felon/passport/cruise

the_great_one

But how would anyone "prevent" her from leaving the ship at a Canadian port? Crew stop her on the gangway? I doubt it.

That's exactly how it works.

First the authorities inform the passenger in the presence of the Hotel Manager (me), and the Head of Ship Security, that he/she will be paroled (as they call it) to the ship during the port call in Canada.

They are further informed that if they do somehow manage to get ashore, they will be arrested, deported, and never allowed into Canada again.

Then the Hotel Manager and Security Officer set the gangway computer scanner to flash bright red and emit an alarm if the passenger tries to scan his/her card to go ashore.

Security Staff are informed to use physical force if necessary to prevent the passenger form leaving the ship in Canada.

The Cruise Line can be fined by Canadian authorities if they do allow the passenger to get ashore.

....a speeding ticket since 1969........50 percent of the ship probably has that.........and therefore would be denied entry.

You are probably correct about the 50%.

But it is pretty obvious that the Canadian authorities are rather selective when enforcing these rules.

I have to call BS on this one. If this was seriously the case there would barely be an American that could ever travel to Canada. There is more to this story.

Ignorance is bliss, but don't post what you don't know.

I'm sure that there was far more to this story. But the authorities are not very forthcoming when we ask for details.

Not everyone has the money for an attorney. Many people save up a long time to cruise and need that extra $250 (or more for an hour with an attorney) for their cruise.

If you are wanting to lend the money to this person, AWESOME!

I think it is great that you are offering her good advice, but your advice is costly.

Not trying to be judgemental but perhaps the individual's priorities are a slightly off track by spending money on cruise when clearing up their legal delemma might be the better long term thing to do ? . Did you think about that before slamming me about the cost of an attorney?

FYI - Most communities have free legal resources available to ask general questions through their county or township offices. Many reputable attorney's will provide one free discovery session. Also do the words Pro Bono mean anything to you ?

I find, that after reading all these posts, the need to add our story into the mix. My husband,who is Canadian, and was only 18 yrs old at the time, was caught with a small amount of marijuana, arrested, charged and released, all within 24 hours. This Major transgression was forgotten about, ( he is 55 now and not so much as a speeding ticket since ) until we were flying south in 2007, and travelling throught he Minneapolis airport customs, with what must have been a random passport choice, we were pulled aside. After a visit in the ** naughty room** of the airport, he was issued a 2 week parole so we could continue our trip. The U.S. customs agents were professional and polite.

When we returned home, and did some homework, we realized that an American waiver was needed, so applied for same. It did take over a year to get a 5 yr waiver.

On the disembarkment day of our 09 cruise, ( in Ft Lauderdale ) he was called downstairs and there was an immigration officer there, who looked at his papers and gave him the all clear to disembark.

The moral of the story is, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. The U.S. customs officials were doing thier jobs, they could have sent us home, but were kind enough to let us continue our holiday.

Thank you all very much. I checked with my friend. She is not computer literate so I am trying to help her out. I understand it is her deal but I am trying to be a friend and get as much info as I can online and then she can follow up offline.

- for those who say she will not be allowed to enter Canada since she was convicted of a felony, would they kick her off the boat once it gets into Canadian waters or do you mean just not let her off the boat into the country but still be allowed to cruise home without problem?

- would applying for a rehabilitation waiver from Canada and drawing attention to herself be better than not doing anything and just seeing what, if anything, happens?

- when we went to Mexico recently and her entrance to the ship and being allowed off in Mexican ports was no problem, is that because more than 10 years had passed since her conviction or because Mexico is more lax than Canada or because the world is just more aware of everything now than it was before?

- I asked and she did say that her felonies were not alcohol, drug, weapon, violence or driving related but that she preferred not to go into it more with me and I respect that.

- she was born in the U.S. legally so is a U.S. citizen and the cruise in question begins and ends in the U.S., so worst case is she would be confined to the ship while in Canada ports assuming she is not in any trouble by then?

Again, thank you all for your input.

Sorry, I do not know the answers to your questions. Hence the reason why I posted the link for you (or your friend) to read and contact the Canadian authorities in order to ask questions.

......And forget about the 7-year limit story. I recently had an American passenger who was denied entrance to Canada due to a speeding ticket from 1969........

I doubt it was a run of the mill speeding ticket (if it was). ;) DUIs are definite problems. A felony speeding could be too.

