2010 Last Year Royal Caribbean Will Come to Norfolk, VA

bgarbus

2010 Last Year Royal Caribbean Will Come to Norfolk, VA

I just confirmed that 2010 will be the last year Royal Caribbean will be coming to Norfolk, VA. There are a number of factors and assumptions; one being Baltimore and other ports are closer to major cities making it easier for passengers to book cruises from those ports.

What has prompted me to post this information is, if you have cruised from Norfolk in the last 2 years you know the new facility is absolutely amazing. It is the only facility in the United States ever built from the ground up as a cruise facility. Recently it was rated #2 debarkation port in the world behind Venice Italy.

With the recent news from Royal Caribbean, this only leaves a handful of Carnival repositioning cruises departing from Norfolk; which far underutilizes this amazing port facility.

I am asking all of you to write the Cruise lines and ask them to reconsider Norfolk, VA as a debarkation port. If enough of us send email and letters they might just start to listen to what we already know as past cruisers. Many of us like leaving from a nice hassle free port, which Norfolk is – hands down.

The markets are getting better and the cruise lines are showing net gains this past quarter – now is the time to apply pressure.

Below are several links to the cruise lines and more information about Cruise Norfolk and the amazing facility. At this point I think this is up to us – to put the pressure on the cruise lines to move more ships to Norfolk. Will you take a few minutes to help?

While we may not be able to change ‘the bottom-line’ reasons the port is doing poorly (unable to fill ships) we can express to the cruise lines at very least how much we all enjoy the port and would like to see ships there in the future.

Thanks Everyone!

Cruise Norfolk Main Website:

http://cruisenorfolk.org/

Norfolk Cruise Port Facility:

http://www.halfmoone.org/

Accolades:

http://cruisenorfolk.org/php-bin/news/showArticle.php?id=25

Carnival Cruise Line (President’s email address):

gcahill@carnival.com

Carnival Cruise Lines

3655 NW 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178

Carnival Corporation

Beth Roberts (broberts@carnival.com)

Vice President Investor Relations

Carnival Place

MSCD925N

3655 N.W. 87 Avenue

Miami, Florida 33178-2428

Main Telephone: 305-599-2600

IR Department: 305-406-5539

Royal Caribbean & Celebrity Cruise Line’s Contact Info:

Richard D. Fain

Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and Director

Primary IR Contact

Ian M. Bailey Jr.

VP, Investor Relations

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Phone: (305) 982- 2625

Fax: (305) 539-6400

E-mail:investorrelations@rccl.com

Holland America’s Contact Info:

Stein Kruse

President and Chief Executive Officer

Holland America Line

300 Elliott Ave. West

Seattle, WA 98119

Phone: 1-206-281-3535

Fax: 1-206-281-7110

Email Us

Norwegian Cruise Line’s Contact Info:

Roberto Martinoli

President and Chief Operating Officer

AnneMarie Mathews

Director of Public Relations

Public Relations Department

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami, FL 33126

305-436-4713

publicrelations@ncl.com

As a Virginia native, I truly share your passion to keep ships sailing from Norfolk. I also feel the new terminal is not being utilized to its full potential. Unfortunately, we have too much competition on the east coast to be major contenders in the cruise line wars. I gave up this battle last year.

One thing I learned in all of this is that it is still cheaper for us to fly to FL or NY, or even CA and cruise than it is from Norfolk.

As a Virginia native, I truly share your passion to keep ships sailing from Norfolk. I also feel the new terminal is not being utilized to its full potential. Unfortunately, we have too much competition on the east coast to be major contenders in the cruise line wars. I gave up this battle last year.

One thing I learned in all of this is that it is still cheaper for us to fly to FL or NY, or even CA and cruise than it is from Norfolk.

