nook or kindle?

tutuwahineLV

I personally have the Kindle. I looked into replacing it with the nook, but due to the fact that I live/work in Iraq, I would not be able to purchase/download any books for the nook. They only allow US purchases for the nook. Even though my B&N account is based in the US and my credit card is a US card with a US mailing address, they don't consider that. They base it upon the IP address, which for me, shows up as UK. Since I only get home about once a year, it would not do me any good to get the nook when I would only be able to purchase books once a year.

With the Kindle, I am not able to use their wireless network, but I can purchase any book from Amazon's website and download it to my computer, then upload it to the Kindle (same process Sony uses). While I agree Kindle has a few kinks to work out (i.e. being able to load folders to the unit rather than only the individual books), I have had it since January 2009, and could not do without it. As it stands right now, I have 140 books on it, and have barely made a dent in the memory!

• 3 weeks later...

My wife has the Nook and loves it. No experience with the Kindle, so I really can't compare.

I've never been a fan of the eReaders simply because I like the heft and feel of a real book (Ok, a paperback) when reading. When deciding on space vs. reading material for our upcoming vacation, my wife convinced me to look at an eReader. I cringed when buying her the Nook and didn't really want to make that much of an investment. I did a bit of research and found a more economical solution. An eReader called the "Libre", made by Aluratec. Nothing fancy, but for the $129 price tag, it does all I need and fits the pre-vacation budget.

I know the Nook has dropped around $80 in price since I gave it to my DW, but after adding the two year bumper-to-bumper replacement warranty it still remains over twice the price I paid for the Libre.

Hope everyone has a great day and enjoys (or enjoyed) their cruise!!

~Don

I love my Kindle! I love how easy it is to read (they call the technology e-ink, and it's amazing!) It's because of this technology that it can't be back-lit, but they sell so many skinny little book-lights now that fold up almost flat to fit inside my Kindle cover.

I love being able to go on-line to Amazon and browse for books - and then when I purchase one, it's delivered automatically to my Kindle. I'm sure B&N will catch up eventually now that the nook is out, but I prefer shopping on Amazon because of how many people use it...there are tons of reviews for each book, and I love looking at the lists people make b/c it helps me find new authors.

And as for the touch vs. button page turning...touch sounds nice at first, but when I started thinking about it, I really like that there is a button on both the right and left sides of the Kindle to turn the page. You can easily snuggle up in a blanket or bed and be completely still, just barely touching the button each time to turn the page.

Having said all that...I got my Kindle before the nook came out, so who knows what I would have picked if I had had the choice? But I do love my Kindle!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is helpful. I don't like any device with touch screens. So if I were to invest in an e reader would be a kindle if I ever decided to give up my real books. But I still love going into the bookstore and actually selecting my book.

But hardcovers just add weight to your suitcase. I do like to sit an read a good book while on vacation on down time. Kindle would be my vote

Alrana

We have 3 Sony readers in our family. On my Panama Canal cruise in January I brought 2 of them along - one for me and one for my friend who shares a lot of the same taste in reading matter. We both used them often during the day on the many days at sea and loved not having to worry about the weight of books in our suitcases or the possiblity of running out of books to read. I don't want the touch screen either, as I think I'd be changing my page unintentionally often. I'm very happy with the Sony ebook reader.

When I cruise it's to get away from everyone and everything. To take the time to rebuild the romance with my wonderful lady, and to show her in very special ways how much she means to me. Sometimes it's hard to always do on a day to day basis, with all the outside interference. It's a time to recharge and revive. Time to say the hell with the outside world... So my answer would be NEITHER!!!:eek:

Well, not everyone has a mate to be romantic with. :rolleyes: Some travel solo or with friends. And reading can be very relaxing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a nook and I love it. It goes everywhere with me. The battery life is spectacular, I love being able to borrow books from the library and other nook owners (if the publisher allows it, a book can be lent once). It can handle more formats than the Kindle, plus I like that I can change the battery myself and expand the memory.

AmyLee,

A proud new kindle owner but I can't figure out how to delete a book. Can you help?

mariah

Erm.. I don't have the Kindle..

but if you just mistyped and meant the nook, you can archive it from your device (on the library screen highlight the title and push "View Item Details And Options" and select archive), but if you want to actually delete it you have to do it online via your B&N account.

Amylee<

SOrry I did mean the nook, I studied both for so long I still misspeak. Thanks, I was trying to read the manual on my nook and it was too wieldy. I went on line at b and n and saw what you said.

Thanks

Heading for tahiti saturday and a 8.5 hour flight so looking forward to giving it a run for it's money...

mariah

• 5 weeks later...