My dad got in trouble when he was younger... he didn't think of what would happen down the track.

They went to a travel agent and mentioned that he had a criminal record, and travel agents all said basically don't ever bother going to America - you won't be allowed in.

He went to the local police station who did a record search for him, and got a letter printed from the Australian Government saying that they do not see him as a risk to anybody, was a long time ago, has not done anything bad recently, etc... and they flew to America last week and had no issues at all with immigration but brought his letters for back-up.

Maybe get your friend to speak to the local homeland security department/police station to see what the outcome will be? They may need a special visa or something.

hope you all have a great trip! :)

Interesting since Australia is so stringent when it comes to people who have records and was a penal colony years ago.

I think it would be much harder to get into Oz, with a record, than it would here.

BTW DH lived in Adelaide for 25 years.

I doubt it was a run of the mill speeding ticket (if it was). ;) DUIs are definite problems. A felony speeding could be too.

I suppose that some states may have a felony speed law, but I have never heard of a felony speeding ticket, at least not in California.

We live 22 miles from Canada. Our local newspapers occasionally write stories about people denied entry to Canada for offenses 20 years ago. My step-daughter had a DUI 9 ago and was not allowed to enter Canada. Fortunately, we were in the area and were able to go to the airport and pay $200 for a temporary entry permit. Note: This was in 2008.

I suppose that some states may have a felony speed law, but I have never heard of a felony speeding ticket, at least not in California.

In Ohio I believe it is a felony if you are 20 mph over the posted speed limit.

In Ohio I believe it is a felony if you are 20 mph over the posted speed limit.

Ohio does not have a felony speed law. I am unaware of any state that classifies excessive speed as a felony.

In Ohio, using a motor vehicle in the commission of a felony, or committing any crime punishable as a felony under Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws. However, that does not include speeding.:)

Generally, 15-20 MPH over the speed limit on the interstate/state highways results in a felony. 15MPH over in a commercial vehicle (can even be a pickup if licensed for "county" or commercial use) is a MANDATORY felony. They will originally charge reckless driving, which in most states is a felony. You may ALSO get a speeding ticket.

BTW-California CHP extradites FREQUENTLY, especially for log book, FTA or serious speeding/reckless violations. The fines are ASTRONOMICAL-$1500 for a log book ticket PLUS another $3-500 for FTA. California needs the money. They won't go out and look for you but if you get stopped, particularly in a border state, you WILL be held and California will pick you up.

Generally, 15-20 MPH over the speed limit on the interstate/state highways results in a felony. 15MPH over in a commercial vehicle (can even be a pickup if licensed for "county" or commercial use) is a MANDATORY felony. They will originally charge reckless driving, which in most states is a felony. You may ALSO get a speeding ticket.

BTW-California CHP extradites FREQUENTLY, especially for log book, FTA or serious speeding/reckless violations. The fines are ASTRONOMICAL-$1500 for a log book ticket PLUS another $3-500 for FTA. California needs the money. They won't go out and look for you but if you get stopped, particularly in a border state, you WILL be held and California will pick you up.

I am sorry to tell you that just about all of what you posted is incorrect. 15 to 20 MPH over the posted speed on an interstate is NOT a felony. Reckless driving in it self is not a felony, and CHP does not extradite. CHP does not have a fugitive division that travels to other states to pick up prisoners, and extradition proceedings in California are authorized by the D.A's office . I don't know of an agency anywhere in California that would extradite for a traffic warrant, let alone CHP.

With that said, I worked 35 years for a California agency and cannot remember any agency in any state ever saying they will extradite for a traffic warrant.:):)

I am sorry to tell you that just about all of what you posted is incorrect. 15 to 20 MPH over the posted speed on an interstate is NOT a felony. Reckless driving in it self is not a felony, and CHP does not extradite. CHP does not have a fugitive division that travels to other states to pick up prisoners, and extradition proceedings in California are authorized by the D.A's office . I don't know of an agency anywhere in California that would extradite for a traffic warrant, let alone CHP.

With that said, I worked 35 years for a California agency and cannot remember any agency in any state ever saying they will extradite for a traffic warrant.:):)

Please don't tell me California doesn't extradite on warrants issued for logs books, FTA or reckless driving. I own an international logistics company running 62 over the road semis and am a non practicing California attorney. I have had 3 drivers (CDL) recently dragged out of Ehrenburg, Arizona to Blythe, CA and Nevada to Baker, CA on California FTA's/log book/speeding tickets.

