Are small fans and extension cords FORBIDDEN items on Celebrity?

Tom-n-Cheryl

Recently Carnival has stated that items such as fans, extension cords, power strips, (etc...) are restricted items, and will be confiscated from your carry on or checked luggage. Other than a vague "hazard/safety" excuse, there is not a real reason given (yes, sometimes I prefer to know WHY)!

We bring a fan and sound machine which are very helpful in drowning out noise from the hallway or neighboring cabins when we are sleeping. If we don't sleep well due to noise, then no matter how nice the cruise might be, it won't be pretty! :eek:

I wonder if some bean counter has determined that by eliminating these items across the fleet, they will save umpteen $'s per year thanks to reduced electrical consumption. If so that's cheap, IMHO!

Are there similar inane restrictions on Celebrity? :confused:

Tom

Recently Carnival has stated that items such as fans, extension cords, power strips, (etc...) are restricted items, and will be confiscated from your carry on or checked luggage. Other than a vague "hazard/safety" excuse, there is not a real reason given (yes, sometimes I prefer to know WHY)!

We bring a fan and sound machine which are very helpful in drowning out noise from the hallway or neighboring cabins when we are sleeping. If we don't sleep well due to noise, then no matter how nice the cruise might be, it won't be pretty! :eek:

I wonder if some bean counter has determined that by eliminating these items across the fleet, they will save umpteen $'s per year thanks to reduced electrical consumption. If so that's cheap, IMHO!

Are there similar inane restrictions on Celebrity? :confused:

Tom

Tom: Actually... there is no "across the fleet" here. Carnival Corp is a separate entitiy entirely from Celebrity (which is owned by Royal Caribbean).

I've been witness to the uproar over on the Carnival board about the "fan-ban", but I highly doubt you'll find that dust-up here. :eek: JMHO.

Tom: Actually... there is no "across the fleet" here. Carnival Corp is a separate entitiy entirely from Celebrity (which is owned by Royal Caribbean).

I've been witness to the uproar over on the Carnival board about the "fan-ban", but I highly doubt you'll find that dust-up here. :eek: JMHO.

Thanks. I am familiar with what ships are under which umbrella. My "across the fleet" comment was intended to come from one of their bean counters (speaking about THEIR fleet). My trying Celebrity and (soon) NCL is specifically because they are not Carnival owned. I have not been very pleased of late with the way Carnival treats past guests. It's almost like they really don't care if I become a PAST guest! :eek: ;)

Tom

I don't think you have to worry about that on Celebrity. We have to bring our extension cords/power strips when they don't provide enough outlets for all your gadgets. I think you will LOVE Celebrity. We certainly do. It's now our favorite line.

I don't think you have to worry about that on Celebrity. We have to bring our extension cords/power strips when they don't provide enough outlets for all your gadgets. I think you will LOVE Celebrity. We certainly do. It's now our favorite line.

The Solstice will be our 5th (and first as Elite :)) Celebrity sailing. We definitely enjoy their product. It's great not having announcements for BINGO and "inch of gold" sales all the time... and full breakfast on the balcony can't be beat!!

Hopefully NCL and Celebrity won't catch a whiff of what Carnival is doing, and try to join the bandwagon!

Tom

We always bring a small fan for the cabin. We can plug it in or it can run on 4 d-cells. We've never needed an extension cord before. I'll send you (Tom) an email and let you know where the outlets are before you sail.:D

We always bring a small fan for the cabin. We can plug it in or it can run on 4 d-cells. We've never needed an extension cord before. I'll send you (Tom) an email and let you know where the outlets are before you sail.:D

Thanks - and take care of "our" cabin!! :D

Tom

I was on the Mercury in December and was called down to the naughty room to be there while my suitcase was opened because they saw something inside and didnt know what it was, it was a small electric fan.

They didn't say it was banned and while there I looked over the list of items removed it was nothing compared to kitchen knives and switch blades that were found in over 10 suitcases.

Jennifer

Kitchen knives and switchblades?? I guess I understand the swtichblades, you never know when the Jets and the Sharks may end up on the same cruise and have to 'carve out turf', but kitchen knives??? Don't we get enough to eat with the 7 square meals a day without 'dicing somehing up' in the cabin?

I'd love to be part of Security as they have to go through the things we think we need to bring on a cruise.

Solstice seemed to have more outlets than M-Class, but an extenstion is always handy.

Denny

I MUST carry an extension cord...

