Finally home from the Splendour

After 5 extra days vacation in Venice we are finally home from the Splendour (10 -17 April Greek Islands sailing).

Due to the volcanic ash, our flights on Sat 17/4 were cancelled. We spent a night in Venice before moving out for 4 more cheaper nights in Mestre (just on the mainland).

We had managed to reschedule flights for today (Thurs 22) but didn't know until yesterday that it was likely to fly. In the meantime we looked at trains, hire cars and coaches before finally checking-in at Marco Polo today. Our plan B was a coach being organised by the British Consulate in Milan from Venice-Mestre on Thursday evening, fortunately we didn't need it (especially at 150 euros a head)! Remarkably there were empty seats on the plane back to London from Venice.

Overall, a bill for £1,000 for food and accomodation will be winging its way to British Airways.

For those more interested in the cruise than our travel problems, we had a great time on the Splendour - some lovely ports of call and great weather (after a windy and wet visit to Split). We loved the ship and enjoyed the food.

The late departure program worked well (especially since we had nowhere to go). RCL kindly opened up phone lines and free internet access for stranded travellers.

A couple of issues - we rarely had a warm shower in our stateroom and the Adventure Ocean was the poorest we have experienced (which seemed to result in a lot of bored teens hanging around the stairwells).

The jury is out on My Time dining.

The CD Bill Bruckhorst was fun - but did rather remind me of Ed Winchester....

Pleased you enjoyed the Splendour, we are doing that cruise later in the year. What is the late departure programme?

One more question, do they serve draught beer and any idea how much it costs? I know that may seem unimportant but I don't like any other drink?

Cheers,

Jim

Hi. The late departure allows you to stay onboard until about 3pm on departure day. It costs around $33 (half price for kids) - no hurry to get out of room (9am), use of pools, Windjammer, shuffleboard etc. We thought it was worth it for lunch alone given the cost of meals in Venice!

I did have a large draught lager (not sure what brand) - around $6 + tip.

I can think of worse places to be stranded than Venice. LOL! Glad you had a good time on Splendour. We did that trip in May 2007. We had a lot of fun. Sorry about the delay in getting home. It is never fun waiting to fly home. After our cruise, we rented cars and toured Italy. On our return flight home, the employees at the Rome airport went on strike (I guess that happens often) and it took us over a day to leave Rome and then we had to stay an extra night in Atlanta to fly home.

MTD. I noted your comment on this, can you explain more why you are not convinced on this option..

Hi. We weren't really convinced it offered us anything. You sit in the same general area very night, so see similar people and wait-staff, but without forming any particular relationships.

We kept forgetting to book for the next night so it was a bit of a hassle to phone/visit the desk. The shows etc are still configured around main/second sitting.

With two pre-teens we tended to eat fairly early every night anyway, so it didn't offer us any particular advantage. It may suit others. Our kids would rather have one waiter who knows what drink they want the minute they sit down.

Possibly our experience was compounded by some slow service and waiting for others to join our table some nights. This seems to be one of the problems - 4 people on table for 10 at 6.30? As it's MyTime dining, the other 6 people may not show until 7. They are welcome to do so - it's their cruise too, but with hungry kids it didn't always work.

That said we met some nice people we may not have otherwise met....

We did MTD a couple of times. One time we were a large group (11) and we all sat together, so it worked out great (although service seemed 'rushed')......last time there were 4 and requested a large table, but Freedom didn't have any large tables so we never dined with anyone. They also crammed the tables in so tight it was a pain getting in and out. We usually had the same wait staff each night, but more than once they completely forgot an appetizer that someone ordered and when reminded they brought it after the entree. Service was so slow on Freedom that more than once I missed desert because there was another activity I wanted to attend, even though we sat down 90 minutes before the other activity started.

We'll be sailing on the Splendour in October too and I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your cruise - (so sorry for the volcano issue...what a mess)

We've already sailed on her some years ago and I was concerned she might be "tired"

Did you happen to try eating at the Windjammer for dinner?

Do you remember if there were sushis?

Was it packed?

We , too, have notice on previous cruises that eating at MDR took much longer than it used to.

I've tested MyTime Dining on our last cruise and was disappointed.

Even though we made a reservation and told the waiter we'd like to make it to the show , our dinner took too long.

We wanted to place our order right after showing up as we knew what we wanted but waiter wouldn't take our order.

