Upgrade questions

There have been a few threads recently on the topic of upgrades, and I realized I had some questions. I tried searching, but it's too broad a question to easily find the answers to. The answers may be helpful to others as well.

I understand you can designate on your reservation that you don't want to be upgraded out of your current cabin assignment. Does this have to be done at the time of booking, or can I have my TA add this?

Some "upgrades" may be to what we would consider to be an undesirable room. For instance, Celebrity Suites on M class ships do not have a balcony, which is important to us. Is there a way to exclude specific cabins or classes from possible upgrades?

Prior to the cruise, if you don't so designate "no upgrades", and Celebrity gives you an upgrade, I assume it's a done deal, or do they call first and ask if you want it? Note that I'm not referring to an upsell call, asking us if we want to change cabins for more money.

What happens if you find out about an upgrade upon embarkation? I would assume it's too late at that point to decline it, since someone else may already be in "your" cabin.

We're currently in an M class aft C1 cabin with a large balcony. From what I've gathered, cruisers that have received an upgrade from there into a suite have not been disappointed, but I'm concerned about getting that Celebrity Suite with no balcony. If it were you, would you stay put, or take a chance on getting an upgrade, and why?

Feedback, as always, is much appreciated!

When I've booked an aft facing M-Class balcony I've had the booking noted "no upgrade accepted" at the time I've booked it, but I'm sure your ta could add it for you afterwards. From aft facing CC to Sky Suite wouldn't be an upgrade to me, nor a Celebrity Suite for the reason you mention. The extra cabin room would be nice in a suite, but I spend a lot of time out on the balcony and the view of the wake is great.

I've never had an upgrade regardless of cabin I've booked so can't answer the question as regards a done deal, but I have been told that Celebrity know how desirable those aft facing cabins are and don't move people from them for that reason. I suppose there is always a chance and there will be someone who has which is why I note the booking anyway.

Phil

Thanks for the response. I'll contact my TA to see if we can add the "no upgrades" provision, and see if there's a way to make it conditional. I saw at least one post from someone who was upgraded from an aft C1. They were apprehensive, but found the Sky Suite to be acceptable. I wondered it that was the reaction of others, as well.

We're leaning towards staying where we are-- a standard cabin is roomy enough for us, the balcony is actually more than what we need, but the aft is a great location. We would typically sail in a standard Veranda cabin, and got the C1 due to a price drop (opted to go with the C1 for the same money), so this might be our only chance (for a while) at it. OTOH, it would be nice to say we've sailed in a suite, so might leave open the possibility. I wanted to see what might possibly happen if we did.

Decisions, decisions!

I was in a C1 aft in December and a Sky Suite in April. The C1 has a great balcony, that wonderful aft view and is sheltered from the wind. The sky suite has a signicantly bigger cabin, a larger, fancier marble bathroom with a nice tub and butler service. There is enough room to have the butler serve dinner in the cabin. OTOH, the side view balcony is smaller than the aft C1. As there was plenty of room on the balcony for two of us, I would probably accept a free upgrade from a C1 to a SS on most itineraries.

I have not yet had a CS, but like the idea of having two rooms. DH gets up early and could have his coffee in the living room. In fact, the butler could deliver coffee or breakfast while I was still in bed. Big windows, mid ship. Hmm, yeah, I'd give up the balcony to try a CS once, but I understand why others might not.

Thanks for your reply, wg6530. I'm till torn, but my thinking is to stay in the C1, and leave open the possibility of a suite for a future cruise. I still would like comments from others who have had experience with upgrades.

Thanks for your reply, wg6530. I'm till torn, but my thinking is to stay in the C1, and leave open the possibility of a suite for a future cruise. I still would like comments from others who have had experience with upgrades.

I had to make the same choice: for $300 did I want to upgrade to a Sky Suite? It took about 15 minutes for me to make up my mind. I was able to book cabin 6145 which sealed the deal. The cabin is bigger, and the balcony is comparable. The only negative to the balcony is that it is not covered. If I were offered the upgrade again, it would have to be to one of the Sky Suites with the larger balconies (6131, 6132, 6145, 6146) or I would not do it.

I say leave your options open as you can always so "no thank you" to the upgrade.

I understand you can designate on your reservation that you don't want to be upgraded out of your current cabin assignment. Does this have to be done at the time of booking, or can I have my TA add this?

Your TA can add this after the time of booking.

Prior to the cruise, if you don't so designate "no upgrades", and Celebrity gives you an upgrade, I assume it's a done deal, or do they call first and ask if you want it? Note that I'm not referring to an upsell call, asking us if we want to change cabins for more money.

In our case, they did not call in advance. We just received a notification that we received an upgrade.

What happens if you find out about an upgrade upon embarkation? I would assume it's too late at that point to decline it, since someone else may already be in "your" cabin.

Correct. Your original cabin will most likely have already been reassigned.

We're currently in an M class aft C1 cabin with a large balcony. From what I've gathered, cruisers that have received an upgrade from there into a suite have not been disappointed, but I'm concerned about getting that Celebrity Suite with no balcony. If it were you, would you stay put, or take a chance on getting an upgrade, and why?

We enjoyed our upgrade from an aft C1 to a suite. I was concerned at first, since we had the best aft C1, but once on board, our suite did not disappoint.

Thom

Dear Celebrity, please feel free to upgrade us at any time! We'll never be able to afford a suite so this will likely be the only way we'd ever get to experience one!

We do love the aft verandas, but I'd still take a suite in a second.

We were given a complimentary upgrade from an Ocean view stateroom to a Concierge Class veranda stateroom on our Millennium cruise last month. We were never notified or asked if we wanted the upgrade; I found out by chance when checking for a price drop about a month prior to the cruise. I guess we would have found out upon check-in, but I wonder what would have happened to our suitcase, since I would have had the wrong tags on it????

I was a little concerned at first as the new stateroom was pretty far aft and I do get seasick at times, but we took a chance and I was fine. We actually did not use the veranda nearly as much as we had thought, so probably will stick to an ocean view in the future and spend the difference in fare in the Martini bar!

Sharon

Again, thanks to everybody for the responses. Since, as I suspected, if you get an upgrade, there's no opportunity for say, "No thanks," and we would still have the problem of possibly getting promoted to a CS against our will. (BTW, atonal1, I was talking about free upgrades, not upsells, where they call you and ask if you'd like to spend $300 more to get a nicer cabin. Those, obviously, you'd always be able to turn down.)

Now I just need to figure out how likely it would be to get an upgrade all the way up to a CS (bad) or if we would most likely get a SS (good), if the Fairius Upgradus should strike, or if it's possible to specify conditions. Otherwise, at this point, I think we'll tell our TA to set us for "No upgrades", and wait for a cruise when a balcony is not as desirable, such as Alaska.

I have never been offered a free upgrade by Celebrity or Azamara or Royal Caribbean. I am elite/diamond/discoverer. I have been called prior to cruising and been asked if would buy an upgrade at a price that was very high. So I am still cruising in an ordinary cabin. No suite for me. But I can't help but wish someday that I may get rewarded for being loyal. I travel a lot and have advanced status on many hotel chains and airlines. I have received upgrades from most of them. I sailed on HAL once and got a free upgrade. Cabin was nice.

I just got an email from my TA, saying Celebrity doesn't ever do upgrades. I told her about tjunmin's comments (thanks, tjunmin). I also called Celebrity and asked them directly. I was told that, yes, they occasionally give free upgrades, and yes, you can request to have a certain class (such as Celebrity Suites) excluded. I asked the TA to contact X and add the comment, "Upgrades ok, but not to Celebrity Suite" to the reservation. I figure if we book C1 often enough, we'll get it most of the time, and will have the fun of getting a suite every once in a while (if ever).

The possiblity of being bumped from a C1 to Celebrity Suite is a bit of a far cry. Unlike most other cabin categories, Celebrity Suites, Royal Suites, and PH suites routinley sail not at capacity. They do not simply bump people up until they have achieved full occupancy in these categories.

We were indeed offered an upgrade from 6145 (S1) to a Celebrity Suite, however, we were called and asked prior to being bumped (we declined, see my other post on this matter). However, I sumrise that we were offered that upgrade simply because someone wanted to book the PH suite with the optional second bedroom.

On our 4 cruises with X, we have never been bumped. It simply does not happen on X, unless the odd and rare occasion- mostly from what I have gathered- needing a handicap room, filling in extra bedrooms for the PH suite, etc.

Don't worry, there are quite a few Sky Suite passengers who would be up for the bump before they (even if they would consider it) would bump a Cclass passenger.

The possiblity of being bumped from a C1 to Celebrity Suite is a bit of a far cry. Unlike most other cabin categories, Celebrity Suites, Royal Suites, and PH suites routinley sail not at capacity. They do not simply bump people up until they have achieved full occupancy in these categories.

Thanks, I would consider it unlikely to be moved from a C1 to a CS, but as long as the possibility existed, it influenced our decision to accept a possible upgrade or to say, "No upgrades, please, we'll stay where we are." I'm confused, though-- CS, RS, PH routinely sail not at capacity? They won't offer an upgrade to these until they're sold out? I thought the theory behind an upgrade is so they can clear out a cabin they think they can sell by moving someone from that cabin to a cabin they think will otherwise go vacant, as no one wants to pay the higher cost. And if they wait until they're sold out, where are they going to bump someone to?

I read your post, and it's what got me thinking about this subject (didn't want to hijack your thread). A couple of questions-- did they call you to ask if you would like to take a CS instead of the 6145 SS for the same price, or did they want you to pay a bit more? And had you previously indicated that you did not want an upgrade? I've seen a number of posts from people that found out they had been upgraded when they checked their online reservation, or when they showed up at the dock. My impression was that they never call, unless it's an upsell. Am I mistaken?

Thanks, I would consider it unlikely to be moved from a C1 to a CS, but as long as the possibility existed, it influenced our decision to accept a possible upgrade or to say, "No upgrades, please, we'll stay where we are." I'm confused, though-- CS, RS, PH routinely sail not at capacity? They won't offer an upgrade to these until they're sold out? I thought the theory behind an upgrade is so they can clear out a cabin they think they can sell by moving someone from that cabin to a cabin they think will otherwise go vacant, as no one wants to pay the higher cost. And if they wait until they're sold out, where are they going to bump someone to?

I read your post, and it's what got me thinking about this subject (didn't want to hijack your thread). A couple of questions-- did they call you to ask if you would like to take a CS instead of the 6145 SS for the same price, or did they want you to pay a bit more? And had you previously indicated that you did not want an upgrade? I've seen a number of posts from people that found out they had been upgraded when they checked their online reservation, or when they showed up at the dock. My impression was that they never call, unless it's an upsell. Am I mistaken?

Hello!!

No we never requested to not be available for upgrades. We also were offered the upgrade free of charge. I think it had much more to do with the fact that 6145 is attached to the PH rather than getting an actual upgrade if you know what I mean. I got the feeling that either 6145 or 6146 would get the upgrade, however, they wanted to call first seeing as how they are high profile rooms. To be honest I would be OUTRAGED if they upgraded me without notice.

Hello!!

No we never requested to not be available for upgrades. We also were offered the upgrade free of charge. I think it had much more to do with the fact that 6145 is attached to the PH rather than getting an actual upgrade if you know what I mean. I got the feeling that either 6145 or 6146 would get the upgrade, however, they wanted to call first seeing as how they are high profile rooms. To be honest I would be OUTRAGED if they upgraded me without notice.

Me too, at least to the CS for the same reasons you had. Good decision, BTW. Thanks again!

I just want to add my 2 cents worth to the thread as there seems to be a lot of negative comments about the CSs. We have never sailed in one but did attend a reception in one with a bunch of CCers that we met at the sailaway. The ONLY reason not to take a CS would be the lack of a balcony. The cabin is fabulous with the half-moon floor to ceiling glass windows plus a choice location mid-ship. The space is fantastic and very well laid out.

I would trade our aft cabin on the Connie in February, 2010, in a heartbeat and might even cough a (very) few bucks to do so! I should note that inspite all of our cruises on Celebrity we have never been offered an upgrade so the whole discussion might be moot.

Just my opinion and we LOVE the aft cabins and even the sweet 16's which are a real bargain.

I just want to add my 2 cents worth to the thread as there seems to be a lot of negative comments about the CSs. We have never sailed in one but did attend a reception in one with a bunch of CCers that we met at the sailaway. The ONLY reason not to take a CS would be the lack of a balcony. The cabin is fabulous with the half-moon floor to ceiling glass windows plus a choice location mid-ship. The space is fantastic and very well laid out.

I would trade our aft cabin on the Connie in February, 2010, in a heartbeat and might even cough a (very) few bucks to do so! I should note that inspite all of our cruises on Celebrity we have never been offered an upgrade so the whole discussion might be moot.

Just my opinion and we LOVE the aft cabins and even the sweet 16's which are a real bargain.

I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make/defend. The whole discussion and "issue" is the same as you mentioned- the lack of balcony. IMO the room can be painted with gold, but If it did not have a balcony I would render is useless. - The only negative comments here about the CS is the lack of balcony, not sure where you have seen "a lot of negative comments" in respect to other amenities of the CS.

Thanks for the 2 cents worth! As rothger said, I have nothing against the CS except the lack of a balcony. It's a deal-breaker for DW if she doesn't get her balcony-- if it were the PH but without a balcony, she'd say, "No thanks, no way". I'd like to be in a CS someday, but I think we'll save it (or the possibility of it) for a cold weather cruise, where we wouldn't be able to use it much, anyway.

Archived