Athens: pros and cons of diy vs taxi tour

utsoob

Experienced Athens visitors: We are stymied as to whether to go with Paul's taxi for our family of 5 to see Athens in July vs just doing it on our own. Our 3 kids are 8-12 years old. Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

I am not an experienced Athens visitor, however my husband and I will be going to Athens on a cruise the end of this month. I have asked the same question. Many have steered me away from using Paul's taxi as it is very expensive and the taxi drivers, such as Paul, are not licensed tour guides. They will drop you off at the sites and wait for you.

Evidently the central area of Athens, where all the sites are located, is a very compact area - easily walkable. Everyone suggests getting a good map and venturing out on your own. Will you be on a cruise, as well? You can get a taxi at the port for approximately 15 euros to downtown Athens. They also highly recommend arriving at the Acropolis as early in the day as possible to avoid the long lines - very busy by 10AM or so

You might also post your question on tripadvisor.com. Type in "Athens forum" in the search box. Here is the link to the post that I did asking the very same question you did.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k3258110-Athens_by_Taxi-Athens_Attica.html

I also picked up a Rick Steve's book - "Athens and the Peloponnese", which has been very helpful.

When are you going to Athens? We will be there on June 3. I would be happy to report back to you.

wdmtraveler has nicely listed the pros and I agree with those. Although you might have to pay 20-25 euro for a taxi to the Acropolis/Plaka area. (Should be lower but they are only marginally willing to negotiate.)

As to the cons, there are only two I can think of for DIY versus a taxi. The first one is heat, but that can be remedied by taking occasional breaks for cool drinks (iced coffee is very good) and a rest at one of the many cafes. The second is having information. As wdmtraveler points out, the drivers are not guides but they do give you some information. However, it's information you can get from even the most basic guidebooks.

So......dress for heat, bring a guidebook, and DIY.

Thank you both! We'll be there on a cruise stop in mid-July, so I'm sure the heat will be bad. You're right about expensive - especially because we need a 10 passenger "mini bus" since we have more than 4 people.

We actually took the metro in, toured around on our own and then took a taxi back to the ship. Enjoyed it all. We like to use public transportation when we can, if for no other reason than to "experience" a place in a different way. Mostly locals on the metro (along with cruisers off our ship ;)) I see you are going to Istanbul also.....use the tram !!! Fast, cheap and easy !

We were there mid May and it was already hot-hot-hot !!!!! Have fun.

I don't know which one is better, but we had a fabulous DIY day with our kids, ages 15 and 11, last summer in Athens. We walked everywhere, and the kids especially liked climbing up to the Acropolis. With the DIY day we had a chance to talk to some of the local people (mostly in Plaka), which the kids found really interesting.

We have done both, and both worked very well. Nick of Greek Taxi http://www.***** is wonderful. The big advantage is that he will get you right to the entrance of the sites and be there waiting for you when you come out. He took us to the top of Lycabettos Hill for a great panoramic view and pictures. He also took us to a wonderful little local gyro shop for lunch that we would never have been able to find on our own. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea3.html (Athens is at the top and bottom of the page.)

OTOH we have also walked the Antiquities Promenade by ourselves with a guide book and that works fine too, especially if that is pretty much all you want to do in Athens. You get the Acropolis Museum which is an outstanding museum. There are some nice places to eat along the way. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/athens.html

You have to decide whether the comfort and convenience of port to port transportation with a driver is worth it to you.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Athens is walkable, but it is a LOT of walking. If you are only there for a day, time will be of the essence and a taxi would be worthwhile. Especially with younger children. There is a hopon hopoff train that runs around from the Plaka to the Acropolis that might be worth looking into also. I think you can pick it up near the Metro station by the Plaka.

Like Texancruzer, we prefer using local transport like the Metro. Be very careful on the Metro to and from Pireaus. It is loaded with pickpockets and they can be aggressive. Not dangerous - but aggressive. I was surrounded by three. Two began tugging and pulling on my bag and jacket while the third went for my wallet. Fortunately, all he got was a bruised wrist. Be aware of what is going on around you and you will be fine. Don't miss the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Athens is a wonderful city - we've been several times and look forward to going back again.

We used Paul of Greektaxi. We had 3 kids and seniors for a larger party of 11. We added 4 more tourshares, so no questions we were doing private. The total cost for using Paul and his larger bus was cheaper than any of the ship tours but not as cheap as the walk to train then walk/train/taxi to each site. If you are talking about Greektaxi they are a private driver service not your typical "taxi" Our driver Dimitri was fun, shared history, pointed out sights, taught us greek. It was dreadfully hot, it was nice we got dropped pretty much as close as you can to all our stops. Others are correct the driver can't leave the vehicle and hiring a guide at the acropolis may be an addtional 90-100 euros you'll want to spend. The good news euro exchange is down. All depends on what your budget and agenda is. If I was to do it again, I'd go private if I wanted to see a lot in the middle of summer.

