Formal Nights for Alaska?

Len3

My TA tells me that for Alaska, we can pack light and let the Tux stay home, only a suit and tie will be necessary. Is this correct?

Personal choice/totally up to you! A suit will work; a tux is not necessary

My TA tells me that for Alaska, we can pack light and let the Tux stay home, only a suit and tie will be necessary. Is this correct?

That is correct. Leaving on my fourth Alaska cruise next week, yippeee:) (But without my sexy husband. A suit and a tie is even too much for him!)

Your TA is correct...

My DH normally takes his TUX on all other HAL cruises, however we were told by the Tour Operator, which also booked our land in Alaska, that a TUX, was unnecessary..

There were only a handful of TUX's on our cruise..DH fit Right in with his suit & tie..

Enjoy Alaska...

Cheers...:)Betty

The Holland America Line's dress code nowhere states that a Tuxedo is "required" for formal nights. A suit and tie or a jacket and tie are certainly sufficient for any/all Formal nights on the Line.

Many men wear Tuxedos on all formal nights regardless of the itinerary -- including Alaska -- and many others wear suits or jackets and ties; some even ignore the Formal night code altogether and don't dress up. That's about it. Enjoy Alaska! It's one of the most amazing scenic cruise destinations in easy range and for a reasonable price.

I think most quality cruise lines suggest, at least for men, "Dark suit and tie or tuxedo", and there is no reason for it to be difficult. Several years ago I planned a surface trip around the world. I was travelling quite light with a backpack and day pack but had to account for a 30-day Pacific crossing at the end of the journey on the Crystal Harmony. I went to a plain black blazer from Travelsmith, matched with black trousers and it fit in fine on formal nights. I have used that wardrobe ever since, although on my last cruises I added formal slacks, a formal shirt and cumberbund, but that black blazer is still part of the mix. Several times I was "accused" of wearing a tux. If space and weight is tight, I will leave the formal slacks behind and wear the blazer on the plane, the inside pockets are perfect for cruise documents and if desired I can just stash it in the overhead bin with my carryon for a long flight.

I think most quality cruise lines suggest, at least for men, "Dark suit and tie or tuxedo", and there is no reason for it to be difficult. .

Are you suggesting that HAL is not a quality cruise

line?;)

And, please tell us in what catagory you would place Oceania & Azmara?

Just wondering...;)

Are you suggesting that HAL is not a quality cruise

line?;)

And, please tell us in what catagory you would place Oceania & Azmara?

Just wondering...;)

I don't think "Dark suit and tie or tuxedo" is very far from what HAL recommends for formal nights, am I missing something. I certainly include it among quality cruise lines. I have not cruised Oceania and Azmara but I don't think they have formal nights so formal night recommend dress for them seems like a moot point.

As everyone has said, yes, a suit and tie is fine. But I don't get how bringing that along is packing any "lighter" than packing a tux. You are still packing pants, jacket, shoes, shirt and tie. I guess there is the addition of a vest or cummerbund with the tux but I mean really - that's nothing.

HAL does not require a suit, just a jacket and tie..... and we've always assumed that they expect pants too;).

My DH wore his dark suit coat on the plane last time and we had his suit pants packed in one suitcase, and other black slacks packed in the other suitcase, just in case one suitcase got lost. We had 2 carry on bags and 2 medium size checked bags for a 21 day cruise. Next time I hope to pack even lighter.

My husband wore a tux on both of our cruises and the packing couldn't have been easier. He rented from Cruiseline Formal Wear!

Delivered to our cabin at the beginning of the cruise and picked up at the end.

Perfect.

What do you think about my 14 years old son? Does he need wear suit? Or shirt is fine?

There are some who will say that a 14 year old boy doesn't need to wear a suit or jacket and tie on Formal night. However, the Dress Code makes no distinction in regards to age ... what applies to an adult male would appear to also be suggested for youth and children (at least according to the code).

What one actually sees will vary. I've been on cruises where I've seen young people -- youth and children -- wearing much more casual attire then their parents and there doesn't appear to have been any problem with the staff allowing the kids into the dining room. On other cruises I've seen youth and children dressed to the nines and looking WONDERFULL. So, as in all maters of this kind, it becomes a personal judgement call as to how you want them dressed and what kind of messages you want to send.

Personally, I view a cruise with a dress code as the perfect opportunity to start teaching one's children and youth about social norms and expectations and how to behave in such an environment. How often does one get to teach one's kids about such social occasions? There are so few opportunities these days, given our culture's predilection against dressing up, that I would jump at such a chance! When I was a kid I wore a suit or jacket and tie to church every Sunday. These days most boys don't wear their first suit until their Prom or -- maybe -- wedding! In my opinion, I'd say "dress him up in a jacket and tie and let him have the experience of being "grown up."" But, that's just my opinion ... Ultimately, it's your decision.

