Space saver bags?

Anyone use these in their suitcases? I have a box of travel space bags around here somewhere that I've never used for fear of wrinkles or odd plastic smells, but I'm thinking this year since it's our longest cruise, I may need to save some space.

Has anyone used these and have they worked well??

DS gave us some for Christmas and I think they're great. I can't really comment about wrinkles, a few wrinkles don't bother me and I try to buy clothes that are pretty much wrinkle resistant. I certainly haven't noticed that my clothes are very wrinkly after I've unpacked.

And I can get a LOT into one space bag, I was really impressed ... gives me lots of room in my suitcase! You still have to be careful of the overall weight, though.

The sizes I have are small, medium and large. I haven't used the large one, the dimensions are too big for my suitcase (and my suitcase is one of those giant ones!)

Also, the instructions imply that you can fill the bags, close them, and then simply squeeze out the air with your hands. I can't do that, I have to put the bag on a firm surface and sit on it, bounce up & down a couple of times, to flatten it out.

For our longer cruise next January I'm going to get one or two more of the bags in small & medium.

edited to add: no smells

With careful packing you should have no problem filling a normal checked suitcase with 50 pounds of clothing without this aid unless you are packing a lot of bulky items like sweaters.

Shak

i had the travel ones several cruises ago...used but didnt like...added weight-and when i was getting the air out tore....the last 2 cruises i used the bigger 2.5 gallon ziplock bags for daily things and LOVED em...makes packing and unpacking very easy...i use dry-cleaning bags for the DRESS clothes...EVERYTHING is pretty much the way i put them in to pack...little or no wrinkles:)

Also, the instructions imply that you can fill the bags, close them, and then simply squeeze out the air with your hands. I can't do that, I have to put the bag on a firm surface and sit on it, bounce up & down a couple of times, to flatten it out.

For our longer cruise next January I'm going to get one or two more of the bags in small & medium.

edited to add: no smells

You may want to be careful about sitting or bouncing up and down on them, you may "pop" the valve and then all you have is an expensive plastic bag. Gently roll the bag if you can't press the air out with it on a flat surface.

I use them for things I don't mind wrinkled. Underwear, bathing suits, pajamas, etc... I have purchased them from Target, they lasted 2 uses, then wouldn't stay deflated. I have a few Eagle Creek bags now and they have been used about 5 times so far, with no leaks.

In the long run, the more expensive Eagle Creek choice is a better value.

I've used them and dont' really like them. Like the other poster mentioned I just switched to the big ziploc bags and they work perfect. I put one complete outfit in each bag and seal it up. I use smaller bags to hold things like necklaces, DH's ties....

When we get there I just take all the bag out and put them on the shelf. Each time I go to get dressed I just have to grab out a bag and I'm all set. Anything that is dressy or wrinkles goes in the backside of the suitcase which is a dress style bag where you can hang things. I cover them in plastic dry cleaner bags or store bags and hang them in the closet when we get there. No wrinkles.

Hate them.

You are able to fit a steamer sized trunk of clothing into a carry on bag but it weights 250 pounds.

Also, everything comes out wrinkled. Even sweaters.

The one time I used them on a trip to Chicago, I purposely left them in the hotel room.

Archived