Cabin Categories, Please help!

jmunson

Could someone simply explain the categories assigned to cabins? I'm booked on Carnival if that makes a difference. When I see 6A or 8C, is the higher the number the better, etc? I did look on Carnival's website and saw their key. So I do understand that certain rooms have two beds or an overhead, etc. It just seems when people on the boards are talking about cabins they throw out a number and everyone seems to understand what they are talking about. Also, how can an inside cabin have a balcony? Sorry to be so slow on the subject? Just learning.

Thanks. Jeana

You are correct about the numbers: 6a is 'lower' quality than 8c. However, that is in the cruiseline's definition. Some people like being lower in the ship (such as 6a. The important thing is to figure out what you will enjoy.

Our rules of thumb for booking are usually:

* to find something mid-ship (less movement if you tend to get seasick)

* try to book on a deck with no inside cabins (less noise)

* try to book on a deck with cabins below and above (avoid noise from the pools, bars, etc.)

* look for tips on "secret special cabins" on ships, such as the sweet 16 on Celebrity Infinity that have larger decks for the same price

*Call 3 or 4 weeks before the cruise to see if we can get a cheap or free upgrade

No, an inside cabin cannot have a balcony. Could you clarify where you saw this?

All cruiselines have different codes for their ships. On Costa ships E1 is lower than B8... you just have to look at the deck plans to choose your favorite spot.

Hope this helps! :)

4s, are inside cabins

6s are oceanviews

8s are balconys

9s are fancy balconys

the OS etc, that used to be 11s, and 12s are suites.

the different ones are 1As can have port holes, can have window, can be bunks, can be twins, they are oddball cabins in places where a regular cabin doesnt fit, so they called them all 1As, and they can be a bargin, if you know what you are getting.

PTs used to be 5As, and are port holes and are equal in price to a 4A, cheapest regular inside cabin, and also a great bargain in my opinion.

Firefly is correct on 4's inside, 6's oceanviews, etc. On Carnival all 4's, 6's and 8's (per category) are same size cabins -- the letter designates where on the ship the cabin is located. The "A" will be the least desireable position (bottom front or back) the higher the deck and the more mid-ship you want the higher the price.

Archived