Thats really odd, we have done the same cost analysis and always found the cost-per-day (factoring in cruise + air, transportation, etc) to me much cheaper to just leave Norfolk. Especially now with airfare rates going up so high. We also always book verandas, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not...:confused:

Lets hope things get better and we don't loose Norfolk as a port altogether... :(

The location of Norfolk as a cruise port and being able to sail out of such an interesting area as Hampton Roads would be of great interest to me. However, there is one drawback that may be affecting the cruise lines being interested in scheduling many ships in the city. Parking. Norfolk, like Baltimore, Jacksonville, and others, are desireable as homeports for those who wish to drive to the port. To have a parking facility located as far away as is shown on a map that was linked to the original post is a definite negative for me. Upon returning from the cruise, the hassle of having to deal with luggage and a shuttle to the parking area does not sound very inviting.

I am quite familiar with downtown Norfolk and recall when ships began arriving at the Nauticus pier that a garage across the street from Nauticus was available for passengers wishing to park. Is that option no longer available?

The location of Norfolk as a cruise port and being able to sail out of such an interesting area as Hampton Roads would be of great interest to me. However, there is one drawback that may be affecting the cruise lines being interested in scheduling many ships in the city. Parking. Norfolk, like Baltimore, Jacksonville, and others, are desireable as homeports for those who wish to drive to the port. To have a parking facility located as far away as is shown on a map that was linked to the original post is a definite negative for me. Upon returning from the cruise, the hassle of having to deal with luggage and a shuttle to the parking area does not sound very inviting.

I am quite familiar with downtown Norfolk and recall when ships began arriving at the Nauticus pier that a garage across the street from Nauticus was available for passengers wishing to park. Is that option no longer available?

Every time we have cruised we have had a neighbor or family member drop us off at the cruise terminal - so I have never had to deal with parking in Norfolk. My thinking is yes - that garage likely does have long term parking, but I am not certain of it. You can email the contact on the website to confirm.

It is an AMAZING terminal. It makes the others look rather bad not only in service but also in atmosphere...

Thats really odd, we have done the same cost analysis and always found the cost-per-day (factoring in cruise + air, transportation, etc) to me much cheaper to just leave Norfolk. Especially now with airfare rates going up so high. We also always book verandas, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not...:confused:

Lets hope things get better and we don't loose Norfolk as a port altogether... :(

We have booked everything from suites to inside cabins and find that unless we want to sail to the Bahamas there are no good itineraries out of Norfolk for our dates. We are limited to holiday, spring break and summer cruises which are always higher. This means that we have to look elsewhere. We even looked at the Pride this year out of Baltimore but decided against it, the Bahamas just doesn't appeal to us (once was enough).

The Canada/New England and Bermuda itineraries are outrageous priced. RCL is commanding $800 pp for an OV cabin to Bermuda for 1.5 days on a 5-nt itinerary. I just can't see paying that amount when I can sail in a Balcony for the same amount for 7 days.

As far as airfare goes, I constantly looks for deals. We recently flew RT to CA for $238 pp and flights to FLL this summer were booked for less than $250 pp....we only paid $151 RT to FLL in early December (off season). Airfare to NY can be had for $150 pp year round. I have even found airfaire for our med cruise for less than $800 (flights from east coast to Barcelona, hopper to Paris after the cruise, and back home). Airfare deals are out there, you just have to look for them. :)

I will keep my fingers crossed for Norfolk, but I won't hold my breath. I agree that it is an amazing facility. I worked in the Sun Trust building directly across the street and the Wachovia building on Main for years. I miss being able to see the ships come and go from my office. Did you happen to see the Enchantment of the Seas in drydock last week?

For those interested in leaving from Norfolk - long-term parking is available in the Sun Trust building, but only the top 10 floors. I can't remember what the per day cost was since we had monthly parking passes. Upon exiting the building, the terminal is just across the street (less than a block) if you exit the north face of the building.

Wow! What a shock about Royal Caribbean not coming back to Norfolk after 2010. It is a shame but I do agree with some of the previous posters comments that there is not enough selection of dates from Norfolk and the prices seem high. I been on several cruises over the past few years and none were out of Norfolk. I have always sailed from San Juan or Fort Lauderdale. Flying into Fort Lauderdale is usually not too bad price wise. I also like port intensive cruises and sailing from Norfolk seems to have more sea days then port days. San Juan usually has week long cruises with 5 ports of call.

