Dinning with Captain?

Any way we can get invited to the captain's table besides being a big spender and multiple cruiser? This is our first cruise, and we are celebrating my birthday, my husband's birthday, and our son's birthday...very special all around! Any certain request we can make on a long shot that we could get an invitation?

Any way we can get invited to the captain's table besides being a big spender and multiple cruiser? This is our first cruise, and we are celebrating my birthday, my husband's birthday, and our son's birthday...very special all around! Any certain request we can make on a long shot that we could get an invitation?

It is truly luck of the draw. We've been with RCCL for 38 years and got asked to eat with the Captain for the first time last October.

I suggest you go see the Loyalty Ambassador to sign up for the Crown and Anchor frequent cruiser program. It's free, and you can chat with him/her, mention your birthdays, and ask if it's at all possible to eat with the captain or another senior staff member? We also ate with the hotel director another night.

Can't hurt, and maybe it will help.

I just got off of Liberty and on the first night in the MDR my table mates mentioned to the Head Waiter that they were celebrating their anniversary and ended up at the Captain's table the following night. So, when the Head Waiter introduces himself to you on the first night you could try mentioning all the birthdays to him. :)

You didn't mention how old your son is....I don't believe that children are invited to the Captain's Table.

Funny thing, on the first cruise we took our DD and SIL, they were invited to the Captain's Table and we were not. ( that was in the days of the social director, who they met early in the cruise and she must have really liked them)

It's the luck of the draw. We were invited on our first ever cruise. They messed up on our wedding vows renewal on Radiance so I guess this may have had something to do with it. We have done it another twice since but for no apparent reason.

It's the same with the bridge tours. We were on Voyager's bridge when leaving Naples once. That was an experience. The other time was on Brilliance on the Panama Canal cruise. I have a photo of me sitting in the driver's seat.

It really is the luck of the draw.

The Captain normally will look to the Maitre'd, or the concierge for help deciding who will sit at his/her table. Some Captains do not do a table.

I believe your best bet would be to talk to the Maitre'd. Good luck.:)

Rick

Just ask. Don't drop hints, just be honest and say exciting time,1st cruise, birthdays ect........ Or better yet, invite the Captain to dine with you. Do it early so no one beats you to it.;)

That's how I got to spend some time with Oprah. Went to the show asked somone that looked important and told them if at all possible I'd like to speak with "Ms. Winfrey" after the show. Durning a commercial break that same person asked us to remain seated after taping. Oprah left for a few minutes and then came back into the studio. We got to watch her tape several promos, the On the Next Oprah thingys. After she spent about 5 min. chatting with us. Can't believe I forgot to ask her for her eyelashes! Still kick myself about that.

We dined with the Captain nearly every night on our Freedom Back to Back last month.............. in the Windjammer!!:eek:

Same thing happened to us a few years ago on the Radiance. We ran into him a few times in the WJ. He began to recognize us and he even sat and talked with us one evening.

We dined with the Captain nearly every night on our Freedom Back to Back last month.............. in the Windjammer!!:eek:
Was that Captain Olsen or Captain Kasselas? Captain Kasselas joined our bridge tour last January and was very personable.

I've also had that happen a couple of times - run into the captain in the WJ, sometimes lunch, sometimes dinner. I sat at a table late one evening right next to my very favourite captain, but didn't want to interrupt when he was having a rare break. He's since left the company.....worse luck. But I have another fave :D

Fran

I've also had that happen a couple of times - run into the captain in the WJ, sometimes lunch, sometimes dinner. I sat at a table late one evening right next to my very favourite captain, but didn't want to interrupt when he was having a rare break. He's since left the company.....worse luck. But I have another fave :D

Fran

Of course yah do dahlin' :D :D Traitor :D

The Captain on my cruise last year met with everyone in the Royal Promenade on Day 1. He said he would not be dining with anyone during the cruise; His reasoning was, he didn't want people to feel left out, he didn't want to pick a select group and only have them at his table; his table was empty the entire cruise; now he was everywhere; you saw him chatting up in the Windjammer, on the Promenade, in the theater; so I guess he figured he would be more assessable to the passengers by showing up at different places, than having to be at his dining table. No big deal, my group of 15 didn't miss seeing him.

Fran

Must have been my favorite... Captain Rune!! ;)

our DD and SIL, they were invited to the Captain's Table and we were not. ( that was in the days of the social director, who they met early in the cruise and she must have really liked them)

Earlier this month we were invited to dine with the hotel director and another senior officer. (I believe the Captain wasn't doing a table.) My BF is D+, but just barely, and based on the ages and cruising history of the other invitees I doubt his status alone is what got us the invite. But shortly after boarding on day 1 we were in line at guest relations about a minor issue, and the hotel director walked by and asked if he could be of assistance. We began to explain and he invited us into his office. We had a pleasant little chat. Several days later we received the invite.

A friend of mine was on a Celebrity cruise years ago and struck up a conversation with a woman who turned out to be the captain's wife (wife had admired my friend's shoes.) End result was an invite to captain's table.

So my theory is that seniority weighs in, as well as random "meetings" around the ship with the the captain (or his wife!), other senior officers or senior staff members, etc.

I may run the risk of getting flamed here, but this is factual. When I worked on a cruise ship several years ago, in the days of a Social Hostess, (one of whom was a good friend of mine) you got invited to the Captain, or another Senior Officers table if you were cute, and single.....she told me that she would have to go seek them out to invite....

It may have changed a little, but I am sure in some cases that may still be how it is.....;)

I may run the risk of getting flamed here, but this is factual. When I worked on a cruise ship several years ago, in the days of a Social Hostess, (one of whom was a good friend of mine) you got invited to the Captain, or another Senior Officers table if you were cute, and single.....she told me that she would have to go seek them out to invite....

It may have changed a little, but I am sure in some cases that may still be how it is.....;)

Oh goody - I may have a shot on my next cruise :D;)

Oh goody - I may have a shot on my next cruise :D;)

You go girl!! lol....tho be prepared to make all the conversation...some Cpts, get so bored with this 'tradition" that they are not always the best dinner companions....but you get great service! Lol!

I too believe it is the luck of the draw. In Feb 2009 on our first sailing with RCCL our table of six (all first time with RCCL) and another couple were invited to dine with the Staff Captain on Rhapsody - all of us were puzzled as to how we were selected other than the proximity of our assigned table to the captain's table. The table was not occupied most of the two week sailing.

There won't be any harm in asking. ;)

We haven't gotten to dine with the Capt yet, but maybe the next best thing, was during our RT Hawaii on the Radiance, Oct 2008, and the Capt was strolling thru the Schoonar Bar during our self arranged Photo shoot and offered to take our picture, then joined our group for the 2nd take, so we felt honored to have Capt Anderson join our Roll Call. :)

DH and I are not single, or cute :D, but we were invited to eat with the Captain of the AOS (by the Head Waiter). Everyone at the table was married and ages ranged from late 30's to late 50's. Had a great time!

We were invited to eat with the Captain of the Millennium (by the Social Hostess), and had to turn down the invitation because my parents and our children were not invited. :( It was one of my daughters birthdays that night.

Archived