Princess Cays- info needed

red4u2

Hi everyone, i have done a search on this thread but cant seem to find out much info on Princess Cays--Nov will be my first time there and would like to know where a good spot on the beach would be without a rocky bottom, and if there are umbrellas over the chairs? also how is snorkling there?

thank you in advance.

When you get off the tender we normally go the the right, over the bridge. There are several good spots under the trees if you get there early. It is sandy under foot to get into the water.

I have heard that you can go to the left, right to the end, to find good snorkelling.

You can hire a clam shell which is a cover over the seats but we found it to be too hot under them.

Does this pic help?

Like caber, we like to go to the right as it's quieter. There is a bar and BBQ restaurant at the beginning of the beach; loungers and umbrellas etc, but we prefer to go along the beach to the shady trees.

It's not too far to walk in either direction to see what's going on. Not sure about snorkelling, but have a feeling it's at the other side.

If you want to snorkel, walk to the right as you face the water. Near the end of the complex, there is a red pavilion jutting into the water. Enter the water there, swim to the buoy line and follow it to the right. Near the end of the buoy line, you will encounter the reef. Follow the reef back to the red pavilion.

The fish are decently numerous, but as you might expect, most of the coral is gone. Not bad given that it's free if you have your own gear.

SirWired

Hi everyone, i have done a search on this thread but cant seem to find out much info on Princess Cays--Nov will be my first time there and would like to know where a good spot on the beach would be without a rocky bottom, and if there are umbrellas over the chairs? also how is snorkling there?

thank you in advance.

I tend to snorkel by the red roof area as previously mentioned, but also go on down that direction past the buoyed off area and snorkel there as well. Not many people, and I see lots of fish usually.

If you are wanting to be shaded while using the lounge chair, I would just tell you to find trees to get under, as there are lots of areas to find shade.

Mike

thank you in advance.

try looking under the Ports of call- Caribbean -choose Private Islands-found a lot of info on Princess cays there.

Princess does not provide umbrellas for over the chairs, but there are shady spots under the palms if you don't want full sun. The clamshells are great for some, but if it gets hot, they provide very little ventalation and we have found they can be a bit too warm and uncomfortable. A nice shady spot under the trees will give you a nice breeze.

Just make sure to get off the ship as soon as you can as the shady spots often go fast. ;) Enjoy!

thank you so much every one for your very kind responses!! i never even knew that there was a section for private islands!! i will look into that!! again thank you all!!

Beach BEAUTIFUL !!! Sand soft. Do not get a spot too near the incoming boats, depending on the winds you may end up smelling fumes from the tendres. We were close to that at firts and moved further down and it was perfect. Nice snorkeling, just ask once you are there , they will tell you where to go. We were on the beach right side from tenders as you get to shore.

thank you in advance.

It's an older thread, one of the most veiwed on the Princess board, and is still valid today:

"A Princess Cay Mystery"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=269311&highlight=cays+mystery

mt2p15.jpg

I love the Princess Cayes port, because I stay on the ship! Don't get me wrong, the island is beautiful, but I am one of those that would love a cruise with mostly sea days. The first 3 times I got off the ship and used the beach. Last year I stayed on the ship and laid by the pool and watched movies and read. It was very quiet and peaceful. It was wonderful, so that is what I did this year. I had a very relaxing, wonderful day!

We were there a month ago on our first Princess cruise and found Princess Cay to be the best private port we have been in.The fact that they have a sidewalk of pavers the entire length on the beach is super.There was plenty of chairs Some with umbrellas.Large amount of very clean bathrooms.Some local shopping.Although we decided Princess wasn't for us,they have this right.

We didn't get in the water as being from FL.the water was still too cold for us.You will enjoy this stop.

Been to Princess Cays and Half Moon Cay. If you've been to Haf Moon Cay you will be disappointed with Princess Cays.

I think I find wonderfull points with both locations. Different, yes, but each unique and beautiful.

Rule of thumb for snorkeling:

Fish feed off of coral and rocks, and that's where they congregate. So...

Sandy-bottom beaches: You might see a few small needle fish on the surface, but will definitely see other people's feet!! And a lot of sand!

Just to add....

My very favorite private island is definitely Half Moon Cay!!

I only went once to Princess Cays, and actually liked it very much!

Here's my personal order of preference:

1. Half Moon Cay (3 X)

2. Princess Cays (1 X)

3. Great Stirrup Cay (9 X)

4. Coco Cay (1 X)

Yes, I've been to them all.

Reserve the clamshell for 29 bucks before the cruise. Then you get it easier. If you go in the middle rght in front of the eating area you will be in great shape for lunch and line wont be as long for you. Getting there early will out you in the front. Renting watertoys like floats with the wondow for ez snorkeling are by the hour so watch that. The bikes and other water things are near where the tender drops you.

When you get off the tender walk off the bridge where the flags are and go to the hut to show your reservation. The staff will set you up. I wish we had more time there. Fish came out without a water camera!I have attached a picture- hope it loads.

cruise10_003.jpg.06e513069c5675071a64ada9905b62ac.jpg

thanks again!! i think i will pass on the graves...too creepy for me, and to much work to get there!!

No problem. :p

Thought a few may be interested..... it's a short interesting hike for many. just sharing it.

It's a hide and seek thing, because there are a number of old graves, on a beach in paradise. Many, including kids, enjoy the distraction away from the crowds and the BBQ

Oh my gosh!! i cant believe the wealth of info from everyone!! how kind of all of you and the links are wonferful.. now if only someone on the St. John boards would answer on how i found out where i will be docked in St Thomas ill be ready for action!! i kow we are the only ship in port, but dont know how to find out which dock... can anyone help with that???

thank you all again,, six months away and im sooo excited!!

Archived