Good luck and hipe things clear up for you before your cruise

Experienced Athens visitors: We are stymied as to whether to go with Paul's taxi for our family of 5 to see Athens in July vs just doing it on our own. Our 3 kids are 8-12 years old. Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

I am not an experienced Athens visitor, however my husband and I will be going to Athens on a cruise the end of this month. I have asked the same question. Many have steered me away from using Paul's taxi as it is very expensive and the taxi drivers, such as Paul, are not licensed tour guides. They will drop you off at the sites and wait for you.

Evidently the central area of Athens, where all the sites are located, is a very compact area - easily walkable. Everyone suggests getting a good map and venturing out on your own. Will you be on a cruise, as well? You can get a taxi at the port for approximately 15 euros to downtown Athens. They also highly recommend arriving at the Acropolis as early in the day as possible to avoid the long lines - very busy by 10AM or so

You might also post your question on tripadvisor.com. Type in "Athens forum" in the search box. Here is the link to the post that I did asking the very same question you did.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k3258110-Athens_by_Taxi-Athens_Attica.html

I also picked up a Rick Steve's book - "Athens and the Peloponnese", which has been very helpful.

When are you going to Athens? We will be there on June 3. I would be happy to report back to you.

Would love to get your report on Athens when you get back. We will be there 1st week of August. We are planning to take the metro to La Plaka and I read about the hop on hop off bus through La plaka and to possibly the Acropolis. I am still a bit unsure about that part. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Have a great cruise!

Yes, I will certainly report our experience when we return. I have saved this post in my "favorites" so it will be easy to find. I am anxious to read others reports who are on the cruise now that we are going on. Hopefully they will share, as well.

Yes, I will certainly report our experience when we return. I have saved this post in my "favorites" so it will be easy to find. I am anxious to read others reports who are on the cruise now that we are going on. Hopefully they will share, as well.

Thank you so much wdmtraveler. Athens is a confusing port. Most Taxi drivers, as everyone on this board knows, are not tour guides. Basically, they pick you up and drop you off. We want to do the Acropolis and The Plaka. We really don't need a driver to walk around the streets with us. I've called around and most quoted me about 230euros. That is an exhorbitant amount... I am assuming and hoping that catching a cab from the port of Piraeus to the Acropolis and a cab from The Plaka back to the port of Piraeus would save us a bundle of money.

I've read quite a bit on this board and the walk from The Plaka to the Acropolis (although not far) in the heat can be treacherous.

I've also read that there's is a small tram that goes around the Plaka but the question is does it reach the gate of the Acropolis?

Any help or feedback from anyone would help tremendously... Thank you:confused:

We used Paul of Greektaxi. We had 3 kids and seniors for a larger party of 11. We added 4 more tourshares, so no questions we were doing private. The total cost for using Paul and his larger bus was cheaper than any of the ship tours but not as cheap as the walk to train then walk/train/taxi to each site. If you are talking about Greektaxi they are a private driver service not your typical "taxi" Our driver Dimitri was fun, shared history, pointed out sights, taught us greek. It was dreadfully hot, it was nice we got dropped pretty much as close as you can to all our stops. Others are correct the driver can't leave the vehicle and hiring a guide at the acropolis may be an addtional 90-100 euros you'll want to spend. The good news euro exchange is down. All depends on what your budget and agenda is. If I was to do it again, I'd go private if I wanted to see a lot in the middle of summer.

Good luck and hipe things clear up for you before your cruise

We are using Paul and have a larger group as well (16 will be in the mini-bus). We opted for the full day licensed guide as as it was only 60 euros more than a guide just for the Acropolis. Same reasons for us that you chose. I think the whole day is $70 per person, excluding entrance fees and lunch. Maybe DIY would be a little cheaper. It's hard to believe it would be much cheaper. Cab fare alone isn't cheap.

Thank you so much wdmtraveler. Athens is a confusing port. Most Taxi drivers, as everyone on this board knows, are not tour guides. Basically, they pick you up and drop you off. We want to do the Acropolis and The Plaka. We really don't need a driver to walk around the streets with us. I've called around and most quoted me about 230euros. That is an exhorbitant amount... I am assuming and hoping that catching a cab from the port of Piraeus to the Acropolis and a cab from The Plaka back to the port of Piraeus would save us a bundle of money.

I've read quite a bit on this board and the walk from The Plaka to the Acropolis (although not far) in the heat can be treacherous.

I've also read that there's is a small tram that goes around the Plaka but the question is does it reach the gate of the Acropolis?

