Breaking news in the UK Eclipse on the way to Spain

uktog

According to sky news overnight theEclipse is on the way to Spain to bring back 2000 stranded Brits

Congratulations Celebrity you will get a lot of positive pr from that

ann

Ps update on son delta have not even given them a cup of coffee but kindly got them a replacement flight on 27th then said go away til then nit funny as their insurance is also ignoring them

Great PR, but they have cancelled the inaugural pre-cruise departing on 22nd that I won in their competition....:rolleyes::( I have bought train tickets and everything....., not to mention the other CC couple who also won who have already arrived in Southampton for this cruise at significant personal expense so they were here in time for the 2nighter on Thurday.)

Oh well, Celebrity have said they will contact me today....

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they are going to Bilbao, but I won't lie in saying I am not disappointed.

So sorry you are losing your trip:o

Joey1986, I see this is your first post - Welcome to Cruise Critic, it's a fantastic website with lots of great, helpful people!!

I am flattered that your first post was about me and my cancellation:):)

Happy cruising!

I got a note from Celebrity who have said they will contact me today and that hopefully they will get me on the 2 night pre-inaugural cruise departing on Sat 24th instead. I hope they can, as I am taking my mum as a birthday treat and she is already packed, even though we were not due to leave until Thursday!:o

I have theatre tickets to the Jersey Boys in London as a birthday treat for her for Sat 24th April as a post cruise treat, but I will just have to try and see if the theatre will let me change those to another date.

TUESDAY ASH ALERT – New cruise ship to rescue stranded holidaymakers

The first leg of UK launch celebrations for new ship Celebrity Eclipse have been cancelled so the ship can help rescue holidaymakers stranded in the volcanic ash airspace shutdown

Celebrity Cruises is working with UK tour operators to collect more than 2,000 holidaymakers affected by the airport closures and subsequent flight cancellations.

The 2,852-passenger vessel is due to arrive in Southampton as scheduled this morning (Tuesday) and will depart this evening to Bilbao where it is set to arrive in the early hours of Thursday.

Stranded holidaymakers will embark the ship throughout Thursday morning and the ship will return to Southampton, arriving late on Friday evening.

The mercy mission will replace activities planned during a two-night launch celebration cruise from Southampton.

Eclipse will collect delayed holidaymakers – some by up to seven days – who were on package holidays with major UK tour operators.

The naming celebrations for the ship are planned to go ahead unchanged, and Celebrity Eclipse will be named by Hampshire yachtswoman and breast cancer survivor Emma Pontin late afternoon on Saturday.

Celebrity Cruises is working to switch guests who were scheduled to join a two-night launch celebration sailing on Thursday on the two-night naming celebration cruise on Saturday. Celebrity Cruises will contact all affected guests directly.

Well Done X!

Lbackwith, I'm sorry about your and everyone else who was booked on that sailing. I hope they compensate you in some way. If anyone has the ways and means to help is such a situation as this, then they are doing the right thing. Hopefully this volcano will go back to sleep soon and things will get back to normal!

I do hope you and your Mum get a lovely trip this week/weekend Good luck

Well, I am on the "request list" to join the Saturday 24th Apr "Naming Ceremony Cruise" and the theatre has very kind in allowed me to change my Jersey Boys tickets to another date, so that's a good start. Just need to change my train tickets once I know...

All my fingers are crossed that I will be told tomorrow that we are going, so I have told my mum not too unpack just yet..!;)

What a treat all those people in Bilbao are in for!!! They will think all their Christmas's have come at once!:D:D

Linda :)

Lbackwith, I'm sorry about your and everyone else who was booked on that sailing. I hope they compensate you in some way. If anyone has the ways and means to help is such a situation as this, then they are doing the right thing. Hopefully this volcano will go back to sleep soon and things will get back to normal!

I do know that and genuinely have no issues with what they are doing.:)

According to sky news overnight theEclipse is on the way to Spain to bring back 2000 stranded Brits

Congratulations Celebrity you will get a lot of positive pr from that

ann

Ps update on son delta have not even given them a cup of coffee but kindly got them a replacement flight on 27th then said go away til then nit funny as their insurance is also ignoring them

This is a horrible decision by Celebrity.

I cannot believe anyone can say it is a horrible decision by Celebrity - as is being posted here they are trying to rebook those onto the naming trip. As I understand it, many of the people on 22nd April trip were travel agents who have been heavily involved in this decision being taken

Sorry but its more horrible having to work through 2am phonecalls from penniless stranded people in America this morning IMHO

Not only is it a very wise decision by Celebrity it is the right thing to do. They are doing a good deed, and the result will be very positive in the area of public relations as it will endear them in the hearts of those they will be helping. It's a no brainer and a win-win situation. :)

I do know that and genuinely have no issues with what they are doing.:)

Congrats on winning the contest and for having such a great attitude in face of a disappointment such as this. I am sure it is difficult for you to change your plans but agree with you and others that Celebrity is doing a great service to a lot of stranded Brits. Can't imagine what this situation must be like. Only thing I can compare it to is some of the blizzards we've had in the Midwest when you are stranded without power for days. Just reminds us how insignificant we humans are in the face of Mother Nature.

I truly hope everything works out for you and your Mum and you enjoy a wonderful journey on Eclipse. All the best.

Not only is it a very wise decision by Celebrity it is the right thing to do. They are doing a good deed, and the result will be very positive in the area of public relations as it will endear them in the hearts of those they will be helping. It's a no brainer and a win-win situation. :)

Yes I completely agree C Dragons, the wins as I see them are:

- Raising the profile of Celebrity in the UK & Europe at a time when more and more new ships are being launched, and due to the difficult economic climate, it has to be more difficult to fill these ships?

- The opportunity to give people who probably have not cruised before a taster of what crusing can offer, at a time when they will probably be saying to themselves that they will never book another flight again! Well, you don't have to fly everywhere!!:p

- Goodwill all round, even from someone like me who has had their 2night cruise cancelled. Were I ever stranded somewhere, or broken down along the roadside; or heaven forbid, sinking somewhere on a cruise-ship, then I would hope others will come to my rescue...

I am very fortunate to be able to cruise and enjoy the nicer things in life (and indeed I work hard for that) but I never for take it for granted as your luck can change at any time.

Happy cruising to all!:)

Originally Posted by 80sramfan viewpost.gif

I think 80sramfan is just winding you up!! Some people just post stupid comments to brighten up their lives, and stir the hornets nest!

I think Celebrity are definitely doing the right thing - I just hope the stranded passengers they are picking up have the appropriate attire to wear to dinner! :D:D:D (this is a joke, just in case you are wondering).

Archived