Oasis of the Seas on Getaway tonight!

cazz0069

They need to have in every cabin a paging system to keep in contact with each other. You might get lost and not find each other until the end of the cruise.

They did think of that!

One of the cool things they introduced (that they also can make some $ out of) was their "WoW phones." These work as both an onboard reference/information source, plus person locator, plus onboard telephone so you can be called on as well as call others from it.

I really enjoyed the segment tonight. It truely is massive. My problem with going on this ship is that if I went on it 7 days wouldn't be nearly enough time to enjoy the ship.

I agree also that the balconies over the boadwalk would probably be noisy. The elevator thinggie was awesome though.....no more carrying around the daily newspaper....lol.

I also wondered how many restaurants & coffee shops etc were included in the price.

I wouldn't say no to this ship, but with airfares & all it would make a pretty expensive 7 days.

Deidre.

The ship is obviously designed for the American market. I am glad that it will be staying over there.

They mentioned another ship is coming along, where are they are going to base it?

From my observations it has been built for the younger market, are they trying to compete with Disney cruises?

And yes it did seem like it would be very noisy.

I agree Jas who would want a balcony overlooking to another side of balconies, give me beautiful peaceful views of lovely blue ocean any day!

I found it huge and glitzy and quite impressive but ugly and way too big for my liking, I'd get lost:eek: .

It's like a multi storey tourist resort morphed with a shopping mall and bolted on a barge.

It is amazing but I don't think that the passengers would get the proper cruise ship experience which is a big part of why people cruise rather than go the swanky land based resorts. :(

Jenny

I am pretty sure the restaurants would be inclusive. On the Mariner , they had coffee shops, burger bars, asian ,ice cream,pizza and they were all inclusive.

Except for one up market ice cream place that sells the coffee type of drinks that gloria jeans sells as well as premium ice cream.

I found it huge and glitzy and quite impressive but ugly and way too big for my liking, I'd get lost:eek: .

It's like a multi storey tourist resort morphed with a shopping mall and bolted on a barge.

It is amazing but I don't think that the passengers would get the proper cruise ship experience which is a big part of why people cruise rather than go the swanky land based resorts. :(

Jenny

Well said, Jenny:)

I am pretty sure the restaurants would be inclusive. On the Mariner , they had coffee shops, burger bars, asian ,ice cream,pizza and they were all inclusive.

Except for one up market ice cream place that sells the coffee type of drinks that gloria jeans sells as well as premium ice cream.

There's a lot of charging speciality restaurants on board. I can't remember them all now, but I think it was just under half. There's a list that can be dug up with some searching though.

They also do have Ben and Jerry's ice cream shop at least which is chargeable, but I'd expect there are others too.

Jenny

Well put...Whats the point of being on a ship that at the end of the day just ends up being like a resort. I saw pics of the loft suites that had on offer and they looked awesome. The picture window was 2 stories high (as as the cabin) Now that would be nice! :)

I read somewhere - a while back now so can't remember where - that you are limited to certain areas by the accommodation you have.

I thought then that it would be like going back to the bad old days of the class system, eg - You are walking to the front (sorry, bow) of the ship and suddenly your way is barred by a sign that says: First Class Passengers only Past this Point!

(I can still remember being very put out by that as a child - coming from the 'outback' I already felt like a second-class citizen!!!:D:D)

OMGGGGGGG - I was probably SCARRED for life! :eek:

I read somewhere - a while back now so can't remember where - that you are limited to certain areas by the accommodation you have.I thought then that it would be like going back to the bad old days of the class system, eg - You are walking to the front (sorry, bow) of the ship and suddenly your way is barred by a sign that says: First Class Passengers only Past this Point!(I can still remember being very put out by that as a child - coming from the 'outback' I already felt like a second-class citizen!!!:D:D)OMGGGGGGG - I was probably SCARRED for life! :eek:

Thats what its like on Cunard.

When we were on QM2 there were certain decks that were restricted.

I read somewhere - a while back now so can't remember where - that you are limited to certain areas by the accommodation you have.

I thought then that it would be like going back to the bad old days of the class system, eg - You are walking to the front (sorry, bow) of the ship and suddenly your way is barred by a sign that says: First Class Passengers only Past this Point!

(I can still remember being very put out by that as a child - coming from the 'outback' I already felt like a second-class citizen!!!:D:D)

OMGGGGGGG - I was probably SCARRED for life! :eek:

Really. Would people really stand for that these days?? I wouldnt. I am sure they would have concieges and probably something like the Qantas Club perhaps...Very interesting.

Hey Sandy, where is your next cruise to?

Hey Sandy, where is your next cruise to?

Jas, just to Noumea, Lifou and Vila. It was the cruise booked so that I wouldn't be toooo depressed after the NZ cruise. It's only 7 days - we were tempted to do a B2B as the one after is up the coast, but decided to go to NZ again next Feb instead.

Then.... it would be nice to do something on the Sun Princess when she is based in Qld for a while. I was just looking at the dry dock photo link Kiwi Cruiser posted. Ohhh... one can always dream, eh :rolleyes:

Well put...Whats the point of being on a ship that at the end of the day just ends up being like a resort. I saw pics of the loft suites that had on offer and they looked awesome. The picture window was 2 stories high (as as the cabin) Now that would be nice! :)

They're some of the most popular too. Those loft (and a few of the other suites) have been usually the first to go.

Cunard's like that (and in fact some of the newer ships like MSC's) but Oasis hasn't gone down that path.

Actually, Big M, I did read it about the Oasis. You were limited to certain areas or lounges (something like that) depending on where your cabin/stateroom is. It would probably be more to do with number of people than class, I'd say. I'll try to find it again.

Actually, Big M, I did read it about the Oasis. You were limited to certain areas or lounges (something like that) depending on where your cabin/stateroom is. It would probably be more to do with number of people than class, I'd say. I'll try to find it again.

From what you've written, the only thing I can think of is that suite guests do get some allocated sun lounges, and chairs in the theatre. I just wouldn't describe that as others being limited in what areas they can go because of their accommodation - and it sounds like that's the way others took it. Decks aren't blocked off, and restaurants/areas aren't exclusive.

Everyone can still go to all the same areas; it's just that suite guests do get some benefit as well.

You're probably right Big M, as I said it is a while ago that I read it and I didn't mean they would be blocked off, but that not everyone could use parts.

I think that would still be annoying if you had friends in that situation, although I'm sure there would be plenty of places you could still go.

Archived