embarkation lunch and pool towels

What are our lunch options upon embarkation? If the buffet is completely crowded, is there somewhere else to go?

Are their towels available at the pool or do you bring the towel up from your room? Is there a charge for pool towels?

We're sailing on the Oosterdam this Oct.

I've never been on a HAL ship where there is a charge for use of towels. There should be plenty. Don't take them from your room - and there's a good chance - depending when you board - the state rooms won't be available. There is a place to store your roll-on luggage.

As for dining - Buffets move - and there is plenty of places to sit inside and pool side.... just go with a little patience. People who are part of the Mariners club are offered the dining room - so that takes some of the pressure off the Buffet.

We were on this trip 2 years ago - it was excellent. Have a great time

I have never seen the Lido too crowded to enjoy. When there ARE lines they move fairly quickly. I usually take my mean outside if it is nice. I, personally, am in line for ice cream as soon as I board. YUMMMM!

There are LOTS of towels by every pool. No charge. Sometimes we needed towels....other times we needed blankets....there are blankets available by the pools also. There were several sail away parties when we wrapped up in more than one blanket!

HAL is not like Princess and some other cruise lines where your beach towel is in the cabin and you have to use the same one every day -- I hated that.

Even if you have a beach excursion -- you can pick up a beach towel at the gangway -- sometimes the table is located inside before you leave the ship -- sometimes it is located at the end of the gangway once you get off the ship.

It is true on the larger ships that the Lido can get very crowded -- and many people won't move from a table until they hear the annoucement that the cabins are ready -- usually around 1:30. Besides the Lido Buffet -- you can get hamburgers, hot dogs, tacos, at the Grill by the Lido Pool.

Seeing the conversation about lunch - we sail out of Seattle on June 5th. The documents say embarkation at 1PM. What time do they really begin boarding?

Thanks

Kevin

Seeing the conversation about lunch - we sail out of Seattle on June 5th. The documents say embarkation at 1PM. What time do they really begin boarding?

Thanks

Kevin

Boarding begins usually around 11:30 AM. The Lido opens at that time for lunch.

Cabins are usually ready around 1:30 -- an announcement will be made.

Thanks for all the helpful information. We've only sailed Disney which has plentiful free towels for all your excursions and for use on the ship... and also plentiful options for dining once you embark. I just read that with other cruise lines (RCI and Carnival) they didn't have the free towels at the pool and none for use during excursions! You have to pay a $20 deposit to use a pool towel. It sounded crazy to me. I'm so glad HAL doesn't do that. whew.

I am also glad to hear that you can get burgers by the pool if you want. We'll try the Liddo if it's not too crowded though. I just like to know my options.

We'll generally eat a late breakfast just before boarding the ship---that way, we don't have to deal with the "feeding frenzy" when we board! We head straight for the pool and our first drink!

We'll generally eat a late breakfast just before boarding the ship---that way, we don't have to deal with the "feeding frenzy" when we board! We head straight for the pool and our first drink!

We also don't participate in the feeding frenzy at the buffet. We head straight for the Ocean Bar - much quieter than the pool area and we get to know the bartender.

Didn't see anyone else mention this, but the MDR may be open on embarkation day. I had heard that this was only for "Mariners", but no one asked us about that and our tablemates were first-time HAL cruisers, so I don't know that that is true. It is a very limited time, however. On our cruise, I think it was 12:30 to 1:30. Very nice lunch and very relaxing.

Archived