Any help or feedback from anyone would help tremendously... Thank you:confused:

I would strongly suggest taking a taxi.

The driver should use the meter ,but he will want to charge you about 25.

Haggle and try to get him down to 20 at least.

IF he uses the meter from the port, it should read 15 euro to the Acropolis.

You want to be dropped off at the Acropolis at the DIONYSOS RESTAURANT ,at the end of Robertou Galli street.

This is the closest a car can get to the Acropolis.

Its right across from the entrance really,and where all the tour buses stop.

Its called the happy train.Its a hokey kind of thing but works great if you do not want to walk.It goes right outside the acropolis entrance ,but I do not think you can get on there.The tour starts at Syndagma square, right in front of Mcdonalds.

The fastest way of getting there is to the Acropolis Museum metro station.The station is located right under the museum.Cost is one euro.Take the RED line towards AIGALEO.Get off at the next station( SYNDAGMA) and go up to the square.The McDonalds is located at the lower square on the right hand side.Cant miss it.

This its a tour kind of thing.

http://www.sunshine-express.gr/Welcome_Page.htm

I would strongly suggest taking a taxi.

The driver should use the meter ,but he will want to charge you about 25.

Haggle and try to get him down to 20 at least.

IF he uses the meter from the port, it should read 15 euro to the Acropolis.

You want to be dropped off at the Acropolis at the DIONYSOS RESTAURANT ,at the end of Robertou Galli street.

This is the closest a car can get to the Acropolis.

Its right across from the entrance really,and where all the tour buses stop.

Its called the happy train.Its a hokey kind of thing but works great if you do not want to walk.It goes right outside the acropolis entrance ,but I do not think you can get on there.The tour starts at Syndagma square, right in front of Mcdonalds.

The fastest way of getting there is to the Acropolis Museum metro station.The station is located right under the museum.Cost is one euro.Take the RED line towards AIGALEO.Get off at the next station( SYNDAGMA) and go up to the square.The McDonalds is located at the lower square on the right hand side.Cant miss it.

This its a tour kind of thing.

http://www.sunshine-express.gr/Welcome_Page.htm

Manurules you are fantastic...Thank you so much for the info. Giving me the closest location to the entrance of The Acropolis is superbe. I am prepared for cab drivers taking advantage of us but I think it will beat paying 230 euros a day.

I am sure we will be able to walk down to the Plaka but it's nice to know the metro isn't too far.

Thank you for the link to the "happy train". That's what I was looking for. In your experience, is it hard to get a cab in Athens? Can you hail them anywhere or do they have taxi stands?

Thanks again for your help....:)

NO ,its easy to get a taxi back to the ship.

As a matter of fact the largest taxi stand in Athens is at Syndagma square right in front of,you guest it, McDonalds.

This is where the tour ends and an easy place to find no matter which way you wonder off.

Taxis will know you are tourists and will "prefer you",as a customer.

Its a very busy place.

Give yourself at least 1 and 1/2 hour or more for making it back to the ship.

The ride back will only take about 1/2 hour ,but make sure you give yourself extra time.

I am assuming you will be heading back around 2 pm or so,and this is the time many drivers like to get off work

and go home to eat and rest a couple hours,which means less drivers are available and most of those going home are likely

to seek customers that are heading towards their neighborhood.

You should be ok.

A correction: the red line is the only one available at the museum station ,any way.

And the previous post should read take the train going to "AGIOS ANTONIOS",

Be careful since the other direction reads AGIOS DIMITRIOS.

The Aigaleo train does not even go through there,sorry.

NO ,its easy to get a taxi back to the ship.

As a matter of fact the largest taxi stand in Athens is at Syndagma square right in front of,you guest it, McDonalds.

This is where the tour ends and an easy place to find no matter which way you wonder off.

Taxis will know you are tourists and will "prefer you",as a customer.

Its a very busy place.

Give yourself at least 1 and 1/2 hour or more for making it back to the ship.

The ride back will only take about 1/2 hour ,but make sure you give yourself extra time.

I am assuming you will be heading back around 2 pm or so,and this is the time many drivers like to get off work

and go home to eat and rest a couple hours,which means less drivers are available and most of those going home are likely

to seek customers that are heading towards their neighborhood.

You should be ok.

A correction: the red line is the only one available at the museum station ,any way.

And the previous post should read take the train going to "AGIOS ANTONIOS",

Be careful since the other direction reads AGIOS DIMITRIOS.

The Aigaleo train does not even go through there,sorry.

Once again, Thank you manurules for the valuable information. I never thought about the cabs going home for a siesta, makes a lot of sense. Our ship leaves at 6:00pm. I thought we would head back between 2:30 or 3:00pm. I'll probably have to tweak the time schedule a bit.

