Precription Meds (NASONEX) in Cozumel/Belize - Carnival Triumph

Rowan555

We'll be on the Triumph in September, and I was hoping some of my Carnival friends could help me with this question. I'll post on the port boards too, but time is of the essence right now b/c we have to decide on our health insurance this week through dh's work. ANYWAY - My son was just given a prescription for Nasonex and must take it year round. It's $100 a month and no generics available. I have a feeling this would be significantly cheaper out of the US, but last time we were on a cruise we didn't go to any pharmacies. If anyone happens to know the ballpark price of a bottle of Nasonex or its generic equivalent in Cozumel or Belize, please post and let me know! I can get a prescription for a year's worth before our trip so that I don't have any issues with Customs. I'd just like to save some money, as we may end up having to pay all of this out of pocket anyway. Heck, the savings could net us a 4 day cruise for the family ;)

THANKS SO MUCH!

Interesting question and I hope you get an answer. I do know that in Mexico you can buy a lot of meds without any perscriptions. I use Retonal A and I get it from the pharmacy for approx $100 every 2 months. In Mexico they have a generic and it cost $30 a tube. I bought 3 tubes last time!

Maybe the Dr. could give another kind of perscription that does the same but has a generic.

Good luck!

i went to multiple pharmacies in both Cozumel and in Progresso (?? I think was the other port), looking for meds for osteroperosis.

Its super important you know the name of the med in spanish and even then they might not have it.

We went to the largest pharmacy in Cozumel and even they didnt have it in stock. I wanted the generic version which I can buy (illegally I guess since I dont have a prescription) online.

At least you have a prescription, but Id also look up the name in spanish of the medication as its apparantly different and I ran into people who barely spoke english and only could look up the med in a alphabetical list. The big pharmacy in Cozumel now has a branch closer to the terminal. I had gone there once before for my sisters meds, but we went to the hospital to pay $60 for a spanish doctor to put the prescription on a spanish prescription the ship's doctor had written for us, .. took a cab then to the pharmacy. They gave us one peso for each U.S. dollar in charge :( .. I didnt argue much, since they didnt speak hardly a word of english and we had the cab waiting. I had given them $100 and they gave me change in pesos.

Anyway, I have those two experiences.

Thanks for the advice! We've bought meds in Cozumel before and I ran into the same trouble, not knowing the Spanish name for the meds we needed. I will be sure to have that information handy for our cruise. I will also bring a new prescription just to be on the safe side.

Just be aware please that according to ads running on local tv here (we live in a border city) you are supposed to have a MEXICAN doc write the scrip.

IF you were just buying one bottle noone would probably notice but if you are getting a "years supply" to bring back someone MAY notice something on the return to the USA.

i went to multiple pharmacies in both Cozumel and in Progresso (?? I think was the other port), looking for meds for osteroperosis.

Its super important you know the name of the med in spanish and even then they might not have it.

We went to the largest pharmacy in Cozumel and even they didnt have it in stock. I wanted the generic version which I can buy (illegally I guess since I dont have a prescription) online.

At least you have a prescription, but Id also look up the name in spanish of the medication as its apparantly different and I ran into people who barely spoke english and only could look up the med in a alphabetical list. The big pharmacy in Cozumel now has a branch closer to the terminal. I had gone there once before for my sisters meds, but we went to the hospital to pay $60 for a spanish doctor to put the prescription on a spanish prescription the ship's doctor had written for us, .. took a cab then to the pharmacy. They gave us one peso for each U.S. dollar in charge :( .. I didnt argue much, since they didnt speak hardly a word of english and we had the cab waiting. I had given them $100 and they gave me change in pesos.

Anyway, I have those two experiences.

What is the location of the big Cozumel pharmacy that you said was closer to the terminal? Do you know where a pharmacy is in Progreso so I can compare prices for Retin A?

Just be aware please that according to ads running on local tv here (we live in a border city) you are supposed to have a MEXICAN doc write the scrip.

IF you were just buying one bottle noone would probably notice but if you are getting a "years supply" to bring back someone MAY notice something on the return to the USA.

Interesting - I did not know that. I will look into it and make sure we're doing everything the right way! I'd been told in the past that you just needed a valid prescription from your doctor if bringing meds back into the US.

