Flight after Oasis cruise isn't until 8:00pm, Fort Lauderdale

Any suggestions on what to do once we leave the Oasis. Thinking of paying the ship to take our luggage to the airport so we don't have that to lug around but have no idea what to do all day. Up for anything, sightseeing, beach, open for suggestions. Thanks

I would check prices on the following....renting a day room, changing the flight to something earlier, or a LOOOONG excursion...pick the cheapest!

You will have about 12 hours to "kill"...that's a LOOONG time. If you can't get an earlier flight, I'd do a day room somewhere with a pool and restaurant....it will be worth it! You won't want to go to the beach without showering and changing for the flight home!

My son and DIL just did this 2 weeks ago. They had a 7pm flight after a cruise, went to the airport when they got off the ship and were able to change to a 1pm flight for $50/pp(Delta).

We did this after the Jewel in 2006 :eek:. It left FLL at 7PM, but being able to use skymiles seemed like a great idea at the time. Then we went to the airport to drop off our bags and hit Las Olas for a while before returning to the airport for our flight and they told us we could only check our bags 4 hours before the flight. We had to drag those bags all over For Lauderdale with us that day and we vowed to always stay a day after or get a noon flight home :p.

If you don't want to try getting an earlier flight, by all means use the RCL luggage valet service (if available):

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/pressCenter/pressReleases/info.do?prDate=04-05-2007&prCode=A

Catch a cab to FLL airport and rent a car, go to the beach, shopping, or head south to Miami.....soooo many things to see and do! Get a car with GPS to make it easier. There's the Miami Zoo, Seaquarium, monkey jungle, parrot jungle, cruise South Beach, drive around Coconut Grove (good restaurants and shopping) and down S. Bayshore drive, to Ingraham hwy , then to Old Cutler Rd. Awesome houses and scenery. Stop by Viscaya and take a tour of the mansion and gardens. Or drive west on US 41 (Tamiami trail) and see the everglades and ride an airboat. Or in Ft Lauderdale there is the Museum of Science (with an IMAX) in it. Have fun!

If you don't want to try getting an earlier flight, by all means use the RCL luggage valet service (if available):

You need to call RCCL and see if the airport will take the luggage with the luggage valet for an evening flight - the airports usually don't allow the luggage to be checked in earlier than a few hours before your flight.

My friend and I rented a car for the day (about $20 in 2006) to have somewhere to put our luggage. We went to Sawgrass Mills and spent most of the day there. By the time you get off the ship, get to the airport to rent the car, etc. you will have about 6-8 hours to go wherever you want!

We did this once with a long layover in Miami/Ft.Lauderdale. We rented a car and booked a day rate at a nice beach hotel/resort. Had plenty of time for a nap, beach and lunch and more beach. Then we were able to shower and get to the airport with time to spare. Actually was very relaxing and was like an extra excursion day.

Any suggestions on what to do once we leave the Oasis. Thinking of paying the ship to take our luggage to the airport so we don't have that to lug around but have no idea what to do all day. Up for anything, sightseeing, beach, open for suggestions. Thanks

The Everglades on a power boat would be a good trip to see the aligators. There is also a flamingo park you can visit. We had an a flight at 5pm and did the ship excursion with Princess so the suitcases stayed on the coach. You could look at a private excursion to take in the sights and leave your cases in the boot if you prefer?

You need to call RCCL and see if the airport will take the luggage with the luggage valet for an evening flight - the airports usually don't allow the luggage to be checked in earlier than a few hours before your flight.

I believe at FLL it is currently 3 hours before your flight. And yes, they stick to that pretty strictly from what I can see. On debarkation mornings it is not uncommon to find tons of people sitting around FLL with their bags, waiting until they hit the 3 hour mark to be able to check in.

Archived