West Coasters, where are you going now?

Interesting that you say Princess is more expensive than RCI - I've always found the opposite on the cruises I've looked at.

I really didn't like the NYE celebration on the Sapphire last year. It was PACKED in the atrium, and the other lounges only had that party on TV. On Vision in 2007 they had 3 separate parties so you could spread out and have a really bash in any of them.

We enjoy Princess and will likely turn to them for our local cruises. Carnival is fine, but not as nice for us. I also didn't like the layout of Splendor, and I HATED the pink circles everywhere. A friend of mine told me that you get used to it, but I'd rather not.

I'm still thinking that RCI will be back to LA or San Diego, maybe 2012.

Jean we enjoyed our couple of cruises on Princess as well. I really believe the basic "cruise experience" is the same. Each of the cruiselines do some things just a little bit better. We have booked another Princess cruise for next April. I prefer RC, but would never hesitate to go on another Princess cruise. In fact I believe the one area they have RC whipped is how they lay out their itineraries.

Interesting that you say Princess is more expensive than RCI - I've always found the opposite on the cruises I've looked at.

I really didn't like the NYE celebration on the Sapphire last year. It was PACKED in the atrium, and the other lounges only had that party on TV. On Vision in 2007 they had 3 separate parties so you could spread out and have a really bash in any of them.

We enjoy Princess and will likely turn to them for our local cruises. Carnival is fine, but not as nice for us. I also didn't like the layout of Splendor, and I HATED the pink circles everywhere. A friend of mine told me that you get used to it, but I'd rather not.

Hi Critterchick,

Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading your posts, over the years. DH and I are also still sad over the loss of Monarch, but we do plan to sail on Mariner before she leaves LA . We were happy to see that X is bringing back the SD to Hawaii route. Looks like Century will be doing a limited number of sailings there in the fall of 2011 and spring of 2012. Now, if RC would just follow suit!

Hi Critterchick,

Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading your posts, over the years. DH and I are also still sad over the loss of Monarch, but we do plan to sail on Mariner before she leaves LA . We were happy to see that X is bringing back the SD to Hawaii route. Looks like Century will be doing a limited number of sailings there in the fall of 2011 and spring of 2012. Now, if RC would just follow suit!

Oh, thank you!:)

We've been wanting to do a Hawaii trip for awhile. For starters we're going to take Rhapsody from Honolulu to Vancouver. Not as convenient as sailing from LA, but we love Rhapsody, so that will make up for it.

I remember sitting in a Common Ground meeting (where the RCI brass meet the travel agents and whoever else stumbles in) last year on Mariner and hearing the person in charge of itineraries tell us that the PSA had changed and nobody could do the Hawaii R/T itineraries anymore. I couldn't believe that she was telling a group of (mostly) travel professionals such an untruth. Princess has been doing them all along, and must have loved having the market all to themselves.

Hey anybody want to go to Rome???? Mariner is doing

a 16 day Rome to Galveston on October 26th 2011. The

prices are phenominal.

Anybody want to adopt this old bat to travel with me. I

could only go if I had traveling companions to help me.

I know I probably wont go, but think I will book it anyway

then cancel if I have to.

Maybe more expensive because we were on a 10 day Alaska cruise.

On the Dawn they had two parties, one on the pool deck with live music, and the other in the atrium. Having never experienced that kind of farewell party on a ship, we really enjoyed it. I liked my Carnival cruise, but the Conquest never offered anything but blasting country music all day long on Lido, it was almost too loud to hold a conversation. I guess i am old, but it was just annoying after a while. they left dirty tables on deck a little too long which drew flies (from where I don't know). But I would sail with Carnival again for sure. the food was delicious.

Oh, thank you!:)

We've been wanting to do a Hawaii trip for awhile. For starters we're going to take Rhapsody from Honolulu to Vancouver. Not as convenient as sailing from LA, but we love Rhapsody, so that will make up for it.

I remember sitting in a Common Ground meeting (where the RCI brass meet the travel agents and whoever else stumbles in) last year on Mariner and hearing the person in charge of itineraries tell us that the PSA had changed and nobody could do the Hawaii R/T itineraries anymore. I couldn't believe that she was telling a group of (mostly) travel professionals such an untruth. Princess has been doing them all along, and must have loved having the market all to themselves.