I was recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and prescribed to sleep using a "CPAP" machine...

For those unfamiliar, it is a small electric air pump connected to a hose to a mask which covers the nose and forces air in through the nostrils preventing the user from stopping breathing during sleep...

The thing needs to be located on the nightstand...obviously...

Unfortunately, every cruise cabin we've been in only has electrical outlets on the wall OPPSITE the bed...

Since I have been using this, we have cruised on both Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas and on Celebrity Summit...I have brought the CPAP AND an extension cord on both cruises and have not even been questioned either time...

They do ban irons...But, extension cords are often necessary...

That said, I really wish they'd design the cabins with an available outlet near the bed!!

I was recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and prescribed to sleep using a "CPAP" machine...

For those unfamiliar, it is a small electric air pump connected to a hose to a mask which covers the nose and forces air in through the nostrils preventing the user from stopping breathing during sleep...

Unfortunately, every cruise cabin we've been in only has electrical outlets on the wall OPPSITE the bed...

Since I have been using this, we have cruised on both Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas and on Celebrity Summit...I have brought the CPAP AND an extension cord on both cruises and have not even been questioned either time...

That said, I really wish they'd design the cabins with an available outlet near the bed!!

Within just a few days of the new policy (w/Carnival), they had to add a clause which excludes (allows for) items which are necessary for medical purposes.

Without 3-4 outlets, we would be (almost) back in the stone age! :D

Tom

Here is the info about what is NOT allowed directly from the Celebrity website:

What not to Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

• *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

• Illegal Drugs & Substances

• Candles & Incense

• Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

• Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

• Skateboards & Surfboards

• Martial Arts Gear

• Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

• Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

• HAM Radios

• Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

• **Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

Hopefully this is still accurate :)

What not to Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Candles & Incense

• Martial Arts Gear

• HAM Radios

• **Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

Thanks!

We are doing a HAL cruise 4 nights repo May 10th & a Celebrity Millennium 7 night out of Vancouver .I phoned both HAL & Celebrity Captains Club . I asked about a power strip .They both said no problem. It is only Carnival restricting this item . Makes it a lot easier for us with camera batteries , power hair trimer & cell phone powering ;because of the lack of outlets .

Are cork screws allowed?

Funny you should ask... When we went through security for our 4/22/10 Century sailing (not even carrying on any wine!) they picked up something in Cheryl's carry on bag. We went over to a table where they emptied it fully and found nothing. Back through the xray (empty this time) and they spotted something again - back to the table, and he started going down in nooks and crannies (under the liner). There he found a small (3-4") CELEBRITY corkscrew! We were told it was not allowed, as it could be a weapon. I said "what about the steak knives they give you onboard"? :rolleyes:

This is our post-911 world! (We are lucky that they don't require strip searches with body cavity checks yet) :eek:

Tom

My DW also has Sleep Apnea and requires the CPAP machine. We have a cabin with the bed close to the bathroom and she sleeps on the side closer to the bathroom. From your experience, what length extension cord would you take with you? Did the tiny night tables present any problem for the machine?

Thanks,

Wayne

What not to Pack

• Candles & Incense

• Martial Arts Gear

• HAM Radios

• **Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

How much is the corkage fee on Celebriy?

From your experience, what length extension cord would you take with you? Did the tiny night tables present any problem for the machine?

About 10'...the width of the typical cabin...

Small nightstand not a problem...On my unit, I can detach the main air pump from the humidifier and just leave the humidifier at home...so the unit is quite small and doesn't have to be level...

I keep a 9 foot extension cord in my CPAP travel bag. I often need it in hotel rooms where the plugs behind the beds are not accessible or full or both. That is enough to reach across the cabin in S-class ships.

Sleep apnea is the most under recognized disease in the US and is probably the second leading cause of car accidents after alcohol. As more people end up on CPAP, I hope hotel decorators and cruise ship designers begin to put outlets near the beds. It will help with cell phone chargers as well.

There are nice travel power strips that include USB outlets that fit in luggage well. I always take one also.

We agree! Kenneth also has a machine...and we started carrying our own extension cord several years ago...just easier than having to ask the room attendant for one! And you're right..most of the time the cord has to cross the room to reach the night-stand...and that can be dangerous at night..several times we have been able to "snake it" across, under the balcony door and I have used some "sticky" type product (looks like blue gum!) to keep it in place..hope you are feeling more rested now that you are sleeping better!! LuAnn

Archived