Peterhof Fountains-On/Off at different times of day?

Sheal

Hi,

While reading the many posts about the fountains at Peterhof I thought one poster said to go in the morning. The poster said he/she was there in the afternoon and the fountains were not on.

I'm not to sure on the mechanics of these fountains but I thought they ran all day.:confused: I don't want to go and not get the whole experience.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Sheal

The reservoir that supplies the fountains with water needs to recharge. I read the fountains consume millions of gallons a day. So if they run in the AM, the recharge time would occur in the PM.

I do not have information on the specific ON / OFF times...but I believe I read they come ON at about 11:00 AM and are OFF by 5:00 PM. Someone will need to confirm...

The reservoir that supplies the fountains with water needs to recharge. I read the fountains consume millions of gallons a day. So if they run in the AM, the recharge time would occur in the PM. I do not have information on the specific ON / OFF times...but I believe I read they come ON at about 11:00 AM and are OFF by 5:00 PM. Someone will need to confirm...

From the official Peterhof website:

http://peterhofmuseum.ru/?lang=eng

They note: The Northern part of the Peterhof opened: 9:00 - 20:00

The tickets office: 9:00-17:15,17:30-19:30

The fountains work until 6 p.m. every day during the week

On the weekends and holidays until 7 p.m.

On the website, they are noting that the fountains will start in two days or on May 1.

Below are a couple of visual samples for our early August 2008 visit there on a nice sunny day. The Peterhof gardens and fountains are super, super great. Don't miss!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

A-StP-PeterhofFount.jpg

More fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

1A-StP-PeterhofFount4.jpg

Looking up from the Gulf of Finland along the water canal towards the Palace at the Peterhof:

A-StP-PeterhofWaterCanal.jpg

May I also suggest that if you are taking a 'private tour', your host should know when the fountains are on or off.

Has anyone been there with a guide when they were not???? If you were, I would ask for my money back.

Afterall, that is one of the greatest attractions, as emplified by Sam's pictures.

As usual, awesome pictures, TLCOhio.

The fountains were on when we visited which was in early afternoon, approx 1-2 pm.

THANKS, Rachel and Lair Bear, for the kind comments on my pictures! On timing, the other key schedule to remember is to be around the "surprise" fountain that goes off at the top of each hour. Lots of kids are there at that time for this cute water "surprise". It is great fun to be there and watch the activity, from a safe distance, not getting wet. Below is a picture on that great event, plus a couple of others from the super great Peterhof and its gardens. The Peterhof is more than just a few fountains. It was a great variety of wonderful areas and features. Plus, being on the Gulf of Finland allows more interesting sights. Then we took the hydrofoil from here to main St. Petersburg.

For Sheal, I'll e-mail the powers-at-be to insure great weather for your visit. When will you be visiting there? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

These are the surprise fountains that go off on the hour to the delight of kids and others at the Peterhof:

1A-Peterhof-SurpriseFountains.jpg

A carved stone statute in these gardens:

1A-Peterhof-StatueFount.jpg

Another fountain and statue area for strolling and enjoying on these park grounds:

1A-Peterhof-GardensFount.jpg

It is fascinating that the Grand Cascade waterfall and all the water fountains it comprises run with no pumps. Natural springs provide the water, which is collected in the Upper Gardens of Peterhof. Gravity pulls the water over t he Grand Cascade and the other Lower Gardens fountains. An elevated aqueduct two miles long supplies the Samson Fountain.

http://www.prosperityfountain.com/peterhof-fountains-waterfalls.html

Terry, We will be there in July of 2011. Good thing as I think of a new question almost everyday! Sheal

There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Keep it coming!

Here are some other options to consider as you have lots of time between now and your 2011 cruise. One of my favorite travel books are those from Eyewitness. They have a nice summary of the various historic details and timelines there, plus so many great pictures, maps, building cutaway diagrams, etc. Are their details and depth the best out there? No! Most of us, however, are not needing that much info. We want the basic background and overview. As the saying goes . . . "We want to know what time it is, not how the watch works!" Their visuals really help me pull it all together in an understandable manner.

Some might say Wikipedia is not perfect, but I have found most of their articles to be good and helpful in getting that overview for where we are going to visit, that history, connections to other websites and visuals, etc. I would not rely exclusively on Wikipedia, but it has been helpful and has those nice links to probe deeper on any areas of added interest. I will also pull up past travel articles from the New York Times and some key British newspapers. I'll copy those articles and highlights onto my computer file as I plan and prepare for these upcoming trips. Then I can go back and re-read them, pull up these highlights, before and after our trip.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Joulupukki,

Thanks for the link. I think someone mentioned the lack of pumps so the comment about them being off really confused me. I knew I would learn about them during our actual tour.

Terry,

I feel the same way about Wiki. It is a good place to get a nice overall view of the destination. I know that the info may not be totally accurate but that is ok with me. It just gives me a general idea. I will have to check out the Eyewitness books.

Thanks,

Sheal

As was said already, all the the tour guides from St Petersburg will know exactly when the fountains will be on and off. Most that come to St Petersburg and to Peterhoff want to see the fountains on, so it really would not do much good to go there when the fountains are off.

Here are a few more pix of Peterhof and a short video so you can get a feel of the place

A video from the balcony looking down at the fountains

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster838.flv

Again from the balcony, looking out towards the Sea of Finland. Visitors used to boat up this entrance to the Palace

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe721.jpg

At ground level looking up at Peterhof

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

The main fountain shoots water about 100 feet in the air

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe737.jpg

Walking thru the gardens and still more fountains

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster742.jpg

A fountain where people can just sit around and relax

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe751.jpg

Cheers

Len

Archived