Dream Photos - Review to follow!

I'm very interested to hear what Tommy and any others that have been last week have to say. NIce pics by the way, thanks.

I'm hoping that when Berwyn gets back next week, there'll be an improvement in the review and then hopefully within the next month we'll be up to the usual Thomson standard.

I feel really sorry for those who have gone first if they haven't got what they expected, it's a lot of money, and if it's your only holiday of the year it's vey disappointing.

I'm trying to stay positive about this:eek:

The photos look good, no sign of any damaged areas etc.

I must admit the passengers look a bit miserable.

None of this came as a surprise to me, I knew it was not a new ship and still needs to be worked up to maximum efficiency. Did you know that navy submarines can take 18 MONTHS to work up to peak efficiency before they go on their first patrol, so give Thomsons some slack, it is very early days yet.

I look forward to the reviews and would be surprised if there were not problems.

I'm really sorry to disagree, being so new to Cruise Critic, but why should we give them some slack?! If it was a brand new ship with teething problems, ok. But an old tatty ship sold as new - sorry I'm not feeling very charitable at the moment. In the brochure the ship looks bright, modern and airy. In the photos the decor looks likes very old fashioned - hardly "sophisticated"; "designer neutrals" as per the brochure.

The photos look good, no sign of any damaged areas etc.

I must admit the passengers look a bit miserable.

None of this came as a surprise to me, I knew it was not a new ship and still needs to be worked up to maximum efficiency. Did you know that navy submarines can take 18 MONTHS to work up to peak efficiency before they go on their first patrol, so give Thomsons some slack, it is very early days yet.

I look forward to the reviews and would be surprised if there were not problems.

Again with respect Dave,were not going on a navy submarine ;)

I feel really sorry for those who have gone first if they haven't got what they expected, it's a lot of money, and if it's your only holiday of the year it's vey disappointing.

Exactly

I'm trying to stay positive about this:eek:

So am I but you wouldn`t think so :D

i agree with you 100per cent money we have paid it would have been lot cheaper to go 0V but promise of new ship and 5star throughout cruise we paid the extra now it seems we are not getting what we have paid for

Feel much the same at the moment...We work and save hard all year for one main holiday so its important we get what we pay for or damn near it

and we leave on 25th may has anyone got phone number for thomsons will call tomorrow from work:mad::mad: but guessing will be told all is ok nothing to worry about. having said all that hopefully the reviews next week are more promising.

Take your pick

• New Bookings– 0871 230 2800 (Calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras)
  • Amendments or General Enquiries – 0844 871 0872 (Calls cost 5p per minute plus network extras)
  • Customer Welfare – if you need any special assistance – 0844 871 1600 (Calls cost 5p per minute plus network extras)
  • Groups – 10 passengers or more – 0871 971 0560 (Calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras)
  • Blessings at Sea – 0871 971 0545 (Calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras)
  • To pre-book your cabin - 0871 231 4908 (Calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras)
  • Thomson Airways – 0844 871 1603 (Calls cost 5p per minute plus network extras)

Contact centre opening hours:

Monday - Friday: 0900 - 2000

Saturday: 0900 - 1700

Sunday: 1000 - 1700

I'm really sorry to disagree, being so new to Cruise Critic, but why should we give them some slack?! If it was a brand new ship with teething problems, ok. But an old tatty ship sold as new - sorry I'm not feeling very charitable at the moment. In the brochure the ship looks bright, modern and airy. In the photos the decor looks likes very old fashioned - hardly "sophisticated"; "designer neutrals" as per the brochure.

Think the decor thing might be personal taste - I thought it looked smart enough in the pics...

Hi Jim

I've already e-mailed Thomson's cheers! Do you think they'll do anything about it so that i don't spend the the next 2 months dreading my holiday?

Doubtful but I still think Thomsons need to know that future passengers are concerned..Its 2 months before I go also so hoping there is improvement if there is indeed problems

I'm not one to be miserable, I love to enjoy myself, but I like my hols to be luxurious as a reward for working hard all year round. Also as my name suggests, I like value for money and at over 2 grand for 7 nights (including cabin upgrade and AI), I expect really good facilities and accomodation. Tatty and smelly is so not my scene!