That's very interesting. I remember reading a lot of good informataion here a couple of years back about the proposed changes to the PVSA (pretty arcane stuff). Then, right around the time that everyone was breathing a collective sigh of relief that the proposed changes wouldn't happen after all -- RCCL suddenly pulled all of the RC & X roundtrip Hawaii routes! Hope the new Century itinerary means that they are reconsidering that decision.

Nice talking to you -- have fun on Rhapsody!

Just got off the Mariner 5/16 sailing yesterday. When we expressed our displeasure to Staff as to the Mariner leaving California, we were told that there would be another ship moved to replace her....will wait and see.

However, we are definitely thinking of trying out Princess......

Yeah I was checking out those Serenade itineraries too. I like those prices too. Just couldn't imagine taking a flight that far. I think Florida is super far. So exactly how long is your plane flight to San Juan? Would you ever fly that far for just one 7 night cruise?

We actually did almost all of our first cruises, on other lines, out of San Juan for many years. But that was flying from New York to there. A breeze.

We have flown there 4 times since moving to the Vegas area, only 1 of them was a 7 night cruise. The first time on the Adventure, not long after she got to San Juan.

The rest were longer like 11 nights or 14 day B2B.

We try to fly from Las Vegas to Miami direct on a redeye and then from Miami to San Juan. That gets us into San Juan at about 2 PM. We always go down two days early now.

Good thing we do, because they canceled our redeye last Nov. with almost no notice. They put us on a flight the next day that did not get us into San Juan until night. If we were not going two days ahead, we would have missed the ship.:eek:

I can fly, but refuse too, so we will train to NYC for QM2.

Perhaps Princess to Alaska before they pull out, but last week I went ahead and bought a house on Nacimiento Lake. We would rather take many weekend trips as opposed to travel to Florida a couple times a year.

Therefore, our cruises will be much less than I expected. As I am still in committee on which cruise lol, they haven't been getting our business so will not miss it.

I am disheartened at the rate lines are leaving the west coast, but my trusty Nautique will serve well as our nautical vessel. Windjammer on this particualr ship lacks, but bars and entertainment off top notch.

Was hoping to meet all of you at some point, but I count less than a handful of cruises in my life now.

So it is off to San Juan again in 2011.

We said we did not want to fly that far again, but we just have to sail those two great itineraries on the Serenade. :D

They are the best. ;)

So I am still Loyal to Royal. :rolleyes: :o

Alexis, when are you on the Serenade? I'm looking at them in 2011, also. I'd love to finally meet you. :D

Alexis, when are you on the Serenade? I'm looking at them in 2011, also. I'd love to finally meet you. :D

That would be nice. ;)

I booked a B2B for Dec. 3 and 10, 2011 on the Serenade. The reason is they go to Grenada on one of the weeks. (The second one) I have been trying to get back to that island for so many years it is not funny. I love that island and have been there before several times from 1989. But, I have not been able to get back there since the early 90's. :(

Every single time I book a ship that goes there, either a hurricane hits it and wipes it out so ships can't dock. Or the ship changes the whole itinerary on us. (Brilliance in 2003) Or the ship stops going there at all and takes it off their itinerary. And last but not least, RCCL cancels my cruise. (Last year on the Serenade cruises I had booked)

So I warn anyone going on my Serenade cruises next year, I am a Jinx with the Island of Grenada being on the itinerary. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm back from cruising to Mexico on Princess, right after cruising on the Mariner in February to the same ports. Princess is a pretty good substitute, but not as good as the Mariner. It's a very nice ship, but the Sapphire is much narrower than the Mariner, so the hallways and outside decks aren't nearly as wide.

The food was good, but the layout and traffic flow in the Horizon buffet was really bad. Very small for over 2,600 passengers. We were quite disappointed in this. Standing in line to get into the buffet for breakfast makes for cranky passengers in the morning.

We found there are a few food items areas where RCCL is MUCH better. Princess served very few sauces with their entrees, and when they do the portions are skimpy. DH had to ask for extra sauces every night. The soups and salad dressings are really blah; RCCL usually has terrific soups and a much larger selection of salad dressings. RCCL has much better desserts, too.

Now, these may sound like subjective comments, but we spent 53 nights on a RCCL shlp from March 2009 to February 2010 on 4 different ships, so I think what I'm saying comes from a good comparison.

We will not go on Princess again, because we eat breakfast and lunch in the buffet. But, if these things I've mentioned above aren't that important to you, then it was a very nice ship, great staff, excellent service, and lovely ports.

The weather was spectacular in the first part of May.

Thanks for the comparison Peggy. We ventured out within the last three years and tried HAL once and NCL twice. Enjoyed them all but came back to RCI because it is just a better fit overall. HAL was not what I expected from a Premium line. Food is not much better than RCI with the exception of the lido which was outstanding.

SraFrog, I know I have been on at least one cruise with you and your red scooter. Before you travel to Rome - consider a US cruise. Is there a way to rent a scooter for the ship - US ports should have medical equipment rentals? Then the main problem is the air transportation and getting to and from the port. If you get cruiseline air you should be met when you land so I would call Royal Caribbean's D+ phone number (you must be D+ - you lucky dog) and ask what 'help' is available to a handicap person travelling alone.

You may not have your 'red hot rod' but you could be on a great cruise with the boring grey scooter. Once you have a US cruise with air completed, you can look at an overseas cruise which involves more planning with out of the country agencies.

We are headed for the east coast to try the Majesty. It's not in our sig, as we just booked the cruises today.

We were going to hit a hundred cruise credits........doing a bunch of B2B, and then cancelled all but three.........and said, that with RCCL is doing to us on the West Coast.......we have decided to fly to the UK, to be with friends, and not spend the money with Royal Caribbean.

I think that they could care less, but our UK friends are also abandoning RCCL, because the line will only do the same itineraries, and they have switched to P&O.

I wish RCCL great luck, but we have all of a sudden.......decided that, although, we will be at 97 cruise points with them........we will cruise with other lines.

RCCL has it's strategy........and we will see how well they survive.

Rick

I too am upset about the royal screwing that us west coasters are getting. I am a loyal customer with 6 royal cruises before i tried carnival which i hated the first time. Then back with another 8 royal cruises before my last 2 cruises which were on the Splendor wow Carnival got it right now better food better entertainment. Not sure if its just this boat but the Splendor is pretty awesome....

Carnival has a nice product and some West Coast Loyal to Royals may give it a try. I don't like the Fantasy class, but the the Spirit class are very nice ships. (still can't touch the Radiance Class for beauty)

I woiuld hope that RCCL decided to replace the Mariner with something else. I know i would obviously enjoy being able to continue sailing with RCCL out of the west coast, LA - San Diego area. However if not, it looks like I will have to explore other ports to stick with RCCL or check out other cruise lines however I would prefer to stay with RCCL if possible.

We have cruised Princess and liked it. I will be trying Carnival in about 5 weeks, so I will see how I like that. I will be on NCL for the first time next year, too. I will fly as far as I need to fly to go to a great destination and go on a itinerary high on my "bucket list". If that itinerary is on RCI I will be there!:D

However, where RCI has left us short is the "extra get-away" cruises that we have been blessed to be able to do on the West Coast. I especially loved the 4 & 5 night cruise on the Radiance. My loyalty program points put me on the Mariner last time vs Carnival or Princess. Now I will be checking out the other cruise lines on the west coast for my "cruise fix" & building my loyalty points with them. I am especially interested in HAL's Sea of Cortez itinerary. Some new ports to keep things interesting. I would also jump on a PNW cruise. That would be a nice change, if one were available when I could go.

Hi Ginny,

We will stay loyal to Royal and now that they have enhanced the C & A program for D+ cruisers..it will keep us sailing with them. Yes we will have to fly but that is life.....I will get my Cruise fix at least one time a year by going on the 3 night weekend cruise on the Carnival Paridise since it is only 30 minutes from the house and I do not need vacation time.....BUT.....I would love to see a Radiance Class ship based here in LA for the Mexico run and sprinkle it during the summer with the PNW....we did the Mariner last year to the PNW and it was one of the best Cruises we have sailed on.....The Golden Gate.....WAS A BIG TIME WOW!!!!!

Mike

Hi SraFrog, I'm on the Rome cruise with you and have seen you on the Roll Call . . . .

Have you checked these therads on the Cruise Critic boards?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=46346

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1200041

I hope they are helpful to you for planning the Rome trip! :) (I hope the links work!!)

Archived