What are the odds?

TinkyPatz

I'm booked in an interior cabin on the Liberty, sailing September 11, 2010. I'm trying to upgrade to a balcony.

My questions are:

1. Does anybody know how many balconies the Liberty has?

2. If I wait until closer to the sailing, what are the odds that the balconies will be sold out?

3. Should I wait it out or upgrade now?

4. If I upgrade now and then the price drops for a balcony, do I get OBC?

I booked ES and I'm not past final payment date, but I already paid in full.

TIA! :)

I am looking at the sale, that's why I'm so conflicted! The price looks great $669 for a balcony with a free upgrade... but I'm thinking what if it's cheaper once we're getting closer to sailing or what if the upgrade fairy calls and offers me a better deal...

The upgrade fairy won't call if I already have a balcony, right? In any case they would call for a suite?

They would only call to upgrade to a balcony if I have OV or inside?

Decisions, decisions! :o

I am looking at the sale, that's why I'm so conflicted! The price looks great $669 for a balcony with a free upgrade... but I'm thinking what if it's cheaper once we're getting closer to sailing or what if the upgrade fairy calls and offers me a better deal...

The upgrade fairy won't call if I already have a balcony, right? In any case they would call for a suite?

They would only call to upgrade to a balcony if I have OV or inside?

Decisions, decisions! :o

would not count on the upgrade fairy, if you want a balcony....try it! Warning....you may never go back!

If you really want one go ahead and upgrade. If the price drops that

you qualify for, past cruiser, senior, resident etc. Then you can get the

$ back. Or you can upgrade in levels of balcony.

Don't plan on a free upgrade as they are far few between.

would not count on the upgrade fairy, if you want a balcony....try it! Warning....you may never go back!

I have!!! :D

I'm just biting my nails thinking of another inside :rolleyes: (we did it last year) and how great it was when I could hear and see the waves and sit outside drinking coffee in the morning... but our budget lately with this economy has been so strained!

However, this is our anniversary cruise (DBF, 2 years, but we've known each other for like 9) so I'm thinking of upgrading and surprising him when we board VIP. Plus I have reason to think he might propose on this cruise!! I caught him searching for diamond engagement rings on his phone! :eek::D

One last question, if I decide to upgrade, do I have until final payment date to pay or must I pay it all right now?

I'm just biting my nails thinking of another inside :rolleyes: (we did it last year) and how great it was when I could hear and see the waves and sit outside drinking coffee in the morning... but our budget lately with this economy has been so strained!

However, this is our anniversary cruise (DBF, 2 years, but we've known each other for like 9) so I'm thinking of upgrading and surprising him when we board VIP. Plus I have reason to think he might propose on this cruise!! I caught him searching for diamond engagement rings on his phone! :eek::D

One last question, if I decide to upgrade, do I have until final payment date to pay or must I pay it all right now?

final pay.....good luck!

So, I was thinking last night... and I'm confused about something:

If I upgrade to a balcony I would pay for the 8A and get a free upgrade to the 8F, 'cause that's the deal they have for my cruise right now. When checking for price drops in case I can get any OBC, do I get credit if the 8A drops or if the 8F drops?

I don't even know if that made sense... :confused:

And would you guys and gals pay $290 pp to upgrade from a 4B to an 8F?

So, I was thinking last night... and I'm confused about something:

If I upgrade to a balcony I would pay for the 8A and get a free upgrade to the 8F, 'cause that's the deal they have for my cruise right now. When checking for price drops in case I can get any OBC, do I get credit if the 8A drops or if the 8F drops?

I don't even know if that made sense... :confused:

And would you guys and gals pay $290 pp to upgrade from a 4B to an 8F?

All I am saying..is jump all over that 8F...my fav category on the conquest class....it is worth every bit of the $290.00 for that upgrade...but it has to fit in your budget

Well- on one hand how romantic would it be to sit on your balcony and watch the sunset...what a perfect opportunity for your DBF to pop the question??!!

But...if money is tight right now and DBF is looking at rings...just think how much larger diamond you'll get if you don't spend the extra $290 pp...

So- I didn't help at all, did I? :p

If you can afford the extra for the upgrade- go for it! But don't put yourself into debt...you'll have an awesome time regardless of what cabin you're in. And then you'll have something to look forward to when you are in a balcony cabin when you go on your honeymoon...;)

Good luck- have a great time!!!:D

Diana you're right, you didn't help at all!!! :D

I hadn't thought of a bigger diamond! :eek: but he'll have time to save from now until September :o

I'm really dying to go on a balcony... I've had one before but it was with the ex and it was the first cruise so I wasn't having a great time because of my company on the ship, and I barely used the balcony 'cause I don't smoke and I wanted to do EVERYTHING on the ship so I was always out and about.

However on this last cruise with the current bf I did not like my inside at all, I've already seen the shows so I can miss them and wouldn't care... we spent a lot of time in our cabin and it would be fabulous to be able to stare out at the sea while waiting for room service, or not have to hunt DBF down because he stepped out to have a smoke when he could just do it on the balcony!

