Dress code in Main Dining Room

Hi everyone

Two questions,

1. Jeans for dinner in the dining room? I mean nice jeans with heels and a nice top. No rips. Very fashionable

2. Shorts (not denim) for dinner in the dining room? Again, nice shorts with heels and a nice top. On the longer side. again very fashionable

Leaving on Thursday on the Explorer. Just wondering.

I have worn "exactly" what you're describing..you will look great..Don't let the self appointed "Fashion Police" on this board tell you anything else...and they will very quickly.....Enjoy your cruise...;)

I have worn that also and looked GREAT. I did not feel underdressed or overdressed. I felt and looked very modern and stylish. I wear great (and expensive) designer jeans with a feminine blouse, terrific jewelry, and caged heels. No problem wearing that in the dining room. On formal nights I do wear a little black dress - no prom gowns for me :D But on any other night, you will find me in jeans, capris, long shorts, or black pants. I am on vacation in the Caribbean, not at the Oscars.

Wear what you are comfortable with and you will look and feel great. I have new jeans for my cruise on May 30. I got some that are narrow legs and I can roll up to make more casual and have that contrast. Or I can wear them down for a dressier look. Have a terrific time!

I think it's a very youthful, chic look. I have a group of girlfriends and several of us like to wear jeans when we go out. Some still dress in a more conservative fashion and therefore look older. Those of us who wear the jeans and cute tops feel younger and "cooler". It's fun ;)

Hi everyone

Two questions,

1. Jeans for dinner in the dining room? I mean nice jeans with heels and a nice top. No rips. Very fashionable

2. Shorts (not denim) for dinner in the dining room? Again, nice shorts with heels and a nice top. On the longer side. again very fashionable

Leaving on Thursday on the Explorer. Just wondering.

The Cruise Compass and the signs at the doors to the MDR state that no shorts are permitted at dinner.

The Cruise Compass and the signs at the doors to the MDR state that no shorts are permitted at dinner.

Thanks..John Henry..but I don't think we girls are talking about the kind of shorts you are..;)

I think it's a very youthful, chic look. I have a group of girlfriends and several of us like to wear jeans when we go out. Some still dress in a more conservative fashion and therefore look older. Those of us who wear the jeans and cute tops feel younger and "cooler". It's fun ;)

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"...:D

You are correct John..but we all know that RCI posts those signs and then doesn't adhere to their own dress code.:rolleyes:

Wear whatever you like ladies!!! RCI isn't an upscale line..so anything goes. We've seen it all!!! I've rarely seen anyone turned away these days...RCI just wants to fill their ships..they have to pay their bills so they don't much care what their pax wear.

Taste isn't an issue any longer...as long as you are dressed you can wear whatever you like!! Think "Dennys"..and you've got the RCI dress code.;)

I just returned from the Serenade, my table mates wore shorts, jeans and sneakers every night (they did dress a bit better for formal, but not formal). I didn't seem to matter. The new attitude is it's your vacation, relax...which isn't a bad thing (IMHO)...

There are a few people on CC that have hangups about dress in the MDR, however, keep in mind that 99% of your fellow cruisers have never heard of CC and don't come here to be chastised about their dress. You'll fit in just fine, don't worry about it!

Or at Waffle House :D GO GATORS!

Don't care for the "Fashion Police" but if they were at Cracker Barrel I would be there with them...Sorry but I love that place..wish we had one on the West Coast..the closest one to us is in Arizona Yikes !!!

Don't care for the "Fashion Police" but if they were at Cracker Barrel I would be there with them...Sorry but I love that place..wish we had one on the West Coast..the closest one to us is in Arizona Yikes !!!

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/2004-05-07-cracker-barrel_x.htm

http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/story?id=2577627

http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/3-10-06b.cfm

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/04/politics/04DISC.html?ex=1084248000&en=877f53dcd648520a&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

We have a Cracker Barrel here! They are serving the most delicious haddock for the next couple of weeks. We don't have much in this town so the Cracker Barrel is always packed.

I think we were really expecting outrage from the "fashion police" over uconnfan's decision to wear jeans in the MDR. Happily it did not materialize.

OMG...:eek:....John Henry...Lighten up a little..and stop looking for the negative in everything please..:rolleyes:

I remember something similar happening at Denny's. Just goes to show you we do not live in a perfect world.

OMG...:eek:....John Henry...Lighten up a little..and stop looking for the negative in everything please..:rolleyes:

Agreed. John Henry. That's pretty whacked and has nothing to do on this board.

I guess what all of you are saying about ignoring the sign means anything goes. So you would have no problem with someone dining in cutoffs or shorts that cling to the hips. Casual dining is still dining. I would like to think that I would never go into a fine restaurant in shorts unless I was in Hawaii. Even there, there are some I would wear slacks. I know the OP and everyone else probably looks terrific in their clothes. But someone commented that RCI is not upscale. Maybe it is because of the attitudes of the passengers.

There are a few people on CC that have hangups about dress in the MDR, however, keep in mind that 99% of your fellow cruisers have never heard of CC and don't come here to be chastised about their dress. You'll fit in just fine, don't worry about it!

Actually, I was going to say the same thing, but from the opposite point of view. Most people on cruises don't know about CC, and most people on cruises (I spent 53 nights on a cruise ship from March 2009 to February 2010) dress up a bit in the main dining room.

It's got nothing to do with what any "police" say, it's just a fact that this is the way a majority of cruisers dress. So, shorts and jeans are definitely worn in the main dining room, just not by most of the people there.

So, everyone needs to make up their own mind about what to wear, and most people who start these threads are curious about what they have in mind to wear, and whether they will "fit in" with the group. If they don't care, they wouldn't ask.

To the OP: wear what you want, and if you are interested in what most people wear, they don't wear shorts or jeans. But, wear them if it pleases you and suits your needs. Just be prepared that on some ships they are stricter about the shorts, and unless they are lower than mid-thigh, you might be asked to change or eat in the Windjammer. Just be prepared.

Have a great cruise; enjoy!!!

Archived