Time to place order: 20 min (no kidding)

Time till appetizers came: more 20 min...

so, after 40 min of waiting, my daughter was completely bored (me too in fact!) and we did not really enjoy our meal

and then, we had to wait with our dirty plates on the table till the tables next to us were ready too..

On the other hand, we really enjoyed the Windjammer which was very quiet at 8:30 and most of the food from the MDR was offered there too, fruits soups included!

Other question regarding the onboard activities: what was offered? dance, sport, trivia,.. ?

Thank you SO much in advance!

Toonye

Hi.

I didn't feel the Splendour was tired - everything seemed fairly new and shiny. Certainly at least on a par with the Grandeur.

We didn't eat at the WJ for dinner. Breakfast and lunch only - it was always busy at peak times - partly due to the weather forcing people indoors.

I didn't see sushi but think it may have been available on the MDR brunch.

Our MTD experiences were similar. One night I had to mention to the maitre d' that we had waited almost half an hour with no bread or wine (it appeared very quickly!). I don't think I've seen a Head Waiter clearing tables before to try to catch up!

Loads of activities (too many to mention) - lots of quizzes, walks, dance/scrapbook/jewellery workshops, climbing, minigolf, shuffleboard etc.

I'm sure you will have a great time.

My dd and her new husband will be doing this cruise in July for their honeymoon. Her new father in law paid for it. Last week we noticed a price drop and that he did not buy insurance. So we got the price drop and the insurance for them.

Spirite,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed Splendour. My first cruise (ever) will be on the SOS on May 22. I was concerned that it might be tired so I was happy to hear your positive opinion.

Could you please share with us what you did at the various ports?

Also, being a first time cruiser I have a question about the dining. We have traditional dining at 6:30pm. Does this mean that until the entire table is present, we can't order or eat ? I hadn't thought about that. I booked us at a larger table because I thought it would be more fun but not if I have to wait for 10 people to show up !

Thanks for the help!

Spirite....thanks for posting about your trip on Splendor. Glad you had a great time. We will be on Splendour as well for the May 22 sailing. I'm interested in hearing about your port visits as well and what you did and recommend. What kind of entertainment/shows did you see? How were they and was there any live jazz, smooth jazz? or pianist? Appreciate in advance!

I'm interested in hearing about your port visits as well and what you did and recommend. What kind of entertainment/shows did you see? How were they and was there any live jazz, smooth jazz? or pianist? Appreciate in advance!

Ports - this is what we did - would happily recommend it:

Split - walk into town and wander round the Roman palace - if you can stomach it, climb the belltower (only a few Kuna). Buy a coffee and cake in a cafe (also only a few Kuna). If you dock early on Sunday it will be very quiet until church services finish about 11.

Corfu - the town is walkable (or take a local bus rather than pay for the ship's shuttle). Wander through the old town and grab a local Mythos beer on the way home.

Athens - we took the ship's tour the Acropolis - slightly expensive but a good professional tour.

Mykonos - lovely greek town - walkable, but a bit risky on the winding roads? If you don't want to bother with the town, there is a small beach within sight of the ship with a lovely bar/taverna (5 minutes walk)

Katakolon - ship's tour to Olympia - simply stunning - must see. Wander around town afterwards (and have another Mythos)

There was live music (inc 50's/jazz etc) at grand piano in the Schooner bar and in lounges - but we didn't go, so can't vouch for the quality.

I'm not a huge fan of the singing/dancing variety shows with the on-board crew - but I'd say they were a similar standard to others I've seen.

We had an average juggler. A high quality West End singer. A competent young British magician who was good fun. A Rat-pack tribute did an excellent set.

I hope this helps.

Could you please share with us what you did at the various ports?

Also, being a first time cruiser I have a question about the dining. We have traditional dining at 6:30pm. Does this mean that until the entire table is present, we can't order or eat ? I hadn't thought about that. I booked us at a larger table because I thought it would be more fun but not if I have to wait for 10 people to show up !

Hi - I hope my previous posts helps on the ports.

Whenever we have done traditional dining we have never had a problem with latecomers (5-10 minutes max). At the very least the wait-staff should start providing menus/drinks and bread while you are waiting.

We would always try to be on time and would apologise to other diners if we were delayed even 10 minutes. If we knew we would be late the following evening we would advise the waiter so no-one was left hanging around.

I'm not sure if there is a strict etiquette, but I'd hope your tablemates would be equally polite.

