with

cream etc.

So the worst they can say is no.

I know, but after a fairly leisurely dinner, I just didn't care to take the time to ferret out what might be available from other menus and then wait while they went and got it. I was just disappointed with the menu selection [as I said, 2 items the night we were there].

thanks for the education:rolleyes:. Like I have said before, and the reason I asked, is if it is CAB(Certified Angus Beef) it must be at least upper 2/3 choice Same with Sterling Silver. Grading is based off two factors maturity and quality. Choice is made up of three different quality grades Slight Moderate Modest and Slight and each one of those has a grade of up to 100. See I can give lessons too

Here is a link to the USDA web site were they outline certification programs

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3025674

I also think the steak in Portofino is better than those served in Chops. I also do not like having my side dishes served family style. I do realize that some of the top restaurants in the country do that, but I like mine already on my plate.

I would eat in Portofino several times on a 7 day cruise, but my DH is a very small eater and he'd never want to do that. I did get him to go to Chops one night and Portofino another night on one 7 day cruise, but since I am not crazy about Chops, we only go to Portofino once. I feel it's definitely worth the money.

Archived