Do you tip the head waiter?? Just curious

I was reading some tip thread and it prompted me to ask this question. I always wanted to know. Out of all the people listed on who to tip, I never even met the head waiter and was just wondering. I know they all work on tips, not sure of the head waiter if he gets a salary or not, I always tip as supposed to and sometimes more, was just curious on everyone's views on this. Thanks.

The Head Waiters are on salary and therefore the guidelines for tipping are far less than the Waiters and Assistant Waiters. It is really at your discretion to tip more than the suggested amount if he/she provided exceptional service.

We have been very fortunate as our head waiter has always been visable and very helpful on all our cruises. Maybe because of our kids. each and every night the head waiter would come to our table as our food was being set down and one by one he would cut up the kids food as we enjoyed our dinner while it was hot. Our last cruise we were sailing with my mother who has a severe allergy and the head waiter came out before each meal to go over what she ordered (she filled out a form each night to what she wanted for the next night).

we tipped because we were on pre pay gratuities but didn't get any service from him, he visited table twice in 10 days for less than a minute each time, if we were tipping at end of cruise he woulnd't have got any , would rather have given extra to our waiters.

I don't believe I have ever tipped the head waiter. A friend I was traveling did once. She had recently begun dating a Greek gentleman and the Greek head waiter taught her some Greek phrases. In her shoes, I'd have tipped extra as well. Generally, all the head waiter does is walk by and ask if everything is okay. That makes it kind of difficult to give the impression of having gone above and beyond.

We had a wonderful head waiter on our last cruise (Emerald Princess) and he was attentive and graced our table each night. We gave him an extra tip as he was over and above his duties. I think it depends on the service that you receive from him (or her). Tips should we welcomed, not expected, for good service. Only once in 21 cruises did we ever have a waiter that did not live up to his service. He was going home on our last day and had no interest in us or our table mates. We did comment to the head waiter and I know that he was spoken to, he did not speak to us on most nights, except for the last. It was too bad for him. The assistant waiter was great!!!

Yes. These threads pop up from time to time and point out the misconceptions that most people have about the head waiter. I don't know about their salary. I assume it is not very much, or there would not be suggested tipping. The $0.75pp per day is probably as much or more than the waiters, because a head waiter is responsible for a whole crew of waiters, and therefore is getting that $0.75pp from several times as many people.

Anyway, the head waiter's main job is to supervise that wait staff and help with any problems that come up. So, if you have great service, it probably means you have a good head waiter, helping to make sure his/her staff is providing great service. In my experience, they usually do visit their tables from time to time, but that is not really the main "service" that they provide. If I get good service, and RCCL says that a $0.75/day gratuity to the head waiter is appropriate for good service, then I'm fine with that.

My first several cruises the only time I saw the head waiter was just prior to the final day to ask how everything was going. We tipped nothing to them on those trips. The last cruise on the Explorer we were aided several times by the Head Waiter, and he continued to follow up with us nightly on how everything was going. He received more than the suggested tip.

I assume they are compensated as a Manager would be and I don't feel preasure to tip them.

On our last cruise we had the envelope already with tip enclosed and we asked our waiter to have the head waiter come to our table. He didn't so we walked away with is tip in our pocket. We didn't see the head waiter the whole cruise so we didn't even know who he was to track him down ourselves.

As someone else said, I have my tips added automatically. I assumed the OP was asking if we tip extra. I often tip extra to staff who I feel went above and beyond, like my waitstaff or my room steward. I've never given EXTRA to the head waiter.

I don't believe I have ever tipped the head waiter. A friend I was traveling did once. She had recently begun dating a Greek gentleman and the Greek head waiter taught her some Greek phrases. In her shoes, I'd have tipped extra as well. Generally, all the head waiter does is walk by and ask if everything is okay. That makes it kind of difficult to give the impression of having gone above and beyond.

The majority of the head waiter's job is behind the scenes. He is usually in the galley making sure that the waiters and assistant waiters are doing their jobs. He also will help out, if needed, in the dining area. Some people complain about never seeing the head waiter. The fact is, if you don't see your head waiter, it's because he has done his job. He has managed his staff without being seen.

Yes, we always tip the head waiter.

Only once have we NOT tipped him....we never saw him, didn't know who he was, and he NEVER came to our table...not even on the last evening when tips were being handed out...therefore, no tip! We had his envelope, but he never appeared! SML3 must have had the same headwaiter we did!

Don't confuse the head waiter with the maitre'd. There are several headwaiters in the dining room, each in charge of a specific section of the room. He, or she, generally will visit your table several times during the cruise to see if you are being well-served, if there are any special services you might require, and to offer information about things that may be happening later in the evening or just to make general conversation. They usually wear red jackets. Some are more personable than others and some will help out the waiters and assistant waiters if they are especially busy serving their guests.

I always tip the head waiter but I can't remember one instance where we've received service from him. On ou last cruise, he cut up my daughters steak on day 6...it just seemed so contrived.

I think on our next cruise I won't tip him unless he actually helps us out with something. I think the extra money should be reserved for your waitstaff team if they deserve it.

It totally depends on the head waiter & the service I've received..on my last cruise the head waiter was at our table every night...but he had zero personalitly...he'd ask how everything was, but was walking away as you were answering him...the service by our waitstaff wasn't that great either..we were always one of the last tables to get out of the dining room...so I didn't feel he had done a very good job training his staff either..so no tip for him...

It's suggested and we do especially considering it is the head waiter that typically handles my special meals due to a life threatening food allergy. I hate that I have to be somewhat of a pain in the ass so I try to show my appreciation with cash.

It depends on what he does. On the last cruise (on Celebrity), he was at our table every night because we were vegetarian. He brought the next night's menu and asked, "What can I make for you tomorrow?" We had several dishes that were not on the menu. He was tipped very well.

On another cruise, he did almost nothing. Tips were all in cash. I had an envelope for him with $1, but he never came by the table on the last night.

Those are the two extremes.

Head waiters are thier to manage other waiters. Thier job is to make sure that you get your food, all your requests are granted and that your waiter/waitress treats you right. So not seeing them means they are doing what they are supposed to do and thats making sure you have the best service/expierence you can possibly have.

Adri :)

We have had head waiters that have ranged from excellent to nonexistant. We generally prepay so regardless of if we see them or not they are tipped. As others have said they may not be visible but they do a lot of behind the scenes stuff you do not see.

Thanks all, never saw it from that point of view. and yes I think I am confusing it with the Maitre'd. all cruises that I have been on except the last suggested you tip the Maitre'd which I never met. I think last cruise is the only one I saw head waiter listed. Thank you.

Yes...........and NO. On our first RCCL cruise, we never saw him, had no idea which of the red-jacketed head waiters was ours....until the last night when he oozed over and was hugely oleaginous.............

Tip envelope stayed firmly in my pocket.

One our subsequent cruises, the Head Waiter was friendliness itself, and very helpful, and even greeted us when we encountered him around the ship. He deserved, and got, his tip

The Head Waiters are on salary and therefore the guidelines for tipping are far less than the Waiters and Assistant Waiters. It is really at your discretion to tip more than the suggested amount if he/she provided exceptional service.

I'm not sure that is correct. While their base pay from RCI may be more than what waiters receive, I believe that the guidelines that suggest a lower amount reflects the fact that they are responsible for many more guests than the waiters or assistant waiters and that $0.75 per person/per night suggested tip, when multiplied by the number of guests they take care of, therefore works out to more than the $3.50 pp/pd does for the waiters.:)

Archived