I'm gonna be crunching numbers tonight! :D

Any info on if I would be looking at 8A or 8F for price drops?

Balconies don't board VIP, only suites and Platinum guests.

Balconies don't board VIP, only suites and Platinum guests.

they don't? Uh-oh! guess I won't surprise him with that...

Is this new? We boarded VIP for our first cruise and we had a balcony :confused:

but our budget lately with this economy has been so strained!

A few things:

1) I think the first comment answers your question.

2) An "anniversary" of 2 years with boyfriend should not come into play. Now if it was honeymoon, first wedding anniversary or whatever, that's different.

3) Guessing about proposal or not... does not come into play.

4) Chances of being upgraded (a freebie) from inside to balcony is pretty remote. Maybe up in category but not in type.

Do what you can afford and nothing more....... I would save the $$'s, pay for some of the excursions or bar tab and call it good.

Obviously, your call.

Any info on if I would be looking at 8A or 8F for price drops?

We just booked a few weeks ago on the Dream using the 8A to 8F upgrade. Yesterday, I noticed the cruise price had dropped and rooms above us had opened up. We called our TA to see if we could get upgraded and get a price drop. We did not get the price drop, but we did get upgraded from Lido deck to Panorama deck.

We are inside of 30 days, so that may have played a part in why we did not get the price drop.

You would have to match the 8F price, not the 8A, for price drops.

We can't even stand the thought of inside or oceanview rooms now that we've had a balcony...to us it's vital to our vacation, but you have to decide if you can afford it!

A few things:

1) I think the first comment answers your question.

2) An "anniversary" of 2 years with boyfriend should not come into play. Now if it was honeymoon, first wedding anniversary or whatever, that's different.

3) Guessing about proposal or not... does not come into play.

4) Chances of being upgraded (a freebie) from inside to balcony is pretty remote. Maybe up in category but not in type.

Do what you can afford and nothing more....... I would save the $$'s, pay for some of the excursions or bar tab and call it good.

Obviously, your call.

Well now, that would be a personal opinion, wouldn't it?

And the info about the proposal, I expect nothing, I was just sharing my excitement with fellow romantics on this board ;)

And I agree with saving the money for other things, $600 *might* just be enough to cover the pics I'm gonna buy! :D

We just booked a few weeks ago on the Dream using the 8A to 8F upgrade. Yesterday, I noticed the cruise price had dropped and rooms above us had opened up. We called our TA to see if we could get upgraded and get a price drop. We did not get the price drop, but we did get upgraded from Lido deck to Panorama deck.

We are inside of 30 days, so that may have played a part in why we did not get the price drop.

Yeah, I'm just gonna wait until it's closer to sailing date... If there's something affordable for us I'm definitely upgrading to a balcony! :)

You would have to match the 8F price, not the 8A, for price drops.

We can't even stand the thought of inside or oceanview rooms now that we've had a balcony...to us it's vital to our vacation, but you have to decide if you can afford it!

Thanks for the info! I think it would be harder to match 8F price...

IMO 650$ for a balcony is as cheap as they come .Be advised once you have a balcony you will have a VERY hard time with anything else .My first one was a FREE upgrade on Costa ...obstructed balcony ...very slightly .We left balcony door open overnight...yes we turned off ac ..We slept like 3 babies to woosh woosh of waves ...WOW .We loved it Now I do not consider anything else .Love early morning coffee .breakfast,sunrises, sunsets .drying my hair reading while others shower ...shall I continue ...

Bon Voyage

Tinky, you MUST come back on these boards after the cruise to tell us if you got that proposal! :D

HAHAHA, well if it happens I will come back with pictures! ;)

Now let's hope DBF doesn't ever find this thread 'cause he knows about CC and knows my screen name but fortunately he's rarely ever on here!

IMO 650$ for a balcony is as cheap as they come .Be advised once you have a balcony you will have a VERY hard time with anything else .My first one was a FREE upgrade on Costa ...obstructed balcony ...very slightly .We left balcony door open overnight...yes we turned off ac ..We slept like 3 babies to woosh woosh of waves ...WOW .We loved it Now I do not consider anything else .Love early morning coffee .breakfast,sunrises, sunsets .drying my hair reading while others shower ...shall I continue ...

Bon Voyage

Uggghh! I KNOW it's a great price! but considering it's almost $600 more that I would have to dish out, I'm just gonna wait it out and see... either way I'm just happy to be on the ship! :D

Uggghh! I KNOW it's a great price! but considering it's almost $600 more that I would have to dish out, I'm just gonna wait it out and see... either way I'm just happy to be on the ship! :D

$600 is a lot of drinks, excursions, pictures etc. Balconies are nice but remember the cabin is no larger you are paying for the extra balcony space only. Is 35-45 SF of balcony worth that much to you? Only you can decide that. No VIP perks with balconies either. If you do decide to take it I would book ES so you can monitor the prices for price drops and save more $. Don't forget the cruise insurance, well worth the $$ in case of a problem.

Archived