Sounds, like we'll probably not need the metro but we'll keep the info handy.:)

I would not start looking for a cab earlier than 4pm.Just make sure the driver takes you to the correct side of the port.The cruise ships usually use AKTI MIAOULI ,which means MIAOULI COAST.

IF your cruise ship is there, and it should be,the easiest way to know if you are going the right way ,is that the water should be on your right hand side after you hit the port and start driving along the water.

Copy the following and do a Google search from your browser,and check out the map.

This is the address of an HSBC bank right in front of the cruise terminal.

Ακτή Μιαούλη 93, Πειραιάς 18538, Greece

I would not start looking for a cab earlier than 4pm.Just make sure the driver takes you to the correct side of the port.The cruise ships usually use AKTI MIAOULI ,which means MIAOULI COAST.

IF your cruise ship is there, and it should be,the easiest way to know if you are going the right way ,is that the water should be on your right hand side after you hit the port and start driving along the water.

Copy the following and do a Google search from your browser,and check out the map.

This is the address of an HSBC bank right in front of the cruise terminal.

Ακτή Μιαούλη 93, Πειραιάς 18538, Greece

Once again, Thank you soooo much. I have copied all your information in my folder. I will google the map right now.

Looking forward to our trip....

Thank you, you have been very helpful.....;)

We were on the NCL Gem which was in Athens May 4,2010. Please read all the recent threads before you decide to go on your own. We had Paul and he was all we needed as a guide. We had 5 couples from our roll call and we each paid 160 E plus tip. We paid for our own lunch (25E each couple with beer) at the Plaka. Plus we paid for entrance fees. Be aware the gov. in Athens delayed our exit from the ship by 2 hours. Then when we returned there was a huge delay as the gov. had one line to check us back on the ship. We had to hand over our passports on the ship the day before. We saw almost everything we wanted to, but it was Paul who avoided the protests and got us around. We all remarked how hard going on our own would have been!The people who used the ship's excursion in Athens were happy with their tour also.

This summer I would be reluctant to DIY Athens, esp. with children. But, maybe that's just me.

6 of us found that Paul of athenstaxi was an extremely informative driver/"guide" 2 years ago. His son also had another tour with some friends who were equally pleased. Traffic, which can be hectic, was navigated with ease and timed perfectly for the Changing of the Guards, which your children would probably enjoy..esp. the colorful uniforms and "high stepping" march they do.

We just returned from a May 3 sailing and used Paul's service. Our guide was Nicholas as we had 12 people in a minibus. Service was great and he really knew how to get us in and out just before the large bus tours arrived. It was a really great day even in the midst of all the protests.

We used George's the Famous Taxi Driver's son Billy who drives larger vans and mini-buses for larger groups for a private tour. Paid 800 euros for 17 people, this did not include admissions or lunch and we selected what we wanted to see. We were 17 adults most 60+ age with some walking problems, so I knew we needed good transportation.

We were met at the pier by Billy and his guide Pepe at 8:00 am. First of all we were there on the weekend so no traffic jams or protests. Greeks don't protest on weekends. AHe go us to the Athens in 1/2 hr in an air-conditioned 21 seat mini-van. Along the way Pepe told us about the area of Greece some quick history and what we were going to see that day.

Got to the Acropolis before the buses and was given an excellent history and information about the area by Pepe. We later went to the museum and Pepe was with us the whole time describing what we were seeing. She suggested we eat some light lunch in the museum because prices were better there than in the Plaka. Stopped at the Plaka for shopping and other goodies. Billy met us with t he van and took us to watch the changing of the guard and other significant buildings in Athens on our way back to the ship while Pepe was describing the history and style.

Our group thought that this was one of the better private tours that I arranged. I will say that my neice who is 30 yrs. old would have rather gone on her own and taken pictures, but every one enjoyed Billy's personality and Pepe's knowledge.

We got back to the

I think we've decided to take the taxi back and forth into the city and then do the DIY since we are really mostly interested in the acropolis and sites that are on the pedestrian promenade.

I guess we have been somewhat apprehensive about trying to join with other folks on a private tour for fear that our kids would drive them crazy, or conversely that we might find ourselves with folks that perhaps might be pushy or just not a good fit. So... a question: Have your experiences with tour sharing been uniformly positive? Are you picky about who you sign up with?

Any recommendations for knowledgeable drivers OTHER than Paul of Greek taxi? He has already been claimed by a large roll call group :rolleyes: on our day in Athens.

Also, are there any Athens taxi/tour services where the drivers are also guides? We want to do a private tour for 3 (not interested in sharing with the roll call on some bus) either where the driver-guide can accompany us into the sites, or we can have a guide to explain the sites in more detail. Any info on what the cost would be for this?

Archived