What one actually sees will vary. I've been on cruises where I've seen young people -- youth and children -- wearing much more casual attire then their parents and there doesn't appear to have been any problem with the staff allowing the kids into the dining room. .................

Wow! Bet ya Lucy is gonna sleep good tonite knowing that piece of intel!:cool:

We had 2 carry on bags and 2 medium size checked bags for a 21 day cruise. Next time I hope to pack even lighter.

My DH and I are just back from 110 day World Cruise. He had a tux and a jacket, I had 5 different tops, we went cold (Antartica) and hot (Africa) weather. Our 2 large suitcases were 3/4 FULL. Next time, we will pack even lighter.

Having to pack light is no excuse not to observe the dress code and not to bring the appropriate pants to respect cultures and religions.

Louise

What do you think about my 14 years old son? Does he need wear suit? Or shirt is fine?

There are some who will say that a 14 year old boy doesn't need to wear a suit or jacket and tie on Formal night. However, the Dress Code makes no distinction in regards to age ... what applies to an adult male would appear to also be suggested for youth and children (at least according to the code).

What one actually sees will vary. I've been on cruises where I've seen young people -- youth and children -- wearing much more casual attire then their parents and there doesn't appear to have been any problem with the staff allowing the kids into the dining room. On other cruises I've seen youth and children dressed to the nines and looking WONDERFULL. So, as in all maters of this kind, it becomes a personal judgement call as to how you want them dressed and what kind of messages you want to send.

Personally, I view a cruise with a dress code as the perfect opportunity to start teaching one's children and youth about social norms and expectations and how to behave in such an environment. How often does one get to teach one's kids about such social occasions? There are so few opportunities these days, given our culture's predilection against dressing up, that I would jump at such a chance! When I was a kid I wore a suit or jacket and tie to church every Sunday. These days most boys don't wear their first suit until their Prom or -- maybe -- wedding! In my opinion, I'd say "dress him up in a jacket and tie and let him have the experience of being "grown up."" But, that's just my opinion ... Ultimately, it's your decision.

Have to say in general I'm with RevNeal on this one. Also, while it may not be required, at 14, I, personally, would have felt very embarrassed to be so under-dressed. But I also do understand that a 14 year old is still growing and buying a suit or even a jacket that he may only wear on this one cruise then grow out of is a tough pill to swallow. So good luck with your decision and enjoy your cruise!

My DH and I are just back from 110 day World Cruise. He had a tux and a jacket, I had 5 different tops, we went cold (Antartica) and hot (Africa) weather. Our 2 large suitcases were 3/4 FULL. Next time, we will pack even lighter.

Having to pack light is no excuse not to observe the dress code and not to bring the appropriate pants to respect cultures and religions.

Louise

What does this have to do with the OP's question..:confused: He never asked for an excuse not to observe the dress code!

The OP asked if his TA was right when she told him a Tux is not required...He never asked if he needed pants? :confused: The answer to the OP's question is: "Yes. the TA was correct.".

Why would you go on to pass judgment on what you believe he should wear in order to respect the Alaskan culture or their religions.. :rolleyes:

In addition, HAL's dress code requests that gentlemen wear a Tux, Suit, or a Jacket & tie...And of course that would include pants & a dress shirt to be properly dressed on Formal night....

First of all, on HAL Alaskan Cruises, passengers do not dress as formally as they do on World Cruise's...Maybe 10%-20% wear a TUX..Most men on our cruise either wore a suit or just a sport coat & tie (yes, with pants:D)..My DH fit right in with his suit & did respect his fellow passengers...:cool:.

Therefore, a Gentleman dressed in a tie & Jacket (w/pants) on formal night is respecting their fellow passengers as well as the Alaskan culture & probably all religions..

Cheers....:)Betty

Have to say in general I'm with RevNeal on this one. Also, while it may not be required, at 14, I, personally, would have felt very embarrassed to be so under-dressed. But I also do understand that a 14 year old is still growing and buying a suit or even a jacket that he may only wear on this one cruise then grow out of is a tough pill to swallow. So good luck with your decision and enjoy your cruise!

I also agree with Rev. Neal & caveguy on this one..You might want to go to a second hand store or Burlington Coat factory to pick up a nice very inexpensive jacket for your son..Some of our second hand stores sell almost new clothes at a fraction of the original cost..

When I adopted our Son, at age 15 & we bought him a suit for court & dinner at a lovely restaurant at the Burlington Coat factory..It was not expensive....He was proud as a peacock & wore that suit several times when we flew to Europe..He also made a big hit with the girls...:)In those days DH & DS were required to wear jackets w/tie & I was required to wear a pant suit or dress, when we flew standby...

Hope you enjoy your cruise..

Cheers...:)Betty.

Archived