Oil spill spreading to east FL. Is cruising going to be affected?

S.E.

Last Fantasy in Mobile before the move to Charleston?

Yes....it is the last run. The Fantasy leaves around noon on the 15th and the Elation comes in that afternoon from their 15 day run through the Panama Canal.

Noticed this today... have friends on that cruise. :eek:

Travel Advisory

Port of Mobile Update April 30, 2010 - 6:00 PM

We are closely monitoring the situation with the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and the potential impact to our operation in the Port of Mobile.

We will continue to monitor this situation over the weekend to assess if there will be any disruption to the Carnival Fantasy cruise departing on Monday, May 3. At this point in time, we are expecting the Port of Mobile to remain open and the cruise to operate normally.

Guests sailing on the May 3 cruise can check back here and we will provide an update if any new information becomes available. In the meantime, we are looking forward to welcoming our guests aboard the Carnival Fantasy on Monday.

Okay, I'm not new to cruising, but I don't know much about ports and maritime rules and what not. So, I'm going to ask a question..

How would oil affect crusing? Would they close the port if it came to shore? Do the ships have to avoid the oil for environmental reasons? I'm I making sense in my questions?

And yes, this is a very bad thing for people who make their paychecks off of the ocean.

Okay, I'm not new to cruising, but I don't know much about ports and maritime rules and what not. So, I'm going to ask a question..

How would oil affect crusing? Would they close the port if it came to shore? Do the ships have to avoid the oil for environmental reasons? I'm I making sense in my questions?

And yes, this is a very bad thing for people who make their paychecks off of the ocean.

Last year the river caught on fire, and they closed the river and Fantasy moved to go out of Mobile... so it could happen. Right now they are telling ships to slow down and not go thru the deep oil .. though how a ship can see where the deep oil patches are vs lighter oil patches when it comes in at night to the mouth I dont know. Right now traffic is slowed is all coming into NO.

So, far Carnival has only said they are monitoring the situation for the ship out of Mobile on Monday. Its the next ship out ... which says absolutely nothing, so not sure why Iv seen 5 posts with people copying a travel advisatory that says we are monitoring the situation, when means nothing except that ships are still going out?, but ships are slowed but still moving.

"Well if you like cruising, I don't think you would be better off. The last time I checked, there were no cruise ships in the stone age.".......JerseyBoy

I meant that back in the Stone age, oil was not necessary, life was simple, no pollution risks! Maybe a cruise in a hollowed out log!

I would hope if the cruise ships hinder the clean up efforts or make it worse by tracking it further out to sea that they close down all affected ports until it's safe to reopen them. Yes many will have their vacations interupted but at this point I think that is a small price to pay. JMO

I would hope if the cruise ships hinder the clean up efforts or make it worse by tracking it further out to sea that they close down all affected ports until it's safe to reopen them. Yes many will have their vacations interupted but at this point I think that is a small price to pay. JMO

Cruise ships are such a small part of the ships going up and down the river, mostly for delivery, that to say they should stop cruise ships without mentioning all the many other ships ... dont get your viewpoint?? :confused: how could cruise ships track it elsewhere more than all the other ships?

Its the next ship out ... which says absolutely nothing, so not sure why Iv seen 5 posts with people copying a travel advisatory that says we are monitoring the situation, when means nothing except that ships are still going out?, but ships are slowed but still moving.

Probably because they haven't seen the advisory before and want to let people know the action Carnival is taking. Not everyone reads every post, so sometimes it is nice to have the same info in different posts.

Or, is everyone required to perform a search on every topic they are interested in before posting on here?

You need to lighten up a tad. Maybe a vacation?? :p

Cruise ships are such a small part of the ships going up and down the river, mostly for delivery, that to say they should stop cruise ships without mentioning all the many other ships ... dont get your viewpoint?? :confused: how could cruise ships track it elsewhere more than all the other ships?

Cruise ships are what this board is about, that is why they "just" mentioned cruise ships.

The cruise ships sure can churn up the waters. I could see how they could be told to halt operations for awhile or change ports.

I hope it isn't as bad as what they are predicting. That has been known to happen.

God I hope not. Although I think it will definitely affect some sailings, while other sailings nearby would have to make very large detours around the area affecting... Can you say higher oil prices, and $9 a day coming back if not more ?

UF expert says oil spill could spread to east coast of Florida. What I am beginning to wonder is if this could affect upcoming cruises out of FtLauderdale? What are your thoughts?

I have an upcoming cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. :eek:

From the article:

The Gulf Stream runs up the eastern coast of Florida. Sheng said he believes it is entirely possible, even probable, that this will happen, thus impacting the beaches from Miami to Jacksonville. The Loop Current is about 35 miles south of the slick, which currently is 125 miles wide and 40 miles long.

“I would say the east coast of Florida has the higher probability (of being impacted by the oil spill),” said Sheng, adding his opinion is based on NOAA's ocean current forecast and wind direction.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100430/ARTICLES/100439956?Title=Expert-Florida-East-Coast-could-get-the-brunt

God I hope not. Although I think it will definitely affect some sailings, while other sailings nearby would have to make very large detours around the area affecting... Can you say higher oil prices, and $9 a day coming back if not more ?