Bgarbus, thanks for alerting everyone to the decision of Royal Caribbean. I will certainly contact the various cruise lines and plead for Norfolk.

Denise

We have booked everything from suites to inside cabins and find that unless we want to sail to the Bahamas there are no good itineraries out of Norfolk for our dates. We are limited to holiday, spring break and summer cruises which are always higher. This means that we have to look elsewhere. We even looked at the Pride this year out of Baltimore but decided against it, the Bahamas just doesn't appeal to us (once was enough).

The Canada/New England and Bermuda itineraries are outrageous priced. RCL is commanding $800 pp for an OV cabin to Bermuda for 1.5 days on a 5-nt itinerary. I just can't see paying that amount when I can sail in a Balcony for the same amount for 7 days.

As far as airfare goes, I constantly looks for deals. We recently flew RT to CA for $238 pp and flights to FLL this summer were booked for less than $250 pp....we only paid $151 RT to FLL in early December (off season). Airfare to NY can be had for $150 pp year round. I have even found airfaire for our med cruise for less than $800 (flights from east coast to Barcelona, hopper to Paris after the cruise, and back home). Airfare deals are out there, you just have to look for them. :)

I will keep my fingers crossed for Norfolk, but I won't hold my breath. I agree that it is an amazing facility. I worked in the Sun Trust building directly across the street and the Wachovia building on Main for years. I miss being able to see the ships come and go from my office. Did you happen to see the Enchantment of the Seas in drydock last week?

For those interested in leaving from Norfolk - long-term parking is available in the Sun Trust building, but only the top 10 floors. I can't remember what the per day cost was since we had monthly parking passes. Upon exiting the building, the terminal is just across the street (less than a block) if you exit the north face of the building.

Ahhh, that makes more sense to me. You are right, the variety is sorely lacking out of Norfolk. I have expressed that multiple times both the Carnival's CEO and to Kirkland. It has yet to change.

At least with Royal a few years ago they had the Canada cruise which was nice (the one we are doing this year, but out of Baltimore.)

I spoke with Stephen Kirkland yesterday about this topic and what happens is that people wait to book until the last minute and the cruise lines keep dropping prices to fill the boats, so the profit margin is VERY low on the cruises leaving Norfolk, despite the boats being filled. Where the ships leaving say, Baltimore, people are booking early and paying the full price for the bookings and not waiting for the last minute deals - then they are spending a lot more on the ship = much higher profit margins for the cruise lines. This happens in ports where the market size and median household income are high the profit margins are much higher and the cruise lines profit. Here in Norfolk they struggle to fill the ships and then people just don't spend as much as they do in the wealthier cities...

So, using that formula - Norfolk will always be a really small port - unless we find a way to increase our market size and median household income...

I also asked about the cost of ships porting here and Kirkland informed me that we have one of the lowest, if not the lowest, porting fees in the country. He said they have kept a close eye on all the other ports to make sure that was not the reason for the low volume of cruises leaving Norfolk.

So I hope this helps explain. It really helped me understand more about the politics of it... Carnival does well here because it is a cheap cruise, and not frequent enough where they can't fill the ships... So, smaller ship = more often and perhaps more options, or larger ship = less often fewer options.

For a person such as me who is landlocked in Ohio; I have to fly to any port I sail out of. When I look for a cruise the first thing I look at is the itinerary, then what airport and how far from the port is it, and what ships sail out of that port. Norfolk does not offer enough of a seclection; they are thirty minutes or more from the airport, and what is there to do pre or post cruise? They sail to Bermuda, NE and Bahamas. I also believe that Port Canaveral cruise terminals were built by Disney from the ground up. Disney wanted the best for their guests so they built a state of the art cruise terminal.

AF-1,

I am going to take exception to your "what is there to do pre-or post-cruise in Norfolk. The city has many interesting attractions within the city and nearby. The Douglas MacArthur Museum, Nauticus, the Battleship Wisconsin, Mariner's Museum in Newport News, Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, the Norfolk Naval Base and Oceania Naval Air Station(if tours are still available) and, of course, Virginia Beach itself with all of its attractions. The area is an outstanding tourist destination!