We'll be on the Triumph in September, and I was hoping some of my Carnival friends could help me with this question. I'll post on the port boards too, but time is of the essence right now b/c we have to decide on our health insurance this week through dh's work. ANYWAY - My son was just given a prescription for Nasonex and must take it year round. It's $100 a month and no generics available. I have a feeling this would be significantly cheaper out of the US, but last time we were on a cruise we didn't go to any pharmacies. If anyone happens to know the ballpark price of a bottle of Nasonex or its generic equivalent in Cozumel or Belize, please post and let me know! I can get a prescription for a year's worth before our trip so that I don't have any issues with Customs. I'd just like to save some money, as we may end up having to pay all of this out of pocket anyway. Heck, the savings could net us a 4 day cruise for the family ;)

THANKS SO MUCH!

Might I suggest you also try finding a Canadian online pharmacy? I've had great luck using them for my prescriptions, especially if I have a script for a year's worth.

What is the location of the big Cozumel pharmacy that you said was closer to the terminal? Do you know where a pharmacy is in Progreso so I can compare prices for Retin A?

Is Retin A the creme for wrinkles?? I think that was widely available almost anywhere, OTC. I could have my drugs mixed up.

-------

To the above person mentioning you needed a prescription from a Mexican doctor, yes thats why we paid $60 to have a doctor rewrite the prescriptions we had, he advised us we probably needed to have them rewritten. So, we paid him. One name was different enough, that he said without rewriting them the pharmacy probably couldnt find the drug, legalities aside (we were only trying to get a extra week's worth of seizure meds, not a large supply, and thought we were extremely lucky to get them). Hurricane and all, and we only had brought 4 days extra, and me, I was not sleeping I was so worried. I dont want my sister having grand mal seizures. So, even though it cost us $200 for meds she could get for $11 for a whole month on her insurance, and we didnt turn out to need them, I did get them.. and was amazed, because often we have to wait for Albertsons to get them for days, and this is something every month we order. cozumel had them in stock.

All I can remember is the pharmacy started with a C, and was a short name .. I was there the last week in january and my memory seems to be failing me right now.

Might I suggest you also try finding a Canadian online pharmacy? I've had great luck using them for my prescriptions, especially if I have a script for a year's worth.

Got to be careful with those, however. Many of them have "Canada" or "Canadian" in their names, but do not get their drugs from Canada, and in fact have no association with Canada whatsoever. They are just trying to hang on the coattails of the great reputation Canada has for producing drugs which are reliable, have good oversight, and reasonable prices.

-------

All I can remember is the pharmacy started with a C, and was a short name .. I was there the last week in january and my memory seems to be failing me right now.

You know, there are medications for that...:D

THANKS SO MUCH!

While there might not be a generic for Nasonex, they do have generics for other nasal sprays, Fluticasone Propionate is the generic for Flonase.

Unless your son has a medical need for the brand name drug, could you ask the Dr. to prescribe a generic? Over the years I have used several different steroid nasal sprays - both brand name and generic, so far my sinuses haven't been able to tell the difference.

Many of the nasal sprays are exactly the same so I agree, check into something that has a generic, like Flonase.

I use Astelin and there is no generic for it. I have to use that one because I cannot use any med that has a steroid in it and Astelin is the only non steroid nasal spray.

You don't need a prescription for meds in Cozumel or Belize . In Belize they will even sell you narcotics at the pharmacy w/out a script .I was amazed at the stuff in Belize:eek: They had Ambien,Xanax ,Vicodin etc. I bought some Ambien for sleepless nights ..but after I got home I decided it was too scary to take meds from another country,even though they were boxed properly:o They are still in my med cabinet LOL :rolleyes:

You don't need a prescription for meds in Cozumel or Belize . In Belize they will even sell you narcotics at the pharmacy w/out a script .I was amazed at the stuff in Belize:eek: They had Ambien,Xanax ,Vicodin etc. I bought some Ambien for sleepless nights ..but after I got home I decided it was too scary to take meds from another country,even though they were boxed properly:o They are still in my med cabinet LOL :rolleyes:

Smart not to ingest anything. The cream is one thing but even then I don't think I would do it.

There have been stories about Mexican drugs that are not what you think they are.

