Best ports to sail from

hogwildcruzers

After hearing horror stories about the embarkment from many ports, I thought it be fun to hear from each person on what is the best port to embark from. Mine would have to be Seattle and the worst would be New Orleans, just getting to the pier was a nightmare.

i liked new orleans, because the immigration/debarkation was so easily done in one step... we stayed in our rooms right up until our color was called and then we got off the ship... it was great! galveston is the closest for us, so that has to be the best, but debarkation there is a nightmare... you have to exit your room when your color is called to wait in the immigration line, only to return to a public area to wait again until your color is called to disembark (and that doesn't happen till everyone has been through immigration)... it's just an awful process compared to new orleans, but it's close so it has to be my top choice...

FFL

San Dieago

Miami

I'm disabled, it was very easy in FFL. You just went to the far end and they took you to the ship from there. In San Dieago, there was a long wait as the ship did not get there until late afternoon. In Miami, they kept switching which line we were to be in.

I agree, none were really bad as I was going on a cruise. I will be in Norfolk next, then San Pedro.

Well, right now N.O. port area is a mess, due to the building of a multi-tiered parking garage - but it will be worth it in the long run for future cruise passengers. However, once you're in the terminal itself, the people traffic flows very smoothly.

I may have been alittle hard on N.O., you are right about the mess from construction, but until they do something more in favor of moving the traffic in and out of the pier area it will be difficult for easy embarkment. But hey, your going on a cruise, what can be greater!!;)

The BEST port to sail from is any port where you are boarding a cruise ship for vacation. :D

Galveston just opened to Princess and was nice to go from, but jammed on return. First time we've done a park and cruise. FLL has been well set up for every embarkation we've had. Papeete, Tahiti - check in for boarding was under an awning on the pier. Quick and easy.

We try to get there early to avoid crowds whenever possible. In our experience, that's how to avoid the hassle.

We must have gotten lucky with Vancouver, it was a breeze. The only long wait we had was disembarkation, the lines moved along very well until we got to the taxi line. Since we needed a van (4ppl) we waited about an hour. We were staying over an extra day, so at least it was not stressful, just boring.

For us, from best to worst:

Fort Lauderdale

Seattle

San Juan

Miami

New York City

But I'd gladly go again from any of them. And everyone should experience sailing past the Statue of Liberty at sunset like we did.

Being from Seattle I would have to say it is very easy for us to access. But I love Miami; leaving from any port outside of the US (San Juan) is hard becasue it is a huge trip for us.

Then again if I had a crusie I really wouldn't be too picky about where to catch it :)

I haven't cruised from Mobile yet, but I have driven past the terminal and it looks really nice. My son cruised on the Holiday last month, and said it was really easy to park and go thru the embarkation process at the terminal and onto the ship. Parking is $10 per day. Easy on/off access from the interstate.

We have some friends that cruise out of Mobile about every 3 months because of the good price of Carival and they tell me the terminal there in Mobile is very nice with easy to embark from, I have not done this yet, but think a quick 4 or 5 day cruise on the Holiday would be a great trip to keep the cruise fever from getting to high while waiting on the longer 7 to 10 day cruises.;)

I found San Juan to be very nice last October. After a 10 minute cab ride from the airport, we had no lines and got right on the ship.

The only other port I've sailed out of was Port Canaveral, and the lines were long, but quick. Probably about 20 minutes in line before getting to the counter.

Next cruise we sail out of Rome! Only 4 months to go...:)

We cruise out of Port Everglades 4-5 times a year, its our favorite port. For us its a matter of conveniance. Port of Miami would be my second choice only because it takes 50 minutes to get to versus the 20 minute drive to FLL. ;)

Steve and Sherri:

We went out of Philadelphia in the fall of 2003 and enjoyed it. It was much lower keyed then NYC. They had trolleys to take you from the luggage and parking facilities and a band playing when you got to the terminal. The only downside was that the gangway was quite long.

Archived