I have not been in the new cruise terminal, but everything that I have read indicates that it is a state of the art facility. Probably better than anything available at Port Everglades, with the possible exception of the remodeled Pier 18 done for Oasis of the Seas.

As I said in my earlier post, for me, the parking situation is a major concern for me inasmuch as I would drive from Centerville to Norfolk.

AF-1,

I am going to take exception to your "what is there to do pre-or post-cruise in Norfolk. The city has many interesting attractions within the city and nearby. The Douglas MacArthur Museum, Nauticus, the Battleship Wisconsin, Mariner's Museum in Newport News, Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, the Norfolk Naval Base and Oceania Naval Air Station(if tours are still available) and, of course, Virginia Beach itself with all of its attractions. The area is an outstanding tourist destination!

I have not been in the new cruise terminal, but everything that I have read indicates that it is a state of the art facility. Probably better than anything available at Port Everglades, with the possible exception of the remodeled Pier 18 done for Oasis of the Seas.

As I said in my earlier post, for me, the parking situation is a major concern for me inasmuch as I would drive from Centerville to Norfolk.

Very well said. I was intending to reply when I got home with almost the same line of reasoning, but you beat me to it. Hampton Roads is an amazing area and full of history. Our first settlements are here. I can agree, the new Oasis facility is probably really nice, but I would say the Norfolk terminal is likely just as classy if not more so... It has a real touch of elegance and history to it.

Aside form the parking, I would even say it is perfect. I have to admit, they even make the parking painless from what I have been told.

It is also only 10 miles from the air port - I would estimate 15 minute ride.

Not to mention the amazing sights to see as you leave the port on the ship. You pass the worlds largest naval base and home to all our air craft carriers. Its a sight to see.

I have to chime in here as well.

While Norfolk does not have the draw that Florida beaches have, or the sightseeing opportunities that NYC offers, it does have a wealth of historical and local flavor that will exceed one's expectations. The City of Norfolk has invested millions to make the "Port of Norfolk" an inviting and tourist-friendly area. I attended one of the ceremonies after the Half Moone Cruise Terminal was christened and WOW!!!!! It is gorgeous. No expense was spared in the design and architecture of this facility. When it is not being used to accept cruise pax, it is rented out for private venues such as weddings, conferences, political functions, etc. Not long ago, we had a well-known royal family visit the terminal and surrounding area...a very exciting day!

There are a gazillion restaurants, cafes, diners, a high-end shopping mall (MacArthur Center), a ferry that transports people to the Portside (Portsmouth) for an Olde Town experience with more shops, art galleries, restaurants, etc. There is also a lower-end mall on the water and a beautiful park next to the terminal that is great for people watching. As others mentioned Nauticus museum and the USS Wisconsin are right next to the terminal and makes for an interesting visit. This is all within walking distance. Five minutes away you will find the Chrysler museum, historical Ghent and Harbor Park. There are two area airports - one is only 15-20 minutes away and the other is 30-45 minutes away, depending on traffic.

If one has transportation and ventures out a bit farther, Virginia Beach is only 25-30 minutes away and well worth the trip. The City has been working on a Light Rail system to transport people directly from downtown Norfolk to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. Virginia Beach spends an exhorbant amount of money each year to keep visitors returning year after year. You can take a drive down Shore Drive along the Chesapeake Bay (beautiful drive). The Virginia Aquarium is also in this area.

Historical Williamsburg and Jamestown are 45 minutes away and there is a fabulous outlet mall that just added 30+ new stores in that area. Kings Mill has a fabulous resort and championship golf course. For adventure seekers we have Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Water Country adventure parks all within 10 minutes of the resort.

As others have mentioned the U.S. military has a very large presence here, (only the biggest in the entire world) so quite a bit of what is offered in terms of sightseeing will involve historical military but there is plenty more to see and do. Politics may say it is not popular for cruises, but it does not stop the hordes of beach mongers and history buffs from visiting each year.

BTW, my avatar is of the Half Moone terminal.

Archived