Oslo

I am wondering if I am going to be able to use Euros in Oslo. We plan to take public transport to Vigeland and then back into town where we will do a walking tour. Don't really need much money for that, so am hoping we don't have to bother getting local currency. However, if we can't purchase train tickets with Euros we will probably get a small amount of local money (there are six of us so we will just one of us get money for all). Trying to not have lots of different money to exchange back and forth. How much are the train (tram) tickets out to the sculpture park?

Thanks for any input you can give me. Barbara

I am wondering if I am going to be able to use Euros in Oslo. We plan to take public transport to Vigeland and then back into town where we will do a walking tour.

Thanks for any input you can give me. Barbara

You would probably need NOK

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/ticket-prices-for-public-transportation-in-oslo.49112.182075rda2.tlp.html

we plan on buying the 24 HR pass for transport

I am wondering if I am going to be able to use Euros in Oslo. We plan to take public transport to Vigeland and then back into town where we will do a walking tour. Don't really need much money for that, so am hoping we don't have to bother getting local currency. However, if we can't purchase train tickets with Euros we will probably get a small amount of local money (there are six of us so we will just one of us get money for all). Trying to not have lots of different money to exchange back and forth. How much are the train (tram) tickets out to the sculpture park? Thanks for any input you can give me. Barbara

Agree with our GTA neighbor to the north that Norway will require THEIR currency for use in their country on such public transit services. Some shop keepers might take the euro. Some cab drivers would be able to take credit cards. BUT, for such types of transit and local purchases, the NOK will be needed.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Barbie, I am not sure they will take Euros but we plan on using cc's to buy the 24-hr pass and for museum admissions. That should take care of quite a bit except for small purchases.

The info I have from this board is that a 24-hour transit pass is 70 NOK from the machines or at convenience stores (7-11, Narvesen, etc) at Aker Brygge. You can also buy single tickets from tram drivers, but they cost significantly more (40 NOK instead of 26).

Hope this helps.

I was just working out the costs for some of the museums & transport we intend to use I think the Oslo Pass will be a better fit for us @ 230NOK PP

Check out what you plan to see then add up the costs of doing it individually compare to the Oslo Pass

Only 20 more sleeps before we leave:D:D

Lyn

Kaitsatsu,

If I could, I'd like to get some confirmation. I'm also on the Star, but with an early departure, I prefer not to be rushed. I want to see Vigelands Park and the sculptures and then use remaining time to walk around the central area.

I plan to take the tram #12 from Aker Brygge, buy my tickets from the machines for NOK26 and get off at the park entrance. From there, can I walk back to the city center and then from the city center back to the ship?

Also, I plan to exchange some money to NOK prior to arriving, but in case I don't, are there currency exchanges nearby? Once I change the money, do I need exact change or do the ticket machines give change?

Kaitsatsu,

If I could, I'd like to get some confirmation. I'm also on the Star, but with an early departure, I prefer not to be rushed. I want to see Vigelands Park and the sculptures and then use remaining time to walk around the central area.

I plan to take the tram #12 from Aker Brygge, buy my tickets from the machines for NOK26 and get off at the park entrance. From there, can I walk back to the city center and then from the city center back to the ship?

It takes about 30-45 minutes to walk downtown from Vigelands Park. I would suggest this route, walking over to Majorstuen and then down Bogstadveien, which is the main shopping street in Oslo. Follow the road down to Slottsparken (the palace park) and then cut through the park to the palace. From there, if you have time, you can walk down Karl Johans gate (Oslo's central street) past the university, National Theater, Storting (parliament), and Oslo Domkirke (cathedral).

Also, I plan to exchange some money to NOK prior to arriving, but in case I don't, are there currency exchanges nearby? Once I change the money, do I need exact change or do the ticket machines give change?

There are some ForEx shops in the area immediately around the city hall. Alternatively, if you have a debit card, you can take money from an ATM. The automatic ticket machines do issue change. However, if you pay with a large note (200 or 500 NOK), I believe you will get the bulk of your change back in 20 NOK coins. You can also buy transit tickets from convenience stores like 7-11, Narvesen, and MIX if you want to use a credit card. (There is a 7-11 behind the city hall.)

• 2 weeks later...

With only a few hours to see 1 thing, would you choose the Fortress, Botanical Gardens or City Hall? We were in Oslo 2 years ago and saw Vigeland Park, Viking Ship and the ski jump. On this upcoming trip, we are in port from 7a - 1pm on a Saturday, so since most things don't open until 9a and we want an hour or so to relax and wander the streets, I am only planning on 1 site to visit. I hear good things about the City Hall tours - do you know what times the tours are? We also love Botanical Gardens, so is this one worth a visit? Thanks for any guidance!

• 3 weeks later...

For the poster who has difficulty on public transportation- hire a taxi to Vigeland Park, tell them to wait for you (work out a price in advance). We spent 45 minutes leisurely walking the park and looking at the sculptures, we could have seen it in 15-20 minutes or so.

Get off the ship the earliest possible time- the park will be open ( not the gift shop or facilities)

Then get back to the port area or the central city to do something else, city hall, or take the ferry to the museums, etc.

Archived