Wake Up Calls

tsteger

I'm new to Princess, but do they offer a setting for wake up calls? I don't want to have to pack a travel alarm, or pay the cell fees for using my phone.

Yes its computerized through the phone system from your cabin phone.

I would only add that on our last cruise on the last night the system was 'full' and would not accept our wake-up call request. I never knew this to happen before, but it made for a restless night always checking the time. We asked the Purser's desk if they could make a manual call, but they said no. So it might be wise to have some sort of back-up if you have a tight schedule in the morning. Maybe turn on your cell phone late on the last night?

I don't know what kind of phone you have, but if it's one with an "airplane mode", you just turn that on...alarms still work. We used our iphone exclusively for alarms on our trips this year.

Agree with previous poster... not sure how your phones work, but we can set alarms etc without any charges even without setting into "airplane mode". My husband travels on mainland Europe very frequently (in fact, he is currently on his way to Luxembourg), and we have high roaming charges for calls / texts etc, but he uses his phone every day to set his alarm without a single penny charged. We also used the phone for wake up alarms on our Med cruise last year ;)

Please can you explain what you actually get charged for :confused:

I never depend on either the ship's nor any hotel's wake-up call system but rather use it as a back-up. You can use your cell phone even if you've put it into airplane mode, i.e., turned it off completely. However, again I wouldn't depend on this because I found that sometimes, my phone wasn't showing the right time zone. I bring a small, very handy travel alarm from LL Bean, that I absolutely love. Not only is it small and light but the numbers are big and it includes the temperature. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62137?feat=sr&freeText=travelalarm

We used to use the wake up service on the phone, until one cruise it didn't work.
That happened to us, too. We were crossing the International Date Line and someone forgot to reset the clock date. People who requested an early wake-up call the next morning didn't get it, and the next day was a sea day so, of course, that's when they got it. People weren't too happy as quite a few missed tours on one day and wanted to sleep late the next.

I never depend on either the ship's nor any hotel's wake-up call system but rather use it as a back-up. You can use your cell phone even if you've put it into airplane mode, i.e., turned it off completely. However, again I wouldn't depend on this because I found that sometimes, my phone wasn't showing the right time zone. I bring a small, very handy travel alarm from LL Bean, that I absolutely love. Not only is it small and light but the numbers are big and it includes the temperature. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62137?feat=sr&freeText=travelalarm

Thanks for remind me, Pam. I clicked on it, ordered a red clock and put it on my LL Bean

Visa to save shipping. Been meaning to do it forever. I have a Princess alarm clock I

won playing trivia several years ago and worry about leaving it when I travel which

means it sits in a drawer most of the time. It's a memory of a great cruise for me, though.

Mimi

I read a tip in one of the threads that as an alternative, you could arrange for a continental breakfast to be delivered at a specific time on the arrival morning. A nice way to wake up with fresh coffee and delicious pastries, etc.

I read a tip in one of the threads that as an alternative, you could arrange for a continental breakfast to be delivered at a specific time on the arrival morning. A nice way to wake up with fresh coffee and delicious pastries, etc.

That does work, with 2 caveats (or maybe 3):

Room service is delivered in about a 1/2 hour span, so the timing won't be spot on.

You have to not be such a heavy sleeper that you can hear them knock.

Don't forget, in your sleepiness, to grab something to put on before answering the door:eek:

I would only add that on our last cruise on the last night the system was 'full' and would not accept our wake-up call request. I never knew this to happen before, but it made for a restless night always checking the time. We asked the Purser's desk if they could make a manual call, but they said no. So it might be wise to have some sort of back-up if you have a tight schedule in the morning. Maybe turn on your cell phone late on the last night?

i had this happen too, it was 'full' for 7am. i just set it for 6:59am and it was fine. :) i have never had a problem, its always worked for me...knock on wood!

Thanks for remind me, Pam. I clicked on it, ordered a red clock and put it on my LL Bean

Visa to save shipping. Been meaning to do it forever. I have a Princess alarm clock I

won playing trivia several years ago and worry about leaving it when I travel which

means it sits in a drawer most of the time. It's a memory of a great cruise for me, though.

Mimi

Oh, that's such a bummer! I love mine (thanks, Pam, for telling us about them!) but when I ordered it last year, they were out of stock in every good colour so I ended up with a black one but I really wanted red. I'm soooo jealous of your cool red clock!

Oh, that's such a bummer! I love mine (thanks, Pam, for telling us about them!) but when I ordered it last year, they were out of stock in every good colour so I ended up with a black one but I really wanted red. I'm soooo jealous of your cool red clock!
They change the colors and the style. I've got a clear orange one. :)

i had this happen too, it was 'full' for 7am. i just set it for 6:59am and it was fine. :) i have never had a problem, its always worked for me...knock on wood!

Another case where it would have helped if the Purser's desk could have been trained to tell people that this was possible.

Oh, believe me, we tried that tactic too. I spent 30 minutes trying to program alternate times into the phone and kept getting the full message....now I make sure we bring the watch with the manual alarm as a backup.

We bring our travel Ipod dock/alarm clock radio. It charges our two Ipods, two Iphones, wakes us up and is our entertainment. It's small and works great for all afforementioned uses. We also bring a tiny travel alarm we got in Bermuda. I will also set the Iphone alarms to be absolutely positive we are up when we need to be.

Always bring our $10.00 Walmart wind up alarm and it never went off yet!

Why?

1. My DW is up everyday at 5 am doing her walk around Promenade deck before coffee and breakfast and tours. 2.I sleep with the curtains wide open and in the Carribbean our balcony door wide open all night and i wake up just after she has left for walk.

3.Light sleeper...excited on vacation and just wake up before alarm.:)

2. I sleep with the curtains wide open and in the Carribbean our balcony door wide open all night and i wake up just after she has left for walk.
Err... you do know that by keeping your balcony door open, you're messing with everyone else's A/C around you? There's a reason there's a sign on every balcony door:

817534130_BalconyDoorWarning.jpg.a146d201de7d942ce84f55d5a1e6a3c2.jpg

Err... you do know that by keeping your balcony door open, you're messing with everyone else's A/C around you? There's a reason there's a sign on every balcony door:

CAUTION-Possibility of strong winds

It says to maintain temperature in your stateroom,please keep balcony door closed.

(as above,I am NOT trying to maintain temperature.It is OFF)

Well,during the day if u leave balcony door open and then try to open your room door it creates a vacuum and makes your door slam and very difficult to open and dangerous for your fingers ,etc.,but remember when u r on deck and thousands of people all day r opening and closing doors everywhere on the ship with air on and ship is still cold and the side doors on ship when u open them they slam hard ,for same reason,some have a pump like on your home door so it won't slam.

However,with your room air totally off(which i do) as well as a towel across threshhold of door on inside,it has NO effect whatsoever on any room anywhere.:)

My room service coffee is my wake up call. They are very prompt. Now that the IC is around though I guess I'll have to use the wake-up calls too. :p

the time for the earliest breakfast room service delivery was later than the time i needed to get up for my tour! i wasn't brave enough to risk writing in a time and hoping they delivered it then. :)

the time for the earliest breakfast room service delivery was later than the time i needed to get up for my tour! i wasn't brave enough to risk writing in a time and hoping they delivered it then. :)

Room service is available 24 hours a day, so any time you would have written should have been acceptable.

Archived