Of course, you could fight being taken over state lines BUT it is easier to just to let them take you to court, pay the ticket AND get on with your business. CHP transported one of my drivers from Ehrenburg to Blythe and also one of them from the Nevada state line rest area to Baker CA. The other one was taken by the local sheriff.

My own husband was taken from Ashland, Oregon to Yreka, CA on a reckless driving ticket (72MPH on Donner). Local Siskiyou County Sheriff is who picked up my DH in Ashland.

Please don't tell me California doesn't extradite on warrants issued for logs books, FTA or reckless driving. I own an international logistics company running 62 over the road semis and am a non practicing California attorney. I have had 3 drivers (CDL) recently dragged out of Ehrenburg, Arizona to Blythe, CA and Nevada to Baker, CA on California FTA's/log book/speeding tickets.

Of course, you could fight being taken over state lines BUT it is easier to just to let them take you to court, pay the ticket AND get on with your business. CHP transported one of my drivers from Ehrenburg to Blythe and also one of them from the Nevada state line rest area to Baker CA. The other one was taken by the local sheriff.

My own husband was taken from Ashland, Oregon to Yreka, CA on a reckless driving ticket (72MPH on Donner). Local Siskiyou County Sheriff is who picked up my DH in Ashland.

Okay, whatever you say. have a nice day.:):):)

Okay, whatever you say. Have a nice day.:):)

This thread has got completley off topic...but yes, as a LA County deputy sheriff friend of mine told me recently...CA has found that there is real money in speeding tickets and cut very little if any slack. For my own part, I got a ticket two years ago coming down the south slope of Mt. Ashland on I-5 that cost me some, just looked up the check....$258.:eek:

Call the Cruise Line Directly, do not take advice from this board since it won't effect anyone here if they are wrong. The Cruise Line will have an answer and they will know for sure and if what some of what is posted is correct then you will have peace of mind. I do not know if they would "remove her from the ship" in Canada...but they might not allow her into the country which would mean not being able to go into port. Why take the chance, call the CRUISE LINE!!

Call the Cruise Line Directly, do not take advice from this board since it won't effect anyone here if they are wrong. The Cruise Line will have an answer and they will know for sure and if what some of what is posted is correct then you will have peace of mind. I do not know if they would "remove her from the ship" in Canada...but they might not allow her into the country which would mean not being able to go into port. Why take the chance, call the CRUISE LINE!!

No...don't call the cruise line. Their customer service agents will not know the answer to this question...they don't have the training or expertise. They often give out incorrect answers to much simpler questions on passport requirements, for example. In fact admission to Canada (or the US for that matter) is at the discretion of the immigration agents stationed at the border or port. Other posters have provided appropriate links to the Canadian government's web page that provides the necessary information. That is government web page is where the OP should look., as well as noting the experience of several posters who have reported their actual first hand experience.

No...don't call the cruise line. Their customer service agents will not know the answer to this question...they don't have the training or expertise. They often give out incorrect answers to much simpler questions on passport requirements, for example. In fact admission to Canada (or the US for that matter) is at the discretion of the immigration agents stationed at the border or port. Other posters have provided appropriate links to the Canadian government's web page that provides the necessary information. That is government web page is where the OP should look., as well as noting the experience of several posters who have reported their actual first hand experience.

Thank you, you saved me having to respond and you are quite correct, the individual customs officer has a huge amount of discretion of who they let into the country. If a person was refused entry they can request a review of the matter by the OIC and there is a one time only entry visa that can be had, on the spot for $200. The most important thing, and I stress this, be polite and honest with customs officers...anything else is only going to create a problem.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have a recent update or observation on this topic?

I have a friend with a <10 year conviction wanting to go to Alaska.

I have sent email to Canada Border service, haven't heard back yet.

Great info on the CA site

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/washington/imm/inadmissible_tr-interdiction_rt.aspx?lang=eng

And a 48 hour transit permit is "Free" Application...

Not that it isn't going to cost to get all the paperwork in order.

I have a question. When you say they are "your" drivers does that mean they were extradited for offenses while driving professionally? I can't help but wonder if that makes a bit of a difference.

beachchick

Archived