Need Directions to Train from Monaco Port

kjg46

Our cruise ship will be making a stop in Monaco. Can anyone advise where cruise ships normally dock or tender in the port? I need directions from the port to take the train for a day in Nice.

If you ship docks it will be at the port which is right off the Quai Antoine. From there it is a good 1 mile to the train station, and it is anything but flat. If you want to go to the train station you might prefer using the local buses or grabbing a taxi. Although the train to Nice is relatively fast, we personally prefer to take the #100 bus for several reasons. The bus is cheap (only 1 Euro), it is a much shorter walk to the bus stop, and we like the view from the bus much better then the train which spends a lot of time in tunnels. The bus is also more convenient for going to Nice old town since the bus station (Gare Routiere) is located much closer to the old town then the train station.

Hank

Hank, can you tell me where to catch the bus to Nice from the port? We will be traveling with my 80 year old parents so better to have some idea where we are going rather than wander around. Also, can you just pay on the bus or do you need a ticket in advance?

Thanks very much for your help.

Holly

Hank, can you tell me where to catch the bus to Nice from the port? We will be traveling with my 80 year old parents so better to have some idea where we are going rather than wander around. Also, can you just pay on the bus or do you need a ticket in advance?

Thanks very much for your help.

Holly

I am going to "cop out" and not give you exact directions because darned if I remember. But, we walked off the pier, through the marina (you just walk along the marina with the water on your right), exited the port area and beared slightly left until we came to the street where there was a bus stop! Now, we did cheat a bit by asking a few folks along the way where to get the bus. Keep in mind that it is nearly a 1/2 mile walk because its quite a distance just getting off the pier and thought the marina. You do pay the driver as you get on the bus (it was 1 Euro) and the driver can give you change although they do perfer small denominations. Keep in mind that tourists are the norm in this region, everyone is used to dealing with tourists, and many folks do speak some English. Of course you can always use bad French and say something like "Oe et Le Bus." :) And remember, you are looking for bus #100 (if you are going to Nice).

Hank

We will be stopping in Villefrance and hoping to take the train to Monaco...any idea of the cost and if the service is fairly frequent?

Trains generally run about twice an hour although sometimes it does vary. It takes about 15 min to get to Monte Carlo and I think the fare is approximately 5 Euros (one way). However, they do sell a day fare for 12 Euros which gives you unlimited use of the trains along the cote d'azur. This only makes sense if you are going to use at least 3 trains.

Hank

We were in Monaco last week. The bus #100 leaves every20 minutes and does the lower comiche route. bus 112 the middle cormiche to eze village and nice leave a 6:42 am arriving in nice at 7:49. 8:00 9:45 11:25 !:20. Returns were 12:30 2:15 and 4;10 with the later arrive in monaco at 5:00pm Trains were 13 after the hour, 33 after the hour and 43 after the hour in the early morning. The train was was 23 minutes to Nice, and a little over an hour to Canes. Trains back were at 20 after the hour and 50 after the hour. Only two, might have been the time of day. Round trip to Nice was 6.2 euros, and to Canes 16.4 euros. There is a great toursit office at the port who can assist you.

Archived