Breaking news in the UK Eclipse on the way to Spain

uktog

As an American Im darned happy that Celebrity is sending a ship to help those people. I have found myself in a refugee situation before and its a frightning and scary expierence to be stranded somewhere with little money unusure of whats going on.

I heard one expierence not related to cruise traveling. A friend said that her child was among those over seas stranded. They where doing an exchange program. The program ended. The parents who where hosting the children voted to send the children on thier own to a hotel instead of letting them stay thier.

Now these kids by all reports where very well behavied and the european children who came over in the exchange came over in November and some of them got in trouble. But as I understand it the american children who where thier did not get in to trouble.

These children are now in a hotel and im not sure if thier is a guardian or adult supervising them or any of those details. But I think its disgusting those parents would do that. I know this is OT but still,

Adri :)

Thanks.

Found a blog entry on the DAily Mail site saying that they read "...another article of this paper saying the holiday makers should be getting priority" but I could never find the original article.

Do you have anymore information?

Ps update on son delta have not even given them a cup of coffee but kindly got them a replacement flight on 27th then said go away til then nit funny as their insurance is also ignoring them

uktog

Will you keep us updated on your son's progress [or lack of it], please? We are thinking of him.

Sue

As an American Im darned happy that Celebrity is sending a ship to help those people. I have found myself in a refugee situation before and its a frightning and scary expierence to be stranded somewhere with little money unusure of whats going on.

I heard one expierence not related to cruise traveling. A friend said that her child was among those over seas stranded. They where doing an exchange program. The program ended. The parents who where hosting the children voted to send the children on thier own to a hotel instead of letting them stay thier.

Now these kids by all reports where very well behavied and the european children who came over in the exchange came over in November and some of them got in trouble. But as I understand it the american children who where thier did not get in to trouble.

These children are now in a hotel and im not sure if thier is a guardian or adult supervising them or any of those details. But I think its disgusting those parents would do that. I know this is OT but still,

How do you know all of this? Have you been observing these kids since November? Why, "as an American Im darned happy that Celebrity is sending a ship to help those people" ?

Celebrity is not an American enterprise. Actually you don't know anything...Uh, yeah...I heard from a friend...it's always the Europeans. Have "your friend" post the story. I never believe the "...a friend who was there..." account.

Ann, I hope your son sorts himself out soon now things are moving again. There are going to be a lot of anxious people desperate to get home.

Looking at the ship tracker I see that Eclipse did a bit of a loop by Guernsey this morning and is now back on her way down to Bilbao.

Mileage from the press here varies considerably. I find the Daily Mail as poor as many others and take nothing from their commentary and I'm sure if one reads the Daily Express we are all doomed:o

Phil

Who cares what nationality runs a cruise ship assisting stranded people?

We in the UK have an election looming - our present lot have sent three navy ships - two at anchor not picking up anyone and one picking up troops. Great reaction - get the publicity for sending the ships .......and do nothing!!:D Typical!!

So three cheers for Celebrity!!

Thousands are experiencing horrible conditions waiting for transport. Thousands more are more fortunate like us - not knowing when we will return home, but not uncomfortable, although obviously hit in the pocket for accommodation etc. and extremely concerned.

Thank you to everyone with their good wishes. My son is still stuck in USA for another week and at present the airline are saying that is what is to happen. However, we are now aware that as his ticket has a KLM flight number on in, he is and always was covered by EU legislation and therefore the airline where completely and totally wrong in what they did. This is being dealt with, we always believed this was the case, we now have the section of the EU Directive (plus a simpler explanation on the BBC website, thank you Aunty Beeb) to use as evidence. He remains positive and the three of them are safe but now they have missed some job interviews etc and see their exams looming I could tell last night the wee cracks in his very stiff British upper lip

Will let you all know when he safely reaches these shores

Thank you to everyone with their good wishes. My son is still stuck in USA for another week and at present the airline are saying that is what is to happen. However, we are now aware that as his ticket has a KLM flight number on in, he is and always was covered by EU legislation and therefore the airline where completely and totally wrong in what they did. This is being dealt with, we always believed this was the case, we now have the section of the EU Directive (plus a simpler explanation on the BBC website, thank you Aunty Beeb) to use as evidence. He remains positive and the three of them are safe but now they have missed some job interviews etc and see their exams looming I could tell last night the wee cracks in his very stiff British upper lip

Will let you all know when he safely reaches these shores

I hope everything works out for him and everyone else. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this mess no matter who they are or where they live. I just hope people are safe and at least getting shelter and food to eat while they wait this out.

Anyone heard if the Embassies are doing anything to help? When I mean Embassies(sp) I mean of all differnt nations.

Adri

I hope everything works out for him and everyone else. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this mess no matter who they are or where they live. I just hope people are safe and at least getting shelter and food to eat while they wait this out.

Anyone heard if the Embassies are doing anything to help? When I mean Embassies(sp) I mean of all differnt nations.

