Bermuda and Mopeds / Scooters

Likethesearchengine

Renting a Moped or Scooter on Bermuda is a common way to get around the island. Many argue that it is too dangerous. What do you think? The point of this thread is to have a discussion about the pros and cons of renting scooters on the island, not to recommend that people rent them.

Despite the risks, I continue to rent a scooter when I go to Bermuda, because I have a lot of fun whilst traveling from place to place. I have never used the bus - I have decided I will try it for one day this month when I am there, and compare.

First some anecdotes:

They're not for everyone: when I went there to be married (my wife's mother and aunts grew up in Bermuda), a number of the guests rented scooters. 4 couples or singles had an absolute blast and will definitely rent scooters if they ever go again.

One couple (early 30s) returned theirs, because they found it too stressful and dangerous.

One relative (also our travel agent, 60s?) had an accident - she lost control - and was injured with cuts and a fracture, I believe.

On the next trip, I saw a moped rider and passenger almost have a horrible accident. They turned right and slipped into the right lane as was natural for them. We tried to warn them by honking and motioning for them to change lanes, but the passenger somehow couldn't figure out what we were saying. They came up to a blind curve, at the same time as an oncoming truck, but a combination of the truck driver's caution and the scooter driver's luck avoided a collision.

Next, some statistics based on the sparse information I have been able to gather... I can't vouch for accuracy.

The US has roughly 300,000,000 residents, and Bermuda has roughly 60,000. The US has 43,000 traffic deaths, where the all time high I have been able to gather about Bermuda is 17. That means that you are twice as likely to die in a traffic accident in Bermuda than in the United States. If we assume that 1993 *percentages* hold true, then visitors are about 6 times as likely to be in an accident than residents, while only a little more likely to suffer a serious injury.

There are two problems with the above comparison - one is that it neglects the tourism industry of either country. Some 600,000 people visit Bermuda yearly, which of course will change the accident ratio somewhat. The other is that it assumes traffic accident rates in the US are constant, while I would assume that you will have more fatal accidents on the Capitol Beltway than on Main Street of a small town. Still, I don't think those problems would change the fact that a tourist motorist in Bermuda is more likely to be hurt or killed than a motorist in the US.

My thoughts:

I understand that riding a scooter in Bermuda dangerous, but I don't think I will refrain from doing it. I really appreciate the freedom that I have by scooting from beach to beach. I feel like there are lots of dangerous things that people do while on vacation, and that anytime you mix in hurried motorists, your danger level will rise. My guess is that the majority of serious scooter accidents occur because people don't remember to look right for oncoming traffic and forget to stay on the left side of the road. Since I have never had a problem remembering to do these things, I feel that the danger is not exorbitant.

Renting a Moped or Scooter on Bermuda is a common way to get around the island. Many argue that it is too dangerous. What do you think? The point of this thread is to have a discussion about the pros and cons of renting scooters on the island, not to recommend that people rent them.

Despite the risks, I continue to rent a scooter when I go to Bermuda, because I have a lot of fun whilst traveling from place to place. I have never used the bus - I have decided I will try it for one day this month when I am there, and compare.

First some anecdotes:

They're not for everyone: when I went there to be married (my wife's mother and aunts grew up in Bermuda), a number of the guests rented scooters. 4 couples or singles had an absolute blast and will definitely rent scooters if they ever go again.

One couple (early 30s) returned theirs, because they found it too stressful and dangerous.

One relative (also our travel agent, 60s?) had an accident - she lost control - and was injured with cuts and a fracture, I believe.

On the next trip, I saw a moped rider and passenger almost have a horrible accident. They turned right and slipped into the right lane as was natural for them. We tried to warn them by honking and motioning for them to change lanes, but the passenger somehow couldn't figure out what we were saying. They came up to a blind curve, at the same time as an oncoming truck, but a combination of the truck driver's caution and the scooter driver's luck avoided a collision.

Next, some statistics based on the sparse information I have been able to gather... I can't vouch for accuracy.

The US has roughly 300,000,000 residents, and Bermuda has roughly 60,000. The US has 43,000 traffic deaths, where the all time high I have been able to gather about Bermuda is 17. That means that you are twice as likely to die in a traffic accident in Bermuda than in the United States. If we assume that 1993 *percentages* hold true, then visitors are about 6 times as likely to be in an accident than residents, while only a little more likely to suffer a serious injury.

There are two problems with the above comparison - one is that it neglects the tourism industry of either country. Some 600,000 people visit Bermuda yearly, which of course will change the accident ratio somewhat. The other is that it assumes traffic accident rates in the US are constant, while I would assume that you will have more fatal accidents on the Capitol Beltway than on Main Street of a small town. Still, I don't think those problems would change the fact that a tourist motorist in Bermuda is more likely to be hurt or killed than a motorist in the US.