Spot on

I detect a note of hysteria here. There have been no reviews yet so how can we have an opinion, even then the only opinion that matters is your own, once you have been on the ship yourself.

As for the photographs, those in the brochure will have been taken by professionals with all the lighting etc required to bring out the best possible impression.

I think people are just overreacting.

Think the decor thing might be personal taste - I thought it looked smart enough in the pics...

Maybe it is down to taste, but all that dark wood and burgundy just doesn't do it for me! I want the light airy modern themes portrayed in the brochure. Are any of the Thomson ships newer and more recently refurbished than the Dream?

But an old tatty ship sold as new .

But it's new to Thomsons fleet

I detect a note of hysteria here. There have been no reviews yet so how can we have an opinion, even then the only opinion that matters is your own, once you have been on the ship yourself.

I totally agree Dave

I'm hoping it is just teething problems?. For me the pictures seem fine, and they look just as they are in the brochure?.

As long as the rooms and the ship are clean, the food, service and entertainment good, then that's the main thing.

Our friend also came back from the Dream today, and like Tommy she was going straight to bed, but text us saying she had a great time.

We'll be wearing enough sequins on it in September anyway so that should brighten it up a bit!! LOL:D

Maybe it is down to taste, but all that dark wood and burgundy just doesn't do it for me! I want the light airy modern themes portrayed in the brochure. Are any of the Thomson ships newer and more recently refurbished than the Dream?

No, they are all older than the Dream.

The light airy themes in the brochure are a product of the photography and possibly subsequent image manipulation. Thomsons are no different to any other company in this respect.

Actually I could probably match the brochure photos with my simple camera given similar lighting etc.

Where exactly did this business of 5 star and 'new' come from. The brochure does not claim it is a new build and as far as I can see stars are not mentioned anywhere.

As for the photographs, those in the brochure will have been taken by professionals with all the lighting etc required to bring out the best possible impression.

I think people are just overreacting.

Well said Dave. This is exactly what I said on "cheer up" thread last night:rolleyes: What suits some doesn't suit others. Someone said they might as well have gone on Ocean Village, well I have been on it and they are welcome to it! The decor on there is very drab and they are just intent on getting money out of you - they even charge extra for ice cream in the dining room and fish&chips by the pool:mad:

I thought the photos looked OK, just like the photos in the brochure. I cannot find any reference to it being a brand new ship - where does it say that:confused:

Linda

I cannot find any reference to it being a brand new ship - where does it say that:confused:

I think where people are thinking it's a new ship is how Thomsons have advertised it as "Their" new ship to it's fleet, but that's exactly what it is. It's not new but to Thomsons it is.

I've seen me stay in some fabulous hotels, but you can guarantee there will be several that have a bad report about it on trip advisor.

But, we'll see what the reviews are, and then if it's too bad then Thomsons here i come for questions to be answered

Photos are here

http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab280/tommytoolhire/Thomson%20Dream/

Cheers

Tommy

Thanks for posting some photos - its great to see some passenger photos rather than the professional ones in the brochure! Looking forward to hearing your review.

I just have one question from your photos - outside cabin plus. Can you please tell me if the sofa turns into a bed? Reason I ask is that we have booked one of these rooms for 3 adults and it looks like one of us is on the sofa! (no doubt it will be me!) and if the sofa doesnt turn into a bed, i dont fancy sleeping on the sofa for a fortnight (or I will be taking a sleeping bag to sleep on the floor!) :)

I think where people are thinking it's a new ship is how Thomsons have advertised it as "Their" new ship to it's fleet, but that's exactly what it is. It's not new but to Thomsons it is.

I've seen me stay in some fabulous hotels, but you can guarantee there will be several that have a bad report about it on trip advisor.

