Late Night Room Service Charge

That charge does include the tip, if you happen to order after midnight!

But if you are a mogwai, it will be so noted on your SeaPass card, and they won't allow you to order room service at all after midnight.

I believe if your order comes after midnight, it will have the extra fees, not including tip!

No. You are doubly wrong there. The fee is supposed to be based on when the order is placed, rather than when it is delivered, and it includes a tip. This was clarified in an article here on Cruise Critic (with quotes from a Royal Caribbean spokesperson).

Well, forgive me for making what you call being a "doubly wrong" post ! I spoke of our own personal experience a few months ago! We ordered shortly before 12 and it came around 12:20 a.m. We did give the lady $2 bucks for delivery as well! The next day we checked our account and we were charged the $4.95!! My DH went to straighten it out and after a 1/2 hour, they said it was considered after midnight, because it WAS DELIVERED AFTER MIDNIGHT :-( We were pretty annoyed, took it further in a nice way, and afrer wasting more than an hour, they did what was called a "courtesy removal of the fee".

Don't be so quick to judge even if you believe you know the facts! Maybe now they have tweaked it a bit, but cerainly not at our sailing!

That is why I responded as I did...personal knowledge and/or experience is the best teacher!

No hard feelings.

From Gremlins - must not get wet or eat after midnight.

So no hot tub either

Yes, I remember now, thanks for the explanation Ha! ha!! Rob thought it was something from Star Wars (hence we didn't get the joke)

We had a owner's suite and ordered RS twice, no fee! We always tip extra whether it's on the bill or not.

The tips on the bill are split within that department. So, all the room service staff split the tip or all bartenders split the 15% added tip. The extra you either add to the bill or cash you give is for that particular server only.

That is why I responded as I did...personal knowledge and/or experience is the best teacher!

No hard feelings.

OK, so you were doubly wrong, and they were singly wrong to charge you. ;)

Yes, we know it includes a tip, but we choose to give the "server" a little extra cash tip! Hope that's acceptable in the room service rules!

Think this is enough on this subject...

I didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot with you; I was just correcting what appeared to be incorrect information. Choosing to give the server an extra cash tip was not unacceptable. But someone was asking a question, and you told them that "...it will have the extra fees, not including tip!" I took that to mean you were saying the extra fees did NOT include tip.

I wouldn't try to tell you not to include an extra tip. That's your business. I would try to tell you that the service fee includes a tip, if you post something that says or implies otherwise. Sorry that I made you feel defensive.

No. You are doubly wrong there. The fee is supposed to be based on when the order is placed, rather than when it is delivered, and it includes a tip. This was clarified in an article here on Cruise Critic (with quotes from a Royal Caribbean spokesperson).

The fee is supposed to be based on when the order is delivered. That way, you can place a breakfast order when you go to bed at 2am if you like, and since it will not actually be delivered until say, 9am, you will not be charged a fee.

I spoke of our own personal experience a few months ago! We ordered shortly before 12 and it came around 12:20 a.m. .... The next day we checked our account and we were charged the $4.95!! My DH went to straighten it out and after a 1/2 hour, they said it was considered after midnight, because it WAS DELIVERED AFTER MIDNIGHT :-( .

They charged you correctly, since the order was delivered between midnight and 5am.

The fee is supposed to be based on when the order is delivered. That way, you can place a breakfast order when you go to bed at 2am if you like, and since it will not actually be delivered until say, 9am, you will not be charged a fee.

That's not the way it was explained by the RCI rep. Breakfast orders intended for later in the morning were the exception, but orders placed before midnight for delivery asap were not supposed to be subject to the fee.

This makes sense, of course, because, if you order something at 11:15pm, but room service is slow and it's delivered after midnight, that's not your fault. Hence, the fair way to do it is to set a limit based on the order time, which is under your control, vs. the delivery time, which is not.

That's not the way it was explained by the RCI rep. Breakfast orders intended for later in the morning were the exception, but orders placed before midnight for delivery asap were not supposed to be subject to the fee.

This makes sense, of course, because, if you order something at 11:15pm, but room service is slow and it's delivered after midnight, that's not your fault. Hence, the fair way to do it is to set a limit based on the order time, which is under your control, vs. the delivery time, which is not.

Serenade charged me based on when the order was placed. I ordered some cookies one night about 11:20 PM and was told room service was extremely backed up so it would take about an hour. The cookies arrived around 12:10 AM but I wasn't charged the service fee for them. I ordered a cheese plate a couple minutes after midnight once and was charged the fee. I had to give the waiter my seapass and sign a slip like you do for a bar drink order when the cheeses were delivered. It even had a line for additional tip like the bar slips do.

Archived