I have been prepaying $105/month for my gas for a couple years. I just got my new yearly adjustment. It is now $285 a month. :eek: If this causes it to rise more, I am going to be hurting.

Cruise ships are what this board is about, that is why they "just" mentioned cruise ships.

if they meant ALL ships, then the poster would have said I hope they close the port, rather than track the oil further.

my opinion again of course.

Carnival has posted that the May 3rd cruise of Fantasy looks good to go.

"Well if you like cruising, I don't think you would be better off. The last time I checked, there were no cruise ships in the stone age.".......JerseyBoy

I meant that back in the Stone age, oil was not necessary, life was simple, no pollution risks! Maybe a cruise in a hollowed out log!

I understand....I was just joking around. In fact there are many times that I long for a return to a simpler life. Unfortunately, our dependence on oil will not go away anytime soon and the alternative energy sources that are available today are not up to the challenge of powering the world IMO. This oil spill sucks, but I still believe we must use whatever natural resources we have even if they pose such a risk.

Seriously? I can't believe how people pick apart posts here. Yes I mentioned cruise ships because that is what the board and post is about will they close the cruise port down if it gets worse, which I said yes I hope they do. Didn't realize I needed to specify each individual ship and how it may effect the situation, figured that was a given. Sorry :rolleyes:

Seriously? I can't believe how people pick apart posts here. Yes I mentioned cruise ships because that is what the board and post is about will they close the cruise port down if it gets worse, which I said yes I hope they do. Didn't realize I needed to specify each individual ship and how it may effect the situation, figured that was a given. Sorry :rolleyes:

I dont think anyone was asking about individual ships. My concern is the problem seems to be the bad weather, 7 foot waves, not the cruise ships why they are having issues. Its thoughts like ok, lets close the ports, lets stop drilling that worry me. You stated your opinion, and Im stating mine that I hope that doesnt happen. Tracking oil is not the biggest worry right now. (again my opinion) even if it is yours.

Then of course there are all the small islands and santuarys, that again the cruise ships aren't affecting ...and closing the ports wouldnt help.

I just don't think that is the answer, that's all. Anything with political overtones, I guess will spark disagreement. Again I for one dont care which ships you meant.

Did I say closing a port was the biggest issue being faced right now? No I am responding to the OP. I don't go into a post to create drama and track it off in another direct I try to stick to what is being discussed by the OP. In this case that is how this oil spill will affect cruises out of ports. There are far worse consequences but that is not what this thread is about and it has nothing to do with politics so no political overtones. Cruising, oil spill and ports. No reason to turn it into anything else.

Here is something to keep our eyes on, and hope for the best:

MIAMI, May 4 (Reuters) - Crude from the massive Gulf of Mexico oil spill could eventually slosh ashore on Miami Beach or North Carolina's barrier islands, if it connects with a powerful sea current, an oceanographer said on Tuesday.

Robert Weisberg, a physical oceanographer at the University of South Florida, told a conference call the so-called Loop Current that sweeps around the Gulf was poised to connect with the spreading oil slick.

Once "entrainment" occurs, he said, the oil would be pulled quickly south along Florida's Gulf coast and out into the Florida Straits, between the United States and Cuba.

"Exactly when the oil will enter the Loop Current at the surface is unknown but it appears to be imminent," Weisberg said, referring to the prevailing current in the Gulf.

"It could be days or it could be longer but it looks like it's going to happen, and it looks like it's going to happen now sooner than later," he said.

However, depending on local winds, Florida's southwest beaches and the Florida Keys, along with coral reefs and the fragile ecosystem of the Everglades, could be spared from the oil slick, Weisberg said.

That is because ocean circulation models show it heading out to sea, past the Dry Tortugas islands, before it is caught up in the Gulf Stream and makes its way up the U.S. East Coast, he said.

"Once it's at the entrance to the Florida Straits it's only another week or so before it could be in the vicinity of Miami or Palm Beach and one more week or so until it could be as far north as Cape Hatteras," Weisberg said.

Asked about the possibility of the oil entering the Loop Current, a spokesperson for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said the agency had no immediate forecast of this.

"As far as the Florida Loop Current (goes), our predictions go to 72 hours out and right now the predictions are not (for) an effect on Florida at this moment," she said.

Weisberg said whether or not the oil got into shallow water on its possible ocean journey would be totally dependent on winds.

"Whether or not the oil makes landfall anywhere will depend on what the winds are doing at that particular point in time ... It's likely that there could be oil on the beaches in Miami but we really can't say for sure right now." (Editing by Pascal Fletcher)

Link

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking our first cruise in 3 weeks out of Miami to Key West, Nassau and then Coco Cay. Has anyone heard anything about this area or what might happen with the oil spill? I wonder if they might cancel or just change course? Thanks! :eek:

Archived