But, we'll see what the reviews are, and then if it's too bad then Thomsons here i come for questions to be answered

I can't say how the Dream will compare eventually (I'm sure it will be as good/better than Spirit/Celebration) but all I can say is that for service, atmosphere and entertainment these ships are infinitely better than any 4* hotel I've ever stayed in! No chrome/glass clinical feel to be sure but I've never felt so at home or had such a good time as the holidays we've spent on Thomson ships.

Here's hoping there are some positive reports and hopes of immediate improvements to operational issues and longer term refurbs. :)

all I can say is that for service, atmosphere and entertainment these ships are infinitely better than any 4* hotel I've ever stayed in! No chrome/glass clinical feel to be sure but I've never felt so at home or had such a good time as the holidays we've spent on Thomson ships. :)

Now that's what i like to hear!! :D

Checking out the Berlitz guide gives some interesting figures.

Space ratings per passenger

Destiny - 26.05

Dream - 35.77

Spirit - 27.05

Celebration - 27.05

Island Escape - 26.68

So Destiny is the most crowded ship and the Dream will give each passenger about a third more space. All things being equal this should mean regular Thomson cruisers will indeed find themselves in a light and airy environment.

More room for my expanding waistline :D

Checking out the Berlitz guide gives some interesting figures.

Space ratings per passenger

Destiny - 26.05

Dream - 35.77

Spirit - 27.05

Celebration - 27.05

Island Escape - 26.68

So Destiny is the most crowded ship and the Dream will give each passenger about a third more space. All things being equal this should mean regular Thomson cruisers will indeed find themselves in a light and airy environment.

More room for my expanding waistline :D

Interesting statistics but if you ask me other than for the cabins the Destiny is much more light and airy than the Spirit / Celebration !

Thanks for posting some photos - its great to see some passenger photos rather than the professional ones in the brochure! Looking forward to hearing your review.

I just have one question from your photos - outside cabin plus. Can you please tell me if the sofa turns into a bed? Reason I ask is that we have booked one of these rooms for 3 adults and it looks like one of us is on the sofa! (no doubt it will be me!) and if the sofa doesnt turn into a bed, i dont fancy sleeping on the sofa for a fortnight (or I will be taking a sleeping bag to sleep on the floor!) :)

Yes, I am fairly sure it did turn into a bed so you have no need to worry.

Excellent!!. I must admit, after looking at the pictures of the cabins they look a decent size IMO! :)

After two unscheduled cruises between Palma and Barcelona to help repatriate 2,800 British holidaymakers stranded by the volcano ash crisis and a five-night inaugural voyage with paying passengers, Thomson Dream has started sailing a seven-night ex-Palma cruise programme.

Selby admitted there were teething problems during the inaugural but blamed many on the ash crisis. Crew were unable to get to the ship for the sailing and the repatriation cruises put an unexpected strain on supplies. He said: “They are all things that will be fixed in days.”

He said Thomson Cruises will be carrying 254,000 passengers this year across the Thomson and Island Cruises fleet, a 30% increase on 2009 due to the addition of Thomson Dream.

In 2011, when Thomson will have the ship for a full year, the cruise line will carry a total 280,000.

Our friend who just returned from the Dream yesterday rang us this afternoon to tell us what happend with them

She spoke to a number of people who's cruises were cancelled but got a fabulous deal to go on the Dream, so it was nothing to what were paying!.

Drinks packages were cheaper, and some got them free

Two restaurants were closed, paint work was still being done due to some VIP's that were going on board, and the drinks package which we were told contains a range of cocktails consisted of one type of cocktail each day. You could have as many as you wanted, but if you wanted a different cocktail you had to pay.

One restaurant you had to pay £25 per head.

Drinks up by the pool area you had to pay for, but they just went to the bar downstairs and got their free drinks to take up with them.

I'm furious about the cocktails because they've totally mislead us on it, so were off to Thomsons next week.

Other than that she said they had a fabulous time and said the rooms were lovely, the service, food and entertainment was excellent, but said other people had bigger problems :(

I feel a bit better now that i've spoke to her, but i need to get the drinks package sorted

Archived