My thoughts:

I understand that riding a scooter in Bermuda dangerous, but I don't think I will refrain from doing it. I really appreciate the freedom that I have by scooting from beach to beach. I feel like there are lots of dangerous things that people do while on vacation, and that anytime you mix in hurried motorists, your danger level will rise. My guess is that the majority of serious scooter accidents occur because people don't remember to look right for oncoming traffic and forget to stay on the left side of the road. Since I have never had a problem remembering to do these things, I feel that the danger is not exorbitant.

For some people driving "on the wrong side of the road" is too much for them to handle. Making turns is difficult for some because they revert back to the "right" side of the road leaving them facing oncoming traffic.

Alcohol also comes into play a pitcher of rum swizzles at the swizzle inn can be very dangerous if you are drinking and driving, again you can become disoriented and wind up on the wrong side of the road.

For others it is easy to drive on the left. Either they have done it before while traveling or they are very conscious drivers.

I think the decision remains personal based on your comfort level and driving ability. I am happy either way.

Laura

You have opened a can of worms. I hope the Bermudians who post here show up with their list of pros and cons from their perspective.

Here are mine.;)

Pro: You have the freedom to go where and when you want.

Con: You risk injury and even death.

I would also appreciate some advice about whether it is easier/safer to moped in certain areas as opposed to others ie: Hamilton = not easy due to traffic and round-a-bouts.

I am specifically interested in knowing what the conditions would be like to and from the Dockyard and Horseshoe Bay Beach.

Your stats on US deaths and Bermuda deaths are skewed because there are effectively no scooters in the USA.

If there were the same proportional number there would be 100,000 plus deaths on US roads.

A scooter NEVER fares well in an accident.

I won't be renting one when I visit, and I lived in the Bahamas and have no problem driving on the 'wrong" side of the road. :D

Here is a picture of the police car and one of the nice policemen who drove us back to the Dockyard after our scooter accident. We were on Somerset Road about 15 minutes from the ship. It could have been worse and the picture would have been of the ambulance driver taking us to the hopsital or worse, the morgue! It was a freak accident that I have posted the detail on before so I will not get into them but after this, as much freedom as you think you have (and it is nice when it works out in your favor) I think I will take the bus from now on. IMG_6628.JPG

For some people driving "on the wrong side of the road" is too much for them to handle. Making turns is difficult for some because they revert back to the "right" side of the road leaving them facing oncoming traffic.

My wife and I rented a scooter in June '09. We were there for a week and the scooter was great to have. I was determined to stay safe and have over 20 years experience driving a motorcycle in the U.S. (on and off-road). The week went well. It was especially fun to drive along the south road stopping at all the beaches.

Driving on the left wasn't too hard. The round-abouts (circles) were challenging. The small, hard to find and see road signs at intersections were challenging. Especially unnerving were the narrow, curvy roads and other Bermuda drivers. I wish I had a dollar for every time a driver tail-gated us and/or made a fast, dangerous pass.

Driving on the left wasn't too hard. The round-abouts (circles) were challenging. The small, hard to find and see road signs at intersections were challenging. Especially unnerving were the narrow, curvy roads and other Bermuda drivers. I wish I had a dollar for every time a driver tail-gated us and/or made a fast, dangerous pass.

And that can be a big part of the problem no matter how cautious one thinks they are being. Traffic has increased on the island over the years and locals are just like everyone everywhere these days with a perceived need to get everywhere fast.

Bermuda ( Somers Isles ) is NOT only One Island.

What causes most accidents there on motorized bikes?

The People which handle them do..

So many people think they are the best drivers in the world and even after they cause the accidents they are involved in and/or caused.

As youall know what Alfred E. Neuman said.

On riding the motorbikes.. have youall noticed what the people wear/?\

In Bermuda have you looked what the Roads are made with? The side gutters? The buildings? etc...

Just try sliding your bottoms on it... *OUCH*

Wearing protective clothing whilst riding is a must!

Why drink and drive? Do you do that at home?

Want to save petrol?

Walk. Take mass transit.

Keep Bermuda Green!

I've witnessed too many accidents, heard too many horror stories, and seen too many vacations ruined due to tourists riding motor scooters in Bermuda. I feel tourists should at least have to pass some type of driving test in Bermuda before being allowed to ride them on the island. My feeling is the laws don't exist because the government doesn't want to hurt the scooter businesses. The almighty dollar comes before tourist safety in this case. Bermuda has by far more vehicles per square mile than anywhere else in the world. That is the reason the government only allows one car per household. I've had locals show me their scars from previous scooter accidents, and warn me never to ride them while visiting Bermuda. They're even dangerous for the locals who are familiar with the roads, traffic patterns, etc. Never mind those who are not. I take their advice since I value my health. I would never encourage anyone to ride them when visiting the island. Do a Google search on "Bermuda scooter accidents" and read the stories.

