Whittier?

Momma Mojito

I do know there isn't much to do or see in Whitter, but once you get on the ship, are you able to get off to take a walk... take in the scenery ...take some pictures

Sure. Do you think, someone is not going to allow this?? :)

There's no problem checking in, getting your cruise card, and walking off to see the town. Every time we've been there it's been pouring rain so it wasn't very comfortable walking around.

We stopped at a very small diner for a cup of coffee and a muffin before one of the glacier cruises. All the stores are in a row along the harbor, and you could probably walk the whole area in under a half hour.

The glacier cruises out of Whittier are really nice if you have the time.

You can always go into the apartment tower and knock on doors until someone invites you in for coffee.

Well, seriously Whittier is a very small town.

LOL considering that the residents of Whitter live in two apartment buildings except for a very few private residents out on the edge of town. You have a good point thier.

As far as what to do in Whitter. You can walk around the town, check out the few stores, restaurants, tour places and also thier is a park with a river that goes through it that you can walk to and check it out.

I actually enjoy whitier and think its a cool place. Keep in mind that animals/critters like it as well so if you walk to far off the beaten path well it can be a bit startling.

Adri :)

LOL considering that the residents of Whitter live in two apartment buildings except for a very few private residents out on the edge of town. You have a good point thier.

As far as what to do in Whitter. You can walk around the town, check out the few stores, restaurants, tour places and also thier is a park with a river that goes through it that you can walk to and check it out.

I actually enjoy whitier and think its a cool place. Keep in mind that animals/critters like it as well so if you walk to far off the beaten path well it can be a bit startling.

What kind of animals ?

What kind of animals ?

Bears come to mind right off the bat. I would not suggest trying to go look for them though. Just keep in mind that the Bears who hang around Whitter know its pace and are not shy. So just be careful is all :)

Adri

If you can go on a GLACIER tour on Prince William Sound .WE did with Emerald seas .I loved it .Be sure to dress WARM or bring extra layers ..Gloves hat scarf warm jacket.The wind off the Glacier is nippy

You will see wildlife and icebergs and waterfalls WE went on a sunny day .It was GLORIOUS THey calved for us

We really enjoyed it The Glaciers were truly MAGNIFICENT.AS you can tell I loved Alaska and Yukon!!!

ASk for discount last year we got one

Enjoy

Michele

From all the questions that i have asked, can you tell this is our frist cruise to Alaska?? Any how was also wondering beside watching for the bears....what kind of shops are in Whittier?

Oh boy, this isn't the place to think shopping. :)

IF you have purchases to make, then you need to do this before you get to Whittier.

Cruise ship passengers who visit Whittier are often in a shock. There's really not much there and some cruise lines like to use it because it is closer to Anchorage than Seward.

There are a few small shops along the harbor and in an area called "the triangle" but don't expect much. I know you can get some good food there - the fish and chips at the Swiftwater Cafe are excellent and I love the cream cheese and salmon bagel served at the Lazy Otter. You might be able to pick up a t-shirt or sweatshirt at a few of these shops and the day cruise folks sell souvenirs but that's about it.

A walk of the town will take no more than 30 minutes to a hour (depending on how quickly you step out) and the big attraction in Whittier is a beautiful setting on Passage Canal and those great day cruises into Prince William Sound.

Do a google search for the Whittier Alaska Chamber of Commerce and several sites will come up with information on the place that proudly bills itself as "the strangest little town in Alaska".

Whitter is not the big place for shopping. Thier are a few shops and one thing that is always interesting to find out is that the majority of residents live in two differnt Apartment buildings. Thier are a few residences off the beaten path in the woods but not to many. Thier is a park to walk to that has a pretty river that runs through it. You can pick up a few souviners and get some lunch. See the tunnel that all trains and buses and cars have to go through. You can take a walk if your feeling adventerous and yea thats about it.

Thier are of course a few restaurants and a small store so yea you can get somthing to eat. But whitter is in large part built for transit. The Highway Marine Transportation system aka Alaska ferrys use this as a to and from port. Many fisherman from outlaying areas like Cordova for example use it to refuel and also as a way to take the train/bus to and from Anchorage if they want to and have a need. The cruise ships use it as well. You can take the 26 glacier cruise out of Whitter as well and also thier are other charters one can take. Also a lot of people keep thier boats in whitter who live in Anchorage as its not to far and they can be cruising Prince William sound. Its a wee bit closer then Seward so thier ya go. The town isent really ever going to grow and it is what it is. The only way in and out besides the Ocean is the tunnel and thats it.

From all the questions that i have asked, can you tell this is our frist cruise to Alaska?? Any how was also wondering beside watching for the bears....what kind of shops are in Whittier?

My other suggestion would be not to watch the bears to closely they get itchy when people do that. Ok just kidding about them getting itcy lol :)

Adri

Thanks again everyone... I really wasn't planning on doing my Christmas shopping there when I asked what kind of shops were in Whittier...just curious ...

for shops; think of a one stall wooden garage circa 1940's. That would be the average size of a place of business in Whittier.

If you head out of the terminal and turn right at the sidewalk, (away from town) you will find it turns into a nice multiuse path. (bike/pedestrian) the path continues past the whittier "airport" http://www.airnav.com/airport/PAWR and nearly back to the tunnel. It's a nice stroll in good weather and might be a good way to stretch your legs and unwind after being stuck in a small aluminum tube with 150 of your closest friends.

Archived