Adri

The knock-on effects of this are wide-ranging and I really feel for all those affected. My company has lots of folk stranded overseas so we're all covering absences. Some schools locally are shut down as too many teachers are still abroad, having taken their holiday during the school break. Smaller businesses will no doubt be struggling if their staff are missing, people may not be getting paid whilst stuck so further financial hardship, self-employed folk won't be earning any wages, etc, etc. And all this just as the country was emerging from recession. Economically not good as well as awful for the people involved.

To answer Adri's question, the British embassy in Madrid is actively involved in helping people there and apparently Madrid has been established as a 'hub' for people travelling in from long distance holidays. Fleets of coaches are now being despatched from the UK to pick up people in Madrid.

An earlier poster asked why people weren't travelling to the many ferries in the channel ports under their own steam. This is exactly what people are doing and what the UK government has asked those on holiday within Europe to do. If they get themselves to the channel ports then the capacity will be organised to get them home. However the public transport and ferry systems are getting stretched.

Just one example, to be fair she's in the minority.

I don't see why the troops had preference to come home before civilians. It should have been families first.

The troops are used to harsh conditions and could hang on a bit longer surely in Santander.

- shirley, Horsham, 20/4/2010 6:18

Count me among those in favor of Celebrity's decision. Great idea.

Lbackwith, I hope Celebrity takes care of you. Please let us know what the final resolution turns out to be.

I got a call from Celebrity this afternoon and will be on the 2 night Naming Ceremony cruise departing on Sat 24th, so I and my mum are delighted!:):)

I am sure there will be no issues going forward with the cruise due to leave on 26th April. The Eclipse had no sailings scheduled for 20/21st April, and I am sure most cruisers could not make the 22nd Apr sailing so it seemed ideal to cancel that and re-route the Eclpse to Spain & back before the Naming Ceremony on 24th.

Can't wait!:)

Oh I am so so pleased for you. I was on the Equinox for it's naming. It will be so well done and will be such a lovely time. I hope your Mum is excited and is packing again!

A

I got a call from Celebrity this afternoon and will be on the 2 night Naming Ceremony cruise departing on Sat 24th, so I and my mum are delighted!:):) .....

Can't wait!:)

That's good news! I hope you both have a wonderful time, and look forward to hearing your impressions of Eclipse. :)

We shall have to be patient as our cruise on her is not until October.

Thanks for all your good wishes. This will be my first time on a Solstice Class ship, having done the M Class ships and also Mercury, so it will be nice to explore and experience everything.

This is also my mum's first time on Celebrity, so I am sure she is going to be WOWED. I have done a few short cruises with her on RCCL out of Barcelona since my father died and she loves cruising now, so hopefully Celebrity will make Southampton a major departure port going forward and we can then do a few more...:)

I will take lots of pictures!!;)

Thanks for all your good wishes. This will be my first time on a Solstice Class ship, having done the M Class ships and also Mercury, so it will be nice to explore and experience everything.

This is also my mum's first time on Celebrity, so I am sure she is going to be WOWED. I have done a few short cruises with her on RCCL out of Barcelona since my father died and she loves cruising now, so hopefully Celebrity will make Southampton a major departure port going forward and we can then do a few more...:)

I will take lots of pictures!!;)

Have a wonderful time - beautiful ships.

The knock-on effects of this are wide-ranging and I really feel for all those affected. My company has lots of folk stranded overseas so we're all covering absences. Some schools locally are shut down as too many teachers are still abroad, having taken their holiday during the school break. Smaller businesses will no doubt be struggling if their staff are missing, people may not be getting paid whilst stuck so further financial hardship, self-employed folk won't be earning any wages, etc, etc. And all this just as the country was emerging from recession. Economically not good as well as awful for the people involved.

To answer Adri's question, the British embassy in Madrid is actively involved in helping people there and apparently Madrid has been established as a 'hub' for people travelling in from long distance holidays. Fleets of coaches are now being despatched from the UK to pick up people in Madrid.

An earlier poster asked why people weren't travelling to the many ferries in the channel ports under their own steam. This is exactly what people are doing and what the UK government has asked those on holiday within Europe to do. If they get themselves to the channel ports then the capacity will be organised to get them home. However the public transport and ferry systems are getting stretched.

Thanks I appreate the answer and my heart goes out to everyone affected by this.

We were originally invited to the two night cruise on Thursday 22nd April 2010 on the Eclipse. Had a phone call on Tuesday to say this had been cancelled as it was going to Bilbao in Spain to pick up holiday makes who had been stranded as flights had been cancelled. See the Celebrity Web site for more information.

Had a phone call this afternoon to say we are now on the naming ceremony on 24th April for two nights.

Any one else going on this naming ceremony?

:):):)

Thanks Albert, it must be time to ditch the Beeb. I emailed them Tuesday regarding their lack of news on this 'rescue' by Celebrity, and to the best of my knowledge they still do not mention, on either the box or steam radio that Celebrity are going to bring back 2000 stranded UK and Irish holidaymakers.

This obviously in the beebs eyes isn't a news item, although many of their non news programmes are regularly mentioned in their main news.

Oh well, silly old me, I shouldn't expect Aunty Beeb to still be unbiased.......

Archived