Anyone had luck getting taxi to Livorno station lately?

Bobal

We'll be stopping in Livorno in a few months time and want to visit Florence. When we were there around 18 months ago we caught the shuttle to town, bus to the station and train to Pisa which was quite straightforward. However, with Florence being so much further away we have more time constraints and would really like to get off the ship and to Livorno station as soon as possible after we dock. I remember last time we hung around for ages waiting for the port bus to fill up and leave but that taxis were refusing to take people to the station as they wanted to pick up a bigger fare by doing a longer journey or a tour.

Has anyone had experience lately with managing to get a taxi from the dock to the station, very early in the morning.

It wasn't exactly yesterday, but in 9 months ago we had no problem whatsoever finding a taxi to take 5 of us to the station for 20 Euro. We added 5 Euro for a tip so we each paid 5 Euro. We just walked over to the line of taxis and I think the first one took us without even the blink of an eye. Maybe we were just lucky. We were one of the first ones off the ship.

taxis were refusing to take people to the station as they wanted to pick up a bigger fare by doing a longer journey or a tour.

Did you actually hear them saying this? Because I keep seeing this on these boards, but our experience couldn't have been more different. Our taxi driver was happy to take us to the train station, even seemed to be expecting that direction. He was also fine with waiting a couple of minutes for another couple to share the cab.

Is it even legal for a taxi to refuse a destination within their service area?

I didn't hear them myself but we were waiting in line for the shuttle bus and several people came to join the line because they'd tried to get taxis to the station and the drivers weren't interested. Perhaps they were particularly grumpy that day :rolleyes:

I was just there and the taxis were not taking the short runs. Maybe if you get off super early they will run you there because they can get back. Many of the drivers get there a couple of hours early just to insure their place in line, so I can understand why they would want to wait for an all day fare.

I was just there and the taxis were not taking the short runs. Maybe if you get off super early they will run you there because they can get back. Many of the drivers get there a couple of hours early just to insure their place in line, so I can understand why they would want to wait for an all day fare.

Thanks, that what I suspected might happen, as I know it's happened a lot in the past. I'm very reluctant to pay the RCI coach tour to Florence when I've done the trip to Pisa by train and know how easy (and cheap) it can be. However, with bigger time restraints going that much further to Florence I don't want to be left without the option of getting a taxi then having to wait around for the port bus to leave. Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and fork out £58 per person for the coach trip :mad:

At the end of April when I was there, we had no problem getting a taxi to the station. We were one of the firsts off the ship, and there was one man near the taxis kind of directing things. We got straight in the taxi, flew through Livorno :eek: and 8 Euros later we were at the train station in time for the first train to Florence. Worked out perfectly! And no complaints or comments about the short trip. After reading this board, I was very surprised!

At the end of April when I was there, we had no problem getting a taxi to the station. We were one of the firsts off the ship, and there was one man near the taxis kind of directing things. We got straight in the taxi, flew through Livorno :eek: and 8 Euros later we were at the train station in time for the first train to Florence. Worked out perfectly! And no complaints or comments about the short trip. After reading this board, I was very surprised!

RN:

Wow--that's great--hoping we can do the same when we're there in August. 8 Euro...is that all the taxi cost?

Thanks,

Kevin

The taxi fare from the port to the train station is fixed at 20 euros. Up to 6 people will fit in most taxis. Maybe they had 3 people and tipped 4 euros?

No, it was only DH and I. The fare on the meter was 7E and some change, and that's what he asked for.

This is what we are planning in July. I think the key may be gettting off early where the taxi can circle back before most people get off. We plan on being at the front of the line. I am actually more worried about the taxi back but we are allowing enough time where we can just about walk back from the train station ;).

Kirk

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from Ruby Princess on June 11th. A local co was offering a shuttle tranfer to train station for 14 euro round trip. The shuttle left the port at 7:20 & they were very prompt. We got the 8:10 train to Florence.

Shuttle returned from train station at 5:00. Again they were very prompt. It was worth it to us to not have to worry about getting a taxi there & back after reading that some people had trouble getting a taxi.

Just returned from Ruby Princess on June 11th. A local co was offering a shuttle tranfer to train station for 14 euro round trip. The shuttle left the port at 7:20 & they were very prompt. We got the 8:10 train to Florence.

Shuttle returned from train station at 5:00. Again they were very prompt. It was worth it to us to not have to worry about getting a taxi there & back after reading that some people had trouble getting a taxi.

Penny, I'm interested in this. Where did you find the shuttle. Were they parked at the port?

Archived