I did lots of research, and was leaning towards the nook, but then Barnes and Noble was put up for sale, and that made my decision for me. I didn't want to risk the "unknown" of a new nook owner, so I ordered the Kindle.

• 4 weeks later...

The nook was my birthday present in January and I have to admit that I usually use it when traveling, and still read my paperbacks at home. I really like the nook and the battery life is a long one. I like that it offers WiFi, and book borrowing. It also offers buttons on each side to turn the pages, and I too can download my books to the computer. I believe it also has "free book Fridays" (just found that out).

I bought an Android phone over the weekend and found that it has both a nook and kindle app. I'm anxious to try those out once I learn how to accurately use the phone for everything!!:)

Mary

I ban all electronics on our cruises except for DH's crackberry. It is international and therefore we may be reached in a true emergency...that is the only reason it is allowed.

So...my answer would be neither...old fashioned paper and ink books for us, preferably paperback. We then donate them to the ship when done.

We like our Kindle as you can also read your bought books on your computer with a free download program. You can even sinc them with the last page read.

Don't know if the Nook lets you do that.

Yes Nook has that capability. I have the Nook for PC on both my laptop and desktop. I can start reading the book on the PC and finish on my Nook.

• 6 months later...
which e-reader do you use when you cruise, and why do you prefer it.??

I'm getting ready to purchase one and was leaning towards the kindle till I read some of the stuff about the nook from the ces this year...they were raving about it and its being better than kindle. And, I can actually get my hands on a nook at the B&N up the street without having to wait for it to be shipped.....now I'm undecided again.

Please help.... thanx:o

I never thought I'd like an e-reader, but I got a Nook Color after doing my research...I LOVE IT!! It is the top rated e-reader.

• 1 month later...

I have an iPAD and downloaded apps for Nook, Kindle, eBooks, W. I have to say I've enjoyed the Kindle the most. I've had trouble downloading from Nook as I live in a foreign country and have to go to a 'secure tunnel' to download. With Kindle and iBook I don't. They all read pretty much the same...IMHO.

I also look at he different sites as once I downloaded a book for $15 and it was only $5 on a different site. They seem to vary as to who has what the most cheaply.

Cheers. Jodie

I have the iPad, Nook Color and Kindle. Took the Kindle with me and I am glad I did. It turns out the 3G data was accessible while at see on my last Carnval cruise. Unfortunately I didn't discover this until the last sea day.

I always knew that it would work in ports such as Naussa, but it continued to work well beyond after we left port. It's painfully slow while at sea, but usable for email and most mobile optimized sites.

• 1 month later...
which e-reader do you use when you cruise, and why do you prefer it.??

I'm getting ready to purchase one and was leaning towards the kindle till I read some of the stuff about the nook from the ces this year...they were raving about it and its being better than kindle. And, I can actually get my hands on a nook at the B&N up the street without having to wait for it to be shipped.....now I'm undecided again.

Please help.... thanx:o

I prefer the Kindle. I have a computer and an iPhone. I dont need another device to connect me to the web. I need a plain and simple e-reader. The e ink is very easy to read. The font size can be changed. The Kindle 2 holds 3,500 books and a charge lasts me about 1 month...

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my new kindle and LOVE it!!! I have books for me, books for my kids, games to play, and music to listen to. The new ones even have a web browser. It's like the chevy version of the ipad. I love it and can't rave enough about it.

Before I settled on it, I borrowed one of each (kindle and a nook) to try them out. Without knowing all the kindle could do, I still settled on it because of the ease (and I love amazon).

I just got my new kindle and LOVE it!!! I have books for me, books for my kids, games to play, and music to listen to. The new ones even have a web browser. It's like the chevy version of the ipad. I love it and can't rave enough about it.

Before I settled on it, I borrowed one of each (kindle and a nook) to try them out. Without knowing all the kindle could do, I still settled on it because of the ease (and I love amazon).

Yes indeed Liz

I agree that the Kindle 3g is great for travel. I downloaded several free books, games & music & I borrowed an audio download from the library.

Soon many kindle books will be available for sownload at the library also.

The web browser is not ultra fast, but it works for e-mail etc. You can also download PDF documents onto the kindle.

The nook is great if you want color & a touch screen. Try the different ones out & see which you prefer.

Cindy

Librarian & new Kindle owner

Kindle.

I have a Kindle, plus the Kindle app on my Android phone and iPad. I prefer the Kindle app to most of the other apps offered for my phone and tablet. I sold my first Kindle after I got my iPad, but soon released that I prefer e-ink to a lit screen. I ended up asking for the latest Kindle for my birthday last year. Since that time, I bought a Nook Color and ended up returning it. I just prefer to do the majority of my reading on the Kindle.

Archived