I am trying to remember the name of the pharmacy at the docks in Cozumel.

Back in January, the last time we were there, I did not have any problems bringing back the three bottles of Zpac that I purchased. You can ask the folks there for help in selecting what you are looking for, and I believe they have the American equivalent in the description.

Best of luck!

Ok I admit I'm paranoid, but I'm afraid to get scripts from different countries, we don't know the controls or purity of their inactive substances.

The pill form at least you have hydrochloric acid in the stomach to break it down, but consider this. When you inhale a substance into your nose it is very vascular, putting it into your bloodstream VERY fast.

What if the things they use are contaminated? Are you willing to take that risk on your son?

I agree with others on these boards, there are a bunch of the script nasal sprays and they all are basically the same formula, why not find if one of them is available at the Walmart lower prices? Or a generic?

Just saying........

I would just talk to his Dr. and get a generic too. Unless he's already tried them he has no way of knowing if they work as well or not.I wouldn't trust giving my child drugs I picked up in Mx to save a few bucks.

I'm up to my eye balls in med bills at the moment thanks to a 15 yr old and roller blades. I could cruise on the cost of his ankle cat scan alone but that's just part of having kids.

A few years ago my boss took a Mexican Riviera cruise. About a week after she came back, she came in one day with her face all swollen and puffy, beet red and the skin peeling off in sheets. She had gone to one of the Mexican pharmacies for Retin A and had been rubbing a tube of who-knows-what on her face. So be really careful even with the skin cremes.

Also make sure the pharmacy is legit - there's a HUGE problem with counterfeit meds in Mexico and sometimes even a pharmacist can't tell the difference as they look just like and the packaging is near identical.

A few years ago my boss took a Mexican Riviera cruise. About a week after she came back, she came in one day with her face all swollen and puffy, beet red and the skin peeling off in sheets. She had gone to one of the Mexican pharmacies for Retin A and had been rubbing a tube of who-knows-what on her face. So be really careful even with the skin cremes.

Also make sure the pharmacy is legit - there's a HUGE problem with counterfeit meds in Mexico and sometimes even a pharmacist can't tell the difference as they look just like and the packaging is near identical.

It probably really was Retin-A. The problem is if she was actually using it directly.... Roc and such OTC Rentin-A items are low dose mixed with moisturizer and other nourishing ingredients. Prescription same thing but a little harsher.... They want you you start Rentin-A treatment on a low dose of like .025% and work up and if memory serves... in Coz they sell llike a .025% up t0 .1%. If your friend bought a .1% and just starting applying directly... OUCH:o

This is the problem with us trying to self medicate out of Mexican pharmacies!!:D:rolleyes::D

While there might not be a generic for Nasonex, they do have generics for other nasal sprays, Fluticasone Propionate is the generic for Flonase.

Unless your son has a medical need for the brand name drug, could you ask the Dr. to prescribe a generic? Over the years I have used several different steroid nasal sprays - both brand name and generic, so far my sinuses haven't been able to tell the difference.

Thanks for this suggestion - I was actually thinking about that today, wondering if maybe there was a cheaper option we could just purchase locally. I will ask next week when we go in for his shots.

It probably really was Retin-A. The problem is if she was actually using it directly.... Roc and such OTC Rentin-A items are low dose mixed with moisturizer and other nourishing ingredients. Prescription same thing but a little harsher.... They want you you start Rentin-A treatment on a low dose of like .025% and work up and if memory serves... in Coz they sell llike a .025% up t0 .1%. If your friend bought a .1% and just starting applying directly... OUCH:o

This is the problem with us trying to self medicate out of Mexican pharmacies!!:D:rolleyes::D

Poor thing - she looked horrible!!! She had only used it a day or two when the reaction started. We weren't sure whether it was the real stuff she and she had a reaction (or didn't build up like you said) or if she had some tube that could have been battery acid for all we knew.

Thanks for this suggestion - I was actually thinking about that today, wondering if maybe there was a cheaper option we could just purchase locally. I will ask next week when we go in for his shots.

Another option might by one that the doctor has a plethora of samples of or "coupons." For instance, my son's allergy eyedrops have a "coupon" so that after the insurance pays what they'll pay, our copay is only $5 (instead of the $35 it would be because it is nonformulary).

Archived