Honningsvag Norway/ North Cape

Ejoying this Post, plenty of Good information. Just wondering is it easy to use the local bus on the day ? 22 miles away seems so easy, but the price to get there varies alot depending on who you go with. Also if your Ship is travelling up to The Cape, is there any need to do the road trip ?

LHT28: If you have lots of time & the bus schedule works for you

Remember a lot of people may opt for the bus as well. Does your ship dock at THE CAPE?

Jules 1970: Not to bothered about the amout of people' date=' just wondered if there's enough room on the local buses ? I think the ship just passes through the area then returns Southwards. Seems like the further north you get the easiest options are the Cruise Ship Excursions [/quote']

There are several items where I might be able to clarify. First, the North Cape (see below) is a massive cliff/mountain. No area, room or possibility of docking up there. Sorry! It is a "sail by" that our ship did. Not sure that all ships do such a sail-by and/or if the weather will be fully cooperating when you are in this dramatic area. As you can see in my pictures, the tall peak can go from cloudy and covered over by fog/cloud to sunny and bright in just a few minutes.

Yes, there is a local bus in that town, but much will depend (as happens in other ports along this Norway Coast) on how many ships and their size will be in the port at that time you are there. Many of these port stops are smaller towns and/or villages. They don't have massive infrastructure to handle large, large crowds of tourist. When things are busy, the buses can fill up quick.

Ship tours are not perfect and/or cheap, but they lessen the risks of getting crowded out or missing what you seek for your once in a lifetime visit there.

Reactions? Other questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 99,282 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are two views of the North Cape as we approached and the clouds started to clear and the sun broke through showing a great blue sky.:

NorCapeSunBreakingThru.jpg

NorthCapeRedNorHotPixShot.jpg

The ship did a full 360-degree rotation to allow all on the ship, whether on the top deck or in the rooms on both sides, to see this wonderful spectacle of the North Cape. The second shot allows a great look at the detail for this massive rock formation.:

NorthCapeShipTurning.jpg

NorthCapeFullLookGreen.jpg

Not to bothered about the amout of people, just wondered if there's enough room on the local buses ?

I think the ship just passes through the area then returns Southwards.

Seems like the further north you get the easiest options are the Cruise Ship Excursions

We booked a taxi for 7 people from our Roll call

You pay admission to the Cape centre when you arrive but for us it worked out cheaper than the ship & we did stop along the way to view other things

It is one of those places that there is not a lot there but you can say

"I HAVE BEEN THERE"

:D

We did a sail by the Cape as well

Enjoy

Lyn

Pretty sure the ship (Cunard) does the Sail-by on the same day after leaving Honningvag.

I think looking at the photos and weather permitting, the trip on the boat will be Ok.

This leaves me free all day to plan another trip :)

I like taxi idea :) and the docking at the Cape also ;)

Ejoying this Post, plenty of Good information.Just wondering is it easy to use the local bus on the day ?

22 miles away seems so easy,but the price to get there varies alot depending on who you go with.

Also if your Ship is travelling up to The Cape,is there any need to do the road trip ?

We were on Celebrity, and the shore excursion to Nordkapp was completely booked. We thought we could catch the local bus, but it was full too. So we went back to the ship and the buses, and luckily there were a couple of no shows.

I agree that Lyn's suggestion of having a group take a taxi looks good!

Edited by KCcruisin07

Hi, did you enjoy the excursion, read a few good/bad reviews.

What time of year did you travel ?

Did you have good weather at the Cape ?.

[i found the ship's daily, and there wasn't much about the Visitor Center.]

Jules,

We traveled in June. The day we went to Nordkapp was sunny, but it was windy when we arrived at the Visitor Center. (No rain!) On the way over, the land was green and hilly, and I thought it was very beautiful, like something I would have expected in Ireland. There were reindeer (as shown in Terry's photos), including what we thought were albino reindeer in the road. My husband loved it!!

When we got to the museum, we went to some exhibits and tours. I think the food and drinks were expensive, but to some extent that is how it is in Norway.

We went outside and took some pictures of these cool statues that were lined up in a circle. Everyone wanted their photo there, so there was a wait.

What we missed: there was a German ship that the Norwegian Navy sunk during WWII. You had to go through a tunnel to see it. We didn't know and missed that.

At the time we went the shore excursion was practically the only way to get there. I tried to communicate with the bus ahead of time, but had no response. We tried to catch it with another couple, but then it was full. Some people in our group rented a van, and it broke down! (I would think things are better now or they would get really bad reviews.)

Now there are taxis and more rentals, but there is a charge for admission and parking, so you need to weigh all the costs. (Also I'm not sure how much the ship's excursion is currently.)

I know about the reviews of the center. Some are good, others negative. Yes, it was commercialized, but to me there was something special about going to the northernmost point of Norway and being so close to the North Pole. Overall we liked it, and the others with us seemed to also. I have a feeling that the weather (rain) affects some people's opinions. If only you could know the weather ahead of time.

For sure there was not much in Honningsvag other than a small museum and a brewery.

Edited by KCcruisin07

thank you for posting this video - it captures some of the feelings I experienced when I visited last September (when it wasn't covered in snow). I found it to be an almost spiritual location, especially once the crowds had cleared away. Weather up there is changeable on a moment's notice, we were lucky, we (eventually) had bright sun and the water was so blue ... and then with the sheer drop-off of the cliffs ... so beautiful!

• 4 years later...

If you would like to go to North Cape from cruise dock in Honningsvag, here is the most update we have found. (after hours searching and reading forums). There are few different bus tours taking you from harbor directly to North Cape, or if you want to explore it with air. The price is very reasonable comparing with what cruise line offers. Also you can get discount at Ice Bar after you join their tours.(not sure if the discount applies to all tours they offer.)

After searched about options in public bus, taxi and car rental, I feel this is a less stressful way within budget to visit North Cape. So you don't have to worry about bus schedule, toll fee. or numbers of passangers and admission charge at visitor center.

Wish you all have a great visit!!

Tour packages:

http://www.nordkapp.no/en/

Ice Bar:

http://www.articoicebar.com/en/

Edited by Angellady4
add more information