While, I know these would take up so much more room to park, I think that these three wheeled 2 passenger scooters would make so much sense in Bermuda. While people would still have the issues of driving on the left side of the road, at least a crash would be safer...

three-wheeled-2-seat-coupe-scooter.jpg

There's a magic age where scooters are safe on any small island. Old enough to know how to react and young enough to do it.

That age is 29 years and 16 day thru 29 years and 22 days.

If you do not fall into this bracket you may be at increased risk of injury. :D

While, I know these would take up so much more room to park, I think that these three wheeled 2 passenger scooters would make so much sense in Bermuda. While people would still have the issues of driving on the left side of the road, at least a crash would be safer...

three-wheeled-2-seat-coupe-scooter.jpg

Huh?:confused:

You mean this? Maybe more stability but it's still a scooter with no body protection. Rather cute though.;)

5644_17050665706.jpg.

Huh?:confused:

You mean this? Maybe more stability but it's still a scooter with no body protection. Rather cute though.;)

5644_17050665706.jpg.

I think it's a law of mass thing more than stability.

From the link given earlier:

Per vehicle mile traveled in 1999, motorcyclists were about 18 times as likely as passenger car occupants to die in a motor vehicle traffic crash and 3 times as likely to be injured.

My 2 cents on the subject... I have been riding dirt bikes and atv's since I was 9 (that's 30 years) and I have been a licensed street bike rider for the past 20 years... and I would NOT rent a scooter in Bermuda... Of the 5 cruises I have been on, on all 5 there was someone that was injured in an accident. One cruise was even a "motorcycle" cruise where you pay to bring your own bike and the do an organized tour of the island and someone wrecked on that one along with a scooter rental rider... I personally would not do it, however it is your ultimately your decision and you are the one that must live (or die) with the consequences.... just my opinion...

Ask the crew on your ship. What they will tell you is that every cruise someone comes back injured from riding the bikes and on most cruise lines at least once during their sailing season they will have a death...Compare that to any shore excursion the cruise lines send you out on and you will find deaths are rare...I remember on one of my cruises to Bermuda a woman with abrasions on the entire one side of the body from head to toe, especially along the face.

Ask the crew on your ship. What they will tell you is that every cruise someone comes back injured from riding the bikes and on most cruise lines at least once during their sailing season they will have a death...Compare that to any shore excursion the cruise lines send you out on and you will find deaths are rare...I remember on one of my cruises to Bermuda a woman with abrasions on the entire one side of the body from head to toe, especially along the face.

I think that is a bit of an over statement when it comes to tourist scooter deaths. It appears that there is approximately one death per year, though not always. When you have 600,000 people visiting Bermuda a year, the percentages are very small, but obviously people must be very careful.

First some anecdotes: . . . .

My 2 cents on the subject... I have been riding dirt bikes and atv's since I was 9 (that's 30 years) and I have been a licensed street bike rider for the past 20 years... and I would NOT rent a scooter in Bermuda... Of the 5 cruises I have been on, on all 5 there was someone that was injured in an accident. One cruise was even a "motorcycle" cruise where you pay to bring your own bike and the do an organized tour of the island and someone wrecked on that one along with a scooter rental rider... I personally would not do it, however it is your ultimately your decision and you are the one that must live (or die) with the consequences.... just my opinion...

I have been to Bermuda about 8 or 9 times. I don't have any anecdotes, just facts. On each trip to Bermuda, I have seen at least one tourist who was seriously injured on a rented moped. Several were hospitalized and their families left the ship to stay with them. If you decide to rent one, I hope you have travel insurance that covers medical costs and a possible hotel stay for the family (and most hotels in Bermuda are fairly expensive) (but that is a whole other topic).

I think that is a bit of an over statement when it comes to tourist scooter deaths. It appears that there is approximately one death per year, though not always. When you have 600,000 people visiting Bermuda a year, the percentages are very small, but obviously people must be very careful.

As I said, ask the crew, I have and that is the info I got...

The percentage of the 600,000 visitors who ride scooters is also very small. Maybe less than 1% I would guess. Obviously the government has the numbers but I doubt it will ever be publicized. Bad publicity is bad for the tourism business.

The percentage of the 600,000 visitors who ride scooters is also very small. Maybe less than 1% I would guess. Obviously the government has the numbers but I doubt it will ever be publicized. Bad publicity is bad for the tourism business.

Well there are are approximately 1,500 rental scooters on the island. If we imagine that 50% are rented every week, that would be about 35,000 riders a year. Looking at the Royal Gazette, which reports the accidents quite well, there is on average 1 tourist death a year because of scooter accident. Now I am sure there are many more accidents (that do not result in death), but I am just giving you the numbers. I still am in favor of something like the scoot coupe or sun trike.

Scoot Coupe

scoot_coupe_scooter1.jpg

Sun Trike

SUN_Y_trike-01_2.gif

Archived