Criticism of Oceania on River Cruise Board

yorkiemomjn

If any of you have read my posts, you know my husband & I just took our first 'O' cruise this past April. You would also know how very much we loved everything about the cruise. We even booked another cruise for June 2011 while on the ship. When we got home, I told everyone I know about Oceania and how perfect it was, especially for people our age.

Another thing we plan to do is take a river boat cruise down the Rhine. I love to research on CC, so I checked out an interesting thread on the River Cruise board. The title was "What is the "Crystal" of the river cruise world? The "Oceania", The "Celebrity". When I read posting #3, I couldn't hold back! I think people should contact the cruise line and complain, not post it on a board like this!!!! :mad: This was the same ship, probably same crew we had, and his opinion and mine were night and day!!!

Oh, well, I just had to 'vent' on this board.

Judy

I would not worry about it :D

If you talk to 100 people on the same cruise you will get 100 different answers.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise

Lyn

It's okay. I have been on an O cruise that was wonderful and a fellow passenger came back and compared it to having a root canal that took a week to complete.

Sometimes folks book a cruise with certain expectation without doing any homework. They also book on one line expecting it to be just like cruise line B.

Feel good that you were able to travel and brought home the best souvenir....good memories!

We've been on many different lines including Costa and Avalon Waterways

River Cruise.. The only cruise line I will not go on again is NCL but maybe it was just that particular Alaskan cruise. I really didn't care for anything except Alaska. All the other lines were what we expected. Going on Celebrity June 6 to Bermuda. Will it be Oceania? No, but will thoroughly enjoy it (hopefully.)

I was also incensed by that post. I posted in the thread about our good experiences with Vantage, and used the opportunity to mention how much we love Oceania. It was unfortunate that the poster used that thread to make snarky remarks about Oceania. It was not the right place and appeared very petty to me.

Everyone has different criteria, standards and expectations...

Luckily, there is a cruise or a cruise line for everyone...

Personally, I will never cruise with Carnival again and likely not on NCL or Princess...

But whenever I make some mention of how poor my last Carnival cruise was somewhere on these boards...even when backed up with objective reasoning...Carnival afficianados will come out of the woodwork to attack my opinion...It's okay...I understand them--their standards and criteria are different than mine...they want "fun", noisy ships, overcrowding and low prices...I want first class service and uncrowded, well designed ships...They look first for price, I look first for interesting itineraries...The people who think NCL is great think they're getting a great deal and buy into the "we don't tell you what to do" marketing--as if other cruise lines are prison ships...I don't buy it...I can eat in an assigned time OR with open seating, but I care that the service is good and I don't wait for a table or be rushed at dinner...The NCL fans don't notice those things...they probably don't care...fine with me...

I didn't even bother going to the thread the OP referred to...I don't really care what they said...

You have enough people writing about cruises or cruise lines, you are going to find some people who are not happy about any line...

Maybe they are just different from me...

I have always said that you CAN have a great cruise on ANY cruise line...Except, I guess, that not everyone will...Some people are just looking for something and may not get whatever it is on some line...even though the rest of us may see it differently...

That said, no cruise line is perfect...Nobody is going to give you everything you'd want in a perfect world...So, you've got to find what suits you the most...

If you look for negatives, you will find them...If you concentrate on the positives, you can overlook the negatives...

Of course, then there are the people who find negatives where there are none...those people will just never be happy...ignore them...not worth your time...

Everyone has different criteria, standards and expectations...

Luckily, there is a cruise or a cruise line for everyone...

Very good message and well said.

A few months ago someone wrote an extremely negative message on an Oceania cruise. Everything was terrible, including the food and service in both Polo and Toscana. They mentioned a party in Toscana came in after them and finished their first course before these folks even ordered. I asked them if they brought it to the attention of the maitre de. They said no, they were too disgusted and also mentioned they saw someone else complain the staff made a "bid deal" about it. I doubted their facts and it seemed to me they wanted to be dissatisfied making no attempt to make things right. Some people have attitudes or chips on their shoulder and are best ignored.

CC has a nice feature

If you click on USER CP (top left)

Scroll down to Edit Ignore List just add their name & you never have to read their posts again :D

I can't understand why the river cruise poster chose to vent his disatisfaction on the thread. He has a website where although mentioning a particular server who was sub standard and one bad meal he generally has only nice things to say about his cruise. That was 2 years ago so maybe it has soured in his memory (maybe due to alzheimers?).:eek:

I can't understand why the river cruise poster chose to vent his disatisfaction on the thread. He has a website where although mentioning a particular server who was sub standard and one bad meal he generally has only nice things to say about his cruise. That was 2 years ago so maybe it has soured in his memory (maybe due to alzheimers?).:eek:

I read his blog about that cruise, also. It's funny; he never mentioned a comparison to Oceania as a "tugboat" in his own web site. It was only on Cruise Critic that he was so obnoxious, and only then in a thread about river boats.

I'm a little nastier and less patient with folks after my small stroke a few weeks ago; maybe he had a massive stroke in the intervening time :rolleyes:.

I understand that not everyone likes the same thing, but it was way over the top to call Oceania a tug boat! That is what really upset me! Thank you for all your comments and support. I didn't mean to start a 'fight' though. :o I think I will take LTH28's advice and not read any more of this very unreasonable person's advice! :)

I just wanted to add my "two cents worth" to Yorkiemom's comments regarding Oceania. We were on the same Oceania cruise in April, and without a doubt it was one of the most wonderful experiences of cruising we have ever had. The staff, service and food were all exceptional, and we, too, could not wait to book another Oceania Cruise. With almost two dozen cruises under our belt (with a variety of different lines) we knew when we had experienced something exceptional... and I take exception to the miserable poster who compared Celebrity to a tugboat! He obviously needs his head examined!

I can only hope and pray that I never encounter him on a future cruise. Val:)

Some people love what other people hate. Face it, if everybody loved Oceania the way we do, all their cruises would sell out immediately and we would have trouble getting cabins. So the next time you nab the last cabin in the catagory you want, thank that poster for not booking it before you.

I just wanted to add my "two cents worth" to Yorkiemom's comments regarding Oceania. We were on the same Oceania cruise in April, and without a doubt it was one of the most wonderful experiences of cruising we have ever had. The staff, service and food were all exceptional, and we, too, could not wait to book another Oceania Cruise. With almost two dozen cruises under our belt (with a variety of different lines) we knew when we had experienced something exceptional... and I take exception to the miserable poster who compared Celebrity to a tugboat! He obviously needs his head examined!

I can only hope and pray that I never encounter him on a future cruise. Val:)

Val,

Meeting you, Keith, Ruth Ann and Sue was another thing that made the cruise so wonderful! Another reason I love CC is getting to meet people before you even leave and some of those people become your good friends! ;)

I really hope we get to cruise together again!

You crack me up!! :D

CC has a nice feature

If you click on USER CP (top left)

Scroll down to Edit Ignore List just add their name & you never have to read their posts again :D

I never knew that -- thanks for that tip. Doesn't apply to the O board but on the other boards I frequent (HAL and Princess) there are a few names that I'm going to add to the Edit Ignore List.

Then again, there are probably a few people who would add me to that same list...

Okay, everyone, we can now close down this thread. The poster on the river cruise board has retracted his statement of Oceania being a tugboat and also promised to be nice from now on. :rolleyes:

Again, thank you for your support and defense of such a wonderful cruise line. As far as I am concerned Oceania is as near perfect as you can get and someone that calls it a tugboat deserves to be called down.

Judy:D

Archived