nook or kindle?

tutuwahineLV

Yes indeed Liz

I agree that the Kindle 3g is great for travel. I downloaded several free books, games & music & I borrowed an audio download from the library.

Soon many kindle books will be available for sownload at the library also.

The web browser is not ultra fast, but it works for e-mail etc. You can also download PDF documents onto the kindle.

The nook is great if you want color & a touch screen. Try the different ones out & see which you prefer.

Cindy

Librarian & new Kindle owner

I'm actually getting to the point of using both my Kindle (most of the time, admittedly) and my iPad sometimes in the evening. I'm out of control with reading but loving every minute of it <g>.

I have a Kindle and I love it. I looked at the Nook but it seemed heavier than I wanted to be holding for the amounts of time that I sit and read. It also makes it easier to read large books when there is a cat on my lap and I don't have anywhere to rest the book.

I have my Galaxy Tab to handle the internet stuff while I travel and can read my books on it as well with the Kindle App.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

I have a nook first edition and I love it. The e-ink is perfect to read in the sun. No glare. The best part you can borrow library e-books. Just returned from a 14 day cruise and happily read both my library e-books and hardcover books from the ships library.

If you want a color option then I'd go for the iPad.

which e-reader do you use when you cruise, and why do you prefer it.??

I'm getting ready to purchase one and was leaning towards the kindle till I read some of the stuff about the nook from the ces this year...they were raving about it and its being better than kindle. And, I can actually get my hands on a nook at the B&N up the street without having to wait for it to be shipped.....now I'm undecided again.

Please help.... thanx:o

Don't know too much about the Nook, but love my Kindle! I also love the customer service that Amazon has for the Kindle. They are rated consistently in the top 10 of all companies for customer service, so if you ever have an issue or question, Amazon Kindle customer service will be very helpful. I haven't heard anything at all about Barnes and Nobles service. I've also heard B&N isn't doing so hot company-wise, so who might be around in the long run for servicing and book purchasing? Just some things to think about... :)

AmyLee,

A proud new kindle owner but I can't figure out how to delete a book. Can you help?

mariah

Mariah

To remove the books from your kindle

go into the book you want to delete

press the menu button

use the thumb wheel to roll down to 'Delete this item'

it gets removed from your kindle, but stored on your "manage my kindle " space on Amazon. so if you ever want the book back on your kindle, you can redeliver it from the amazon website, so you never really lose it,

Rick

On your Kindle you can also go to the book you wish to remove at HOME and place the cursor under it. Then left click and the message will come up "Remove from Kindle" If you press the center then the book will go into your ARCHIVE which shows on the HOME page. The book will not be on your Kindle but all the books you store on the ARCHIVE can be retrieved directly on the Kindle by placing the cursor under them and pressing Restore.

I bought a Nook when it first came out, I had it replaced 4x (yep, 4) because the bevels on the side kept cracking. I believe it's been fixed with an entirely new design. Besides the obvious and major flaw really liked it. Ended up purchasing an Ipad2 and love the thing.

• 6 months later...
which e-reader do you use when you cruise, and why do you prefer it.??

I'm getting ready to purchase one and was leaning towards the kindle till I read some of the stuff about the nook from the ces this year...they were raving about it and its being better than kindle. And, I can actually get my hands on a nook at the B&N up the street without having to wait for it to be shipped.....now I'm undecided again.

Please help.... thanx:o

Have a Nook, love, love, love it. My friend was given a Kindle for Christmas and asked me to help her learn to use it. It was like going back to a manual typewriter. Don't know anything about the new color Kindle. Go to B&N and try out a Nook.

I was worried about paying for books too because I liked to get mine at a used book store.

I have a Kindle keyboard with special offers. It seems lately the special offers haven't been as special as they were in the beginning (like spend $10 from a selected list and get at $10 gift card or $20 gift card for $10), there are still lots of cheap and free books. I 'liked' a page on facebook where the owner posts free and cheap books and I have gotten a lot of books that way. (Some of these books are not free for long though.) I think overall, for me, the kindle books have been cheaper than the used book store. I love my Kindle.

If you join Amazon Prime you can borrow a book a month from a selected list for free (and a bunch of other benefits) and you get a free month when you buy a Kindle Fire.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Kobo which is like the Nook. I use it only when travelling and then really appreciate the convenience and the ease of reading e-ink. I have used it to download library books but the problem with that is the wait to get the book you want. I have waited up to 9 weeks. I used to say that I would never use an e-reader because I liked the feel of a real book and turning the pages manually. Now I still do read "real" books except when flying, cruising or otherwise traveling. At those times, having many books in one place that weigh next to nothing cannot be beat.

Ciao,

Nikki

yes you can. I borrow books from the library all the time for 21 days!! they are not all kindle ready though some you have to down load on your computer. but since im lazy i only get the kindle formatted ones

• 2 months later...

I was wondering about these ebooks. I enjoy my Kindle so very much, but was wondering, and this may be a very stupid question but what the heck...can I download books while cruising, or should I choose my books before setting sail? I'm sure there is probably a very obvious answer that will make me look the fool, but I guess I'm a fool cause I can't think of it...

I was wondering about these ebooks. I enjoy my Kindle so very much, but was wondering, and this may be a very stupid question but what the heck...can I download books while cruising, or should I choose my books before setting sail? I'm sure there is probably a very obvious answer that will make me look the fool, but I guess I'm a fool cause I can't think of it...

If you want to pay for ship wi-fi service you can download while on board. I load up the kindle before so I don't need Internet connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On your Kindle you can also go to the book you wish to remove at HOME and place the cursor under it. Then left click and the message will come up "Remove from Kindle" If you press the center then the book will go into your ARCHIVE which shows on the HOME page. The book will not be on your Kindle but all the books you store on the ARCHIVE can be retrieved directly on the Kindle by placing the cursor under them and pressing Restore.

Is that also how you remove the samples? Lordy, I have pages and pages of samples but have no idea how to get rid of them.

Thanks!

If you want to pay for ship wi-fi service you can download while on board. I load up the kindle before so I don't need Internet connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THANK YOU! I never even CONSIDERED that part. I owe you! lol

• 1 month later...

If you plan on reading a lot, I do NOT recommend the kindle FIRE, nook TABLET, or IPAD. All of these will hurt your eyes during extended periods of reading. It is just like sitting at a computer for hours on end. You definitely want e-ink which is most similar to reading an actual book.

The newest NOOK (simple touch w/ glowlight) features a backlight so you can read at night and not disturb your cabin mate. I hear kindle is looking to get the same feature so, until they do that, NOOK has my vote on which one to get these days.

One other option.... my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy II) has a kindle app!

You can change font size, background (white, black or sepia), etc, and it syncs to other readers.

I've downloaded and read several free books so far and looking forward to many more.

Archived