Thanks Spirite. Your information was extremely helpful. I thought I could use euro's in Croatia....where did you get the kuna's? Your recommendations at the ports were very helpful. We already have a driver/tour set for Athens, which I'm glad about due to the daily strikes. Mykonos, we will probably go to the beach via cab...I think Paradise but not sure? But will do what you recommend for the other ports, especially the Mythos beer....can't wait! Really appreciate the info on the live jazz, that will be awesome. I have to do some work while on the cruise...ugh. So bringing the computer along and will find wifi hotspots on the ship. Do you know where they might be? We are staying on deck 8 and hope to find some spots there even though I have heard they might be slow. I did hear that there are several places where you can go to work on your own computer off the ships wifi for a fee, lol. Did you stay in a room with a balcony, and if so, how was your room? Getting excited...leaving in 2 weeks and hope the volcano sleeps and Athens, Greece remains quiet, no strikes!

Thanks so much Spirite. I appreciate the info on the ports and the dining.

Only 2 more weeks and I'll be on my way to Venice!

Hi - I hope my previous posts helps on the ports.

Whenever we have done traditional dining we have never had a problem with latecomers (5-10 minutes max). At the very least the wait-staff should start providing menus/drinks and bread while you are waiting.

We would always try to be on time and would apologise to other diners if we were delayed even 10 minutes. If we knew we would be late the following evening we would advise the waiter so no-one was left hanging around.

I'm not sure if there is a strict etiquette, but I'd hope your tablemates would be equally polite.

Thanks Spirite. Your information was extremely helpful. I thought I could use euro's in Croatia....where did you get the kuna's? Your recommendations at the ports were very helpful. We already have a driver/tour set for Athens, which I'm glad about due to the daily strikes. Mykonos, we will probably go to the beach via cab...I think Paradise but not sure? But will do what you recommend for the other ports, especially the Mythos beer....can't wait! Really appreciate the info on the live jazz, that will be awesome. I have to do some work while on the cruise...ugh. So bringing the computer along and will find wifi hotspots on the ship. Do you know where they might be? We are staying on deck 8 and hope to find some spots there even though I have heard they might be slow. I did hear that there are several places where you can go to work on your own computer off the ships wifi for a fee, lol. Did you stay in a room with a balcony, and if so, how was your room? Getting excited...leaving in 2 weeks and hope the volcano sleeps and Athens, Greece remains quiet, no strikes!

Hi - no balcony unfortunately:(. Although we were deck 8 and found it very convenient.

We had also heard about Paradise beach and had planned on using a bus - but they weren't frequent enough out of season.

There is wifi and you can get a map of hotspots - sorry but I don't have one - seemed to be quite widespread.

It seemed that most shops in Split would take euro. I bought a few kuna from our FX agency, but probably could have got away with euros.

Good lunch with the volcano and enjoy the cruise.

Spirite, thank you SO much for all the information and especially the tips on the ports.

Do you happen to remember when the formal nights where scheduled?

Do they still have a "smart casual" night? I was surprise we didn't have it anymore on the Voyager last month...

Thank you !

toonye

Hi - no balcony unfortunately:(. Although we were deck 8 and found it very convenient.

We had also heard about Paradise beach and had planned on using a bus - but they weren't frequent enough out of season.

There is wifi and you can get a map of hotspots - sorry but I don't have one - seemed to be quite widespread.

It seemed that most shops in Split would take euro. I bought a few kuna from our FX agency, but probably could have got away with euros.

Good lunch with the volcano and enjoy the cruise.

Thanks so much....great to hear about the map of the hotspots.....I will definitely find one. We are on 8 as well in a JS. Hope it is quiet at night. Did you see many singles in their 20-30's. My son is 21 and would like to meet others his age. Thanks for all of your helpful information and taking the time to post....this has been a very helpful thread!

Overall, a bill for £1,000 for food and accomodation will be winging its way to British Airways.

Did BA say they would reimburse travelers with cancelled flights for their extra trip expenses? If so, that's great - but I don't see that as BA's responsibility. That's why I buy trip insurance.

Did BA say they would reimburse travelers with cancelled flights for their extra trip expenses? If so, that's great - but I don't see that as BA's responsibility. That's why I buy trip insurance.

Under EU law, it is BA's responsibility to provide food and accomodation. They have no further liability for incidental expenses/other consequential loss.

My insurance company is currently refusing claims on the basis of a volcano being an "Act of God".

Archived