BV a Good Deal for Canadian booze smugglers...

This will be our 5th cruse (3rd with Carnival). We living in glorious London, Ontario Canada.... home of warm sunny weather Mon-Fri and then raining/snowy weather Sat and Sun (or at least that is the way it has been so far this "spring"). Canada rocks, except it's weather!

On all our cruises, I have smuggled a bottle or two (maybe three!) of booze in our checked luggage. Everytime, there was not a problem... delivered without a problem and enjoyed thoroughly! But each and every time, I spent the first 4 or 5 hours of my cruise paranoid that we would be "caught" and potentially tossed off the boat (which I doubt would ever happen, but logic doesn't always have a place in the paranoid brain!!).

This year, I discovered that Bon Voyage delivers liquor to your stateroom for a greatly reduced price (in comparison to the cruise bars, at least!). THIS TIME, I ordered us 3 1litre bottles for $39.50-42.50 US (taxes in) each. Now I know this is expensive for those south of the Canadian border (and likley twice the price from the duty free shop), but considering you cannot get a 1litre bottle of booze in Canada (Ontario, at least), or less than $35 and the fact that the US/CAN exchange is damn near at par, it was worth it for me to pay the BonVoyage prices (which were pretty close to the Ontario prices I am use to for booze).

Don't get me wrong... I have NOTHING against smuggling... but this time, I am happy to pay $5-7 more per litre than I am use to for my booze to avoid the worries that first day on the boat!

Perhaps there are some other Canadian's out there with upcoming cruises that might not want to pay Carnival's outragous prices for booze once on the ship and like me was not aware that their BonVoyage prices for booze was so close to what we are already use to paying. I wish I would have known this the past couple years!

Carnival allows a reasonable amount of soda (we brought on 18 cans in carry on last cruise) - so I can't imagine they would have a problem with Tonic water ... I am not sure about lime, as it is problematic crossing the border with some fruit. Maybe you were being coy... not sure:confused:

This time I will be proudly be bringing a flask and whipping it out anytime I like - no more hidding in the stateroom drinking for me,... HAHA:D

I'm with you. I guess I would rather pay a little bit extra for the convenience and peace of mind.

BTW, I like vodka and tonic. Is it OK to bring tonic water on-board? How about lime?

I'm with you. I guess I would rather pay a little bit extra for the convenience and peace of mind.

BTW, I like vodka and tonic. Is it OK to bring tonic water on-board? How about lime?

It says 12 sodas ... doesnt say which size, tonic water would count as soda. I would bring lime packets, that are sealed. It probably is against customs to bring fresh fruit, but Im not sure. You cant bring on fresh flowers, and you cant bring fresh fruit off the ship in ports or when you get home. I would guess you could smuggle limes, but it might be against the law. Some kind of agricultural thing about fruit bugs spreading to other countries. You cant even bring a drink with fresh fruit off the ship in ports.

Hi InEEdofAcruise! From another Canadian's point of view, I am planning to buy a bottle of my favorite " beverage " through Bon Voyage. As you say, since our dollar is just about at par, it makes good sense.

I have in the past, bought a bottle in my departure port precruise, and then packed it well cushioned in my checked baggage before giving it to the porters. Well these, days with the reports of booze being confiscated, it would break my heart to lose it, only to have it returned as I debark the ship. You cant take it back home in your carryon on a flight, and I wouldnt chance packing it in my checked airline baggage. So basically it would be a loss.

Bon Voyage for me at least as long as our dollar is close to or at par works for me. Also you dont have to lug the thing all over the place and it would be convenietly delivered to your stateroom!:D Have a great cruise!

Thanks for posting. Alcohol tax is different state to state, if it was $5/liter more I'd go the BV route. But in my state I can find the big name brands 1.75l anything around $25-$30. So it could be like $50 more for me and that's $50 I can spend on smuggled alcohol! I've always wondered how late you can call BV, eg if you booze gets confiscated if you can order from BV on your cell phone...lol

Perhaps you could just order limes from room service?

Good idea! Didn't know one could order lime from room service...

I know the policy about taking soda on-board, but I was not sure if they count drink mixer like tonic water as soda or not.

Thanks!

How do you order liquor from the website to be delivered to your room, and when and how much will they deliver.:o

You can't order from the website.

As has been mentioned elsewhere (search the board), you must CALL the Bon Voyage department on the telephone and place your order.

Your order should be in your stateroom when you embark, although if in Texas or Alabama the laws are such that your order will be delivered the next day while at sea.

I'm in Ontario as well, about one hour west of you InEED, and we've decided to purchase from BV as well - at least for DHs whiskey - they don't offer anything that I usually drink! We were going to order a case of beer but that is ridiculously priced through BV ($120/24 or something close to that) so will still have to still try and smuggle on my alcohol of choice, although I would much rather go without the stress of wondering whether it will make it to my cabin. Wish they would offer some flavoured vodka, Sourpuss or Kaluha!

This will be our 5th cruse (3rd with Carnival). We living in glorious London, Ontario Canada.... home of warm sunny weather Mon-Fri and then raining/snowy weather Sat and Sun (or at least that is the way it has been so far this "spring"). Canada rocks, except it's weather!

On all our cruises, I have smuggled a bottle or two (maybe three!) of booze in our checked luggage. Everytime, there was not a problem... delivered without a problem and enjoyed thoroughly! But each and every time, I spent the first 4 or 5 hours of my cruise paranoid that we would be "caught" and potentially tossed off the boat (which I doubt would ever happen, but logic doesn't always have a place in the paranoid brain!!).

This year, I discovered that Bon Voyage delivers liquor to your stateroom for a greatly reduced price (in comparison to the cruise bars, at least!). THIS TIME, I ordered us 3 1litre bottles for $39.50-42.50 US (taxes in) each. Now I know this is expensive for those south of the Canadian border (and likley twice the price from the duty free shop), but considering you cannot get a 1litre bottle of booze in Canada (Ontario, at least), or less than $35 and the fact that the US/CAN exchange is damn near at par, it was worth it for me to pay the BonVoyage prices (which were pretty close to the Ontario prices I am use to for booze).

Don't get me wrong... I have NOTHING against smuggling... but this time, I am happy to pay $5-7 more per litre than I am use to for my booze to avoid the worries that first day on the boat!

Perhaps there are some other Canadian's out there with upcoming cruises that might not want to pay Carnival's outragous prices for booze once on the ship and like me was not aware that their BonVoyage prices for booze was so close to what we are already use to paying. I wish I would have known this the past couple years!

We just got of the Dream, May 1, and ordered a bottle of Rum from BV, it was $40.00 and should have been 750 ml, it was 1.4 L the size used in the bars, I am not sure if they were just out of the size we ordered, or what, but was great. until we looked in the gift shop, and they were selling the same size bottle for $29.95 reg price, and $11 95 sale price.

We just got of the Dream, May 1, and ordered a bottle of Rum from BV, it was $40.00 and should have been 750 ml, it was 1.4 L the size used in the bars, I am not sure if they were just out of the size we ordered, or what, but was great. until we looked in the gift shop, and they were selling the same size bottle for $29.95 reg price, and $11 95 sale price.

Ah yes, the price of the convenience of having the bottle available before the final night of the cruise! :)

I hate it that bottles which are $15/liter here are $40+/liter through BV, but I just chalk up the extra $25/bottle to the price of peace of mind not worrying if they'll make it aboard.

When I ordered from BV they said the bottles are 1 liter -- were you expecting something to be 750ml? Pretty cool that you got a 1.4L bottle. (note, I've not sailed yet so don't know what my BV order will show up in terms of size, just what they told me)

Archived