Is my flight too late?

Lyssa78

Hello! I am using Southwest Rapid Rewards credits to fly to Seattle for my Alaska cruise on HAL. I got the earliest flight into Seattle on the morning of my cruise. It is going to arrive at SeaTac at 11:55 am and our cruise is supposed to leave at 4pm. We bought the cruise line transfer from the airport to the ship.

My question is, do you think this will be enough time? The problem is, I went online to SWA to see if I could change the flight to an earlier day and now they are completed booked for like a week out for using Rewards. I would have to pay for a one-way flight if I want to go out a day earlier, plus paying for the hotel, etc, so I really need to decide if it's necessary.

Any thoughts would be great, thanks!

Why do people ask these questions AFTER they booked their flights?

No, that's cutting it way too close. If there are weather delays or mechanical delays, you stand a good chance of missing the cruise.

No, that's cutting it way too close. If there are weather delays or mechanical delays, you stand a good chance of missing the cruise.

Sadly, I'd never heard of this board at the time I booked my flight. :( I just found out about it when researching shore excursions.

Sadly, I'd never heard of this board at the time I booked my flight. :( I just found out about it when researching shore excursions.

Hope all goes well for you..We usually fly in the day of a cruise but even I would be worried about this. I think you were wise to get the ship transfers. Hope this helps..just get off that plane ASAP and RUN.. Good luck..will keep my fingers crossed ;)

That's definitely not enough time. You have 4 hours from the time your flight lands until embarkation. Homeland Security requires you to check in 90 minutes prior to setting sail, so now you're down to 2 1/2 hours. Seattle is a very large airport. By the time you get off the plane, get your luggage, find your shuttle and get loaded up on there, you're down to 1 1/2 hours. The cruise port is downtown, and it's about a 30 minute ride in no traffic. Now you're down to a 1 hour cushion of time to spare, and that's if everything goes perfect. Your flight can be delayed. There could be a traffic jam. You're cutting it THISCLOSE to missing your ship. I would recommend changing your ticket, flying in the day before and getting a hotel. You'll have to spend some extra money, but it will be worth not missing your ship.

No need to be so critical..this poster just joined in April and has had under 10 posts...:rolleyes:..

Hello! I am using Southwest Rapid Rewards credits to fly to Seattle for my Alaska cruise on HAL. I got the earliest flight into Seattle on the morning of my cruise. It is going to arrive at SeaTac at 11:55 am and our cruise is supposed to leave at 4pm. We bought the cruise line transfer from the airport to the ship.

My question is, do you think this will be enough time? The problem is, I went online to SWA to see if I could change the flight to an earlier day and now they are completed booked for like a week out for using Rewards. I would have to pay for a one-way flight if I want to go out a day earlier, plus paying for the hotel, etc, so I really need to decide if it's necessary.

Any thoughts would be great, thanks!

Hi Lyssa,

In my opinion, that is cutting it a bit too close for comfort. If you aren't able to change the flight arrangements, I would suggest only doing carry-on luggage. At least that will cut down on the time spent waiting for bags.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, I'm going to get the flight changed one way or another. I think I will keep checking back on SWA for a week or so to see if anything comes open, then maybe turn to priceline to buy the one-ways if I can't get it on SWA.

It's frustrating, I booked this cruise through a very unhelpful travel agent from America's Vacation Center. When I first got the flight, I asked her about the time and she said it would be fine. That was a while back, then I started thinking about it more and wondering if it was too close, which judging from the replies it is. I'm just frustrated the travel agent didn't say anything, but she was just horrible all the way around, not returning calls or emails, etc. All this was after I had booked of course, before she had any money she was extremely helpful. Ugh.

FBGD- We can agree to disagree, but imho, it is a large airport. Any airport that has multiple large terminals where it takes 20 minutes to walk from the gate to the exit is large, and I'm an experienced traveler. Regardless of our opinions, I think we both can agree that it is large enough for an inexperienced traveler to feel overwhelmed, especially if it is their first time there and they are in a rush.

Lyssa- I wish you the best of luck! When is your cruise?

Although it is possible to do a more refined B/C analysis on when to arrive prior to a cruise, one site says:

If you are flying into Seattle for your cruise from Seattle, do not arrive any later that 2:00 pm on the same day of the cruise.
(http://www.alaskacruises.com/booking_faqs.asp?PageID=435#4)

(Note that the majority of cruisers who fly do so on the day that the cruise departs.)

You could have called the cruise line before you booked the flight, but that's a moot point. I think you would probably make it in time, but what happens if you don't? If the next port of call is Vancouver, no biggie (maybe), but if it's in,k say, Ketchikan 2 days later, it's a big risk. Can you just pay for an earlier flight and use the redward points for a future trip?

If you stay with this flight, some suggestions- pack only carry on, this will cut out, going to baggage claim and waiting for your bags. Head direct to a cab. You need to allow 30 minutes for the transit.

This is a very tight timeframe.

I did call HAL and the guy I talked to there since they tell people the window is four hours, don't arrive four hours later than the start of the cruise so that I should be fine. I just still felt unsure and then reading all of the responses made me really want to change the flight. Thanks!

FBGD- We can agree to disagree, but imho, it is a large airport. Any airport that has multiple large terminals where it takes 20 minutes to walk from the gate to the exit is large, and I'm an experienced traveler. Regardless of our opinions, I think we both can agree that it is large enough for an inexperienced traveler to feel overwhelmed, especially if it is their first time there and they are in a rush.

Lyssa- I wish you the best of luck! When is your cruise?

Thanks, it's June 12th. :)

Generally if you have booked the cruise line's transfer and your flight is on time and you get on that bus, you will be OK.

The cruise lines do keep employees in the baggage claim areas to help you if you arrive too late for the transfer bus, but sometimes all they can do is tell you if you have missed the cruise ship's closing time for arrivals.

Look for people holding up small signs with the name of your cruise line and the logo of the company.

Carry on is a really good idea. I've done it. It can be done.

Good luck!

Well, I got the flight changed. The only thing I could find was a nonstop flight on Wed from St. Louis to Seattle. I will just have to get myself down to St. Louis, but that shouldn't be a big deal, it's about 4 hours away. I am finding that these SWA Rapid Rewards credits can be quite tricky to use.

At least this way I will have several days in Seattle to do sightseeing as well. :) Thanks!

Archived