Can you make me feel better about my Access America insurance

eetonaee

I have insurance for my cruise and air travel with Access America, the company suggested by my internet travel agency.

I just googled them and was blown away by the number of complaints.

They seem to have a standard procedure of denying claims if you believe everything you read about them.

Is there anyone here who has had a claim with them approved?

Every, and I mean every, insurance company has complaints online about it. They are a legit insurance company, and they do pay claims. And yes, they do occasionally screw up and not pay a legit claim.

Many (or maybe most, if not all) of the complaints against reputable companies (of which Access America is one) usually involve circumstances in which the policy is not supposed to pay out, and the policyholder wishes it would. For instance: policyholder buys a policy that doesn't include cancellation for medical reasons for people not traveling with you. Beloved Grandma dies, the trip is canceled, and then the heartless, cruel, insurance company won't pay. Pre-ex exclusions are another bone of contention.

This sort of thing is a particular problem for Access America because many of their policies are custom-written for individual agencies, airlines, etc. and their coverage varies widely.

SirWired

A few years age we had an incident where a friend got notice of a death in the family a few hours after she boarded the ship but before we set sail from San Juan. Access America paid the cost of the new ticket to get them home. Two years ago they paid the cost of a ticket on Jet Blue from FLL to EWR when Continental cancelled our flight but Jet Blue was still flying.This was on a Thursday and Continental said they could not re-ticket us until Sat.

A few years ago I had a cruise planned with my sister. One month before we were to leave, my niece was diagnosed with a brain tumor and needed surgery right away. Access America refunded the entire cost of cruise and airfare within 2 weeks.

My father in law had to be medically evacuated in Jamaica. Access paid his hospitalization - both on the ship and in the Jamaica Hospital, hotel room for his wife, ambulance to the hospital from the ship, and two airline tickets back to New Jersey. They also paid for the 5 days of the cruise that were missed. He had to pay for everything himself and Access sent him a check for everything about 6 weeks later.

The main problem with Access, in my opinion, is they have many supplier restrictions, with regards to bankruptcy. If you don't use an American based airline, they won't cover you, so airlines like Luftansa, Alitalia, and I believe British Air, etc. are excluded.

Archived