Oil spill spreading to east FL. Is cruising going to be affected?

S.E.

UF expert says oil spill could spread to east coast of Florida. What I am beginning to wonder is if this could affect upcoming cruises out of FtLauderdale? What are your thoughts?

I have an upcoming cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. :eek:

From the article:

The Gulf Stream runs up the eastern coast of Florida. Sheng said he believes it is entirely possible, even probable, that this will happen, thus impacting the beaches from Miami to Jacksonville. The Loop Current is about 35 miles south of the slick, which currently is 125 miles wide and 40 miles long.

“I would say the east coast of Florida has the higher probability (of being impacted by the oil spill),” said Sheng, adding his opinion is based on NOAA's ocean current forecast and wind direction.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100430/ARTICLES/100439956?Title=Expert-Florida-East-Coast-could-get-the-brunt

I would say unlikely to affect the east coast of Florida cruising.... it hasnt yet affected out of New Orleans or Mobile or even the west coast of Florida cruising... why not post to a ongoing thread and follow another thread on the subject and see when/if it affects closer areas, before worrying about far away areas.

Ugghh, I've been hit by the "There's a previous thread and you should have known that and posted there" police. Well, I was only curious, and didn't see a post about this.

smiliegroan.gif

sorry, to react...I was just talking about oil spill threads in general...not specific ones about the east coast... I was stating my opinion that to worry about far away ports when we dont know about close in ports.. like I said nevermind.

Let me state this another way, IF the OP is really worried about a east coast cruise out of Florida, to me they would want to follow theads discussing the oil spill and how it might affect ports closer to the oil spill to see what might happen, so they can know the possibilities. I was applying what to me is logic, that what Carnival does for say New Orleans or mobile, if it affected far flung ports, that would be what to expect...so if it were me, I would be following those threads to see how Carnival might handle things.

This oil spill is serious & not only will impact cruises in the Gulf & possibly Florida ;but is more serious to the Nations Economy & Jobs .From what I have read it could take up to 90 days to cap that oil well . This type of thing should never have happened if our government had the right regulations in place . Sorry but ,I truely blame Washington for their over sights of the oil industry .JMVHO

I was also wondering how this would affect the ports but hadn't given much thought to Fl ports. If currents push it that way the financial and enviromental impact of this could be much wider spread than expected. Port cities rely on cruiser income as a big part of their economy, add to that the fisheries etc and it's going to get bad for a lot of families.

The oil spill is no where near the east coast of Florida it's in the gulf of Mexico off of Louisiana. Why all the hummin back n forth?

It depends on the gulf stream and other factors where this will go. It may not be on the east coast yet but this disaster is still unfolding. I can't post a link now but there is a story over on Yahoo that explains it.

The oil spill is no where near the east coast of Florida it's in the gulf of Mexico off of Louisiana. Why all the hummin back n forth?

Could have possibly been stated better but the gist of inquiry is the oil spill is moving east to the Florida coast, not to the east coast of Florida. Mississippi, Alabama and the Panhandle of Florida are all in danger at the moment. It is a somewhat fair assumption that the rest of the gulf coast of Florida will come after that.

It depends on the gulf stream and other factors where this will go. It may not be on the east coast yet but this disaster is still unfolding. I can't post a link now but there is a story over on Yahoo that explains it.

Yup. I heard that a University of Florida oceanographic engineer saying that the east coast of Florida is at greater risk than the Gulf Coast side. Something about a loop current.

Maybe we would be better off in the stone age, at least we would not have this type of disaster! And yes, there is a chance that some cruises will be affected.

Well if you like cruising, I don't think you would be better off. The last time I checked, there were no cruise ships in the stone age.:D

Uhm, you are up north right???? I guess you aren't smelling the oil rig disaster up there. The smell of the oil was at one point was within the noses of all way down south of Florida. It depends on the wind. It is coming here. The OP posted a possibility. It is possible. Right now there is no way of stopping this.

I think that the FL tourist industry is doomed in the gulf since nothing is stopping this and possibly the east coast according to DEP's warnings. Maybe I am being a downer on the hopes of cruisers/vacationers regardless of how many threads. Mississippi, Louisiana and probably Fl is all doomed. No more fresh fish for local restaurants, no more swimming along the coast lines, no more work for the fisherman, and no more just fishing off the coast for fun. The list goes on. I am just mentioning fun and the livelihood of people here. Wildlife gone also.

I would be the first person to promote a vacation FL to help our economy, but not now. I personally would not book a vacation along the gulf coast right now a year in advance. This is IMO only.

If you have Face book, you can check the Horizon Deerwater response page for updates.

We are on the triumph for July 24 Nola to Bahamas and are making a plan b.

If I booked an early saver, can I cancel? I can't remember (my dad died 2 weeks ago and so I'm scatter brained at the moment). Thanks.

I have heard about a forming tropical depression in the carribean and now the oil stuff. I am booked for August on the Dream. I am trying to get insurance but it won't cover the oil spill cause it already happened and it won't cover a hurricane unless the whole cruise is cancelled (I was told I would have to make it to a different port if carnival changes ports. Not possible if a hurricane is flying across FLA. I think they close the highway?). Now what is a girl to do?

Hi everyone, I was completing my fun pass info and noticed a travel advisory on the top of the page. It discusses an upcoming (may 3) cruise out of mobile. Basic info is to keep checking site. They (Carnival) are not forseeing any problems but to check in case.

Charlene

If you have Face book, you can check the Horizon Deerwater response page for updates.

We are on the triumph for July 24 Nola to Bahamas and are making a plan b.

If I booked an early saver, can I cancel? I can't remember (my dad died 2 weeks ago and so I'm scatter brained at the moment). Thanks.

I dont know where the thread is but Carnival changed the policy very recently and if they change ports due to nothing to do with them, you cant cancel. The policy used to be if they changed the ports you had 24 hours to cancel. The policy should be linked on the front page of carnival, if you need it Im sure I could find it. Im going out of NOLA May 8th, so our roll call is watching this closely too. Unless the cruise is cancelled (unlikely), we are going with the flow and not worrying.

I have heard about a forming tropical depression in the carribean and now the oil stuff. I am booked for August on the Dream. I am trying to get insurance but it won't cover the oil spill cause it already happened and it won't cover a hurricane unless the whole cruise is cancelled (I was told I would have to make it to a different port if carnival changes ports. Not possible if a hurricane is flying across FLA. I think they close the highway?). Now what is a girl to do?

You are many moons away from your cruise to be worried about a storm, but so am I when I booked during this season. I always worry so you are no different than me. I have seen highways close for short periods during a hurricane due to a water problem but that is so unlikely and highly unpredictable. From what I read, insurance is the way to go. I have never had any personally but I know I roll the dice.

We're cruising on Glory two weeks from tomorrow, and you can bet that I will be keeping an eye on this. Our ports of call are supposed to be GCI, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan, and if Carnival chooses to divert to either a Southern or Eastern itinerary, you can bet that we will not be too upset with the changes!

We are sailing on a 7 day on the Fantasy May 8th.

If they want to just sit in Mobile for 7 days....I don't care...as long as I get on that ship!!!! (how badly do I need a cruise.....)

We are sailing on a 7 day on the Fantasy May 8th.

If they want to just sit in Mobile for 7 days....I don't care...as long as I get on that ship!!!! (how badly do I need a cruise.....)

Last Fantasy in